2,950 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
34 minutes ago, David1987 said:

Man I am sorry to hear that. Does that mean you gonna have to go for yet another interview for i751? It doesn't make sense to do n400 without i751.

Why test someone for Citizenship if they have doubts about your marriage?

Do they not have your i751 application in hand? Is he not qualified enough to make that call and needs a more senior member to approve?

I hope this is it for you and don't have to go back again for i751.

Did you bring your spouse?

Well because this is Philly office and my interview is literally a week apart from yours, there is a high chance my outcome won't be much different than yours. True, I did get a response saying that they would be adjucated together but that was generic statement from USCIS and you would have gotten the same response back had you actually heard from them. 

I'm pretty sure when I go and mention pending i751 and provide the response about both being adjucated together, they gonna deflect it. 

Oh well congratulations on passing citizenship ship test regardless. At this point there's nothing to be concerned with since I doubt they'd let u go through with n400 if they thought there was anything wrong or needed more evidence. 

@dilip can you please detail the whole experience, as in what time u got there, how long u had to wait, what they asked you, what documents you brought and what docs they asked, how long it took, how was the interviewer....

Mine is in about a week and I'll definitely post on here about my experience. Please keep us posted about any update on your application or mails. 

Thank you so much for sharing!

And congrats again!

Go for a walk on Kelly drive in this beautiful gharmi weather :) "I'm Desi too"

Dave

Interview  was at 11:45 am,  parked 2 hr parking (street parking, $2) for two hours @ 11:05 am.  When through security at 11:10 am.  Check with receptionist after security. She said go to second floor, door one.  There were three doors.  We reached there around 11:20 am.  Called for interview @ 11:50 AM.  Out 12:35 pm.  First 20 minutes of , no talk, he was busy checking computer , then oath and then 6 questions, read a sentence, " how lives in the White House" and write " The President lives in the White House".  We took a lot of paper and original. He did not ask any.  At the interview, ask to sign two papers and sing on key pad.  At the end I ask about I-751, he said , he was aware of i-751 pending and he will look into it. 

Edited by dilip

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mauritius
Timeline
2 minutes ago, dilip said:

Interview  was at 11:45 am,  parked 2 hr parking (street parking, $2) for two houses @ 11:05 am.  When through security at 11:10 am.  Check with receptionist after security. She said go to second floor, door one.  There were three doors.  We reached there around 11:20 am.  Called for interview @ 11:50 AM.  Out 12:40 pm.  First 20 minutes of , no talk, he was busy 

Did u go with wife?

What docs u brought me what questions or docs officer asked?

Timeline
3 minutes ago, David1987 said:

Did u go with wife?

What docs u brought me what questions or docs officer asked?

Yes, IO officer asked:  did you bring your spouse, I said yes.  All originals as per N-400 and a few latest bank statements and 2018 tax transcript .  He did not ask for any.  Except six questions, writing and reading, he did go through the N-400 and ask yes and no questions.  

6 questions: [1] Who was the first President [2] What is one right or freedom of first amendment [3] How old citizen has to be to vote for President [4] What did Susan B' Anthony did [5]  When we celebrate Independence Day [6] What one promise you make when you become a United States Citizen.

1 hour ago, dilip said:

That is not the case for me.  Only N-400 interview, no I-751 and IO officer did not ask any new documents and did not say anything about I-751, when  I mentioned about no  I-751 approval yet,  he said  that he was aware of it.  So passed N-400, but no decision.  However, each case is different and also each IO officer is different.  Best of luck with you upcoming interview and make sure to update your outcome

My biggest gripe throughout this process has been the inconsistency. I think USCIS office should apply the same approach nationally - as in, there should only be 1 approach. But since that is unlikely, at the very least each office should be consistent in how they process these applications. It's unfair, that depending on the IO you get, your experience can vary so greatly. I understand if there are issues pertaining to a particular case, then a different approach may be warranted etc. But, on face value, it is just so awful how outcomes seem to come down to the individual IO and what they feel like doing.

ROC Window Opened: Thursday 7th December 2017

Posted Package: Friday 8th December

Package Received at USCIS: Monday 11th December

Check Cashed: Thursday 21 December

NOA Received: Wednesday 27 December

NOA Dated: Tuesday 12 December

Biometrics Letter Received: Saturday 13 January 2018

Biometrics Letter Notice Date: Friday 5 January

Biometrics Appointment: Wednesday 24 January

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

N-400 Applied 7th December 2018

N400 Interview 11th July 2019. Ended up being a ROC combo interview

ROC Approved 11th July 2019 (a few hours after interview)

N-400 Approved 11th July (a few hours after interview)

Oath Ceremony 22nd July - I am now a US citizen!

I went through Philadelphia:

Thursday July 11: I had my Naturalization Interview

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

Friday July 12: Oath Ceremony Notice was mailed

Monday July 22: Oath Ceremony

Wednesday July 24: Certificare of Naturalization was mailed

44 minutes ago, David1987 said:

Awesome !! Mine too is in early July in Philly as well. I'll keep an eye on your posts.

Nice to see another Philly local!

I felt I was getting close to the end of this process, but reading about the experience @dilip had, I am not so sure.

Of course, there is always the chance that things will still move quickly, and the ROC will get approved in the background...it's just that the vacuum of silence, and knowing that the USCIS blackhole is very real, well...it doesn't give one much comfort or confidence.

Edited by Ausa
typo

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 30 July (in an envelope from 'Potomac Service Center' Arlington VA)

I-797 NOA I751 18 Months Extension Letter Received: 08 August (in an envelope from 'Vermont Service Center' St Albans VT) different version!

On February 27, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

On April 9, 2018, we received your Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, Receipt Number EAC xxxxxxx at your local office :unsure: ?!

Thursday July 11: A few hours later updated to show Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled

28 minutes ago, dilip said:

Interview  was at 11:45 am,  parked 2 hr parking (street parking, $2) for two hours @ 11:05 am.  When through security at 11:10 am.  Check with receptionist after security. She said go to second floor, door one.  There were three doors.  We reached there around 11:20 am.  Called for interview @ 11:50 AM.  Out 12:35 pm.  First 20 minutes of , no talk, he was busy checking computer , then oath and then 6 questions, read a sentence, " how lives in the White House" and write " The President lives in the White House".  We took a lot of paper and original. He did not ask any.  At the interview, ask to sign two papers and sing on key pad.  At the end I ask about I-751, he said , he was aware of i-751 pending and he will look into it. 

Thanks for asking the questions @David1987 and thanks for the answers @dilip

If someone cares about interview questions, I had an interview in San Bernardino field office. 

Reading part: What do we pay to the government?

Writing part: We pay taxes.

6 questions: (I copied them from my Notes on the phone and I can’t make letters smaller, sorry 😐)

-What prevents one branch from becoming more powerful than other?

-Who signs the bills to become law

-What is supreme law of the land 

-Who becomes president if President and Vice President can’t longer serve

-what is the highest Court in the country 

-what is an amendment?

sorry, I can’t remember the questions form exactly like from that book. 

Edited by Nayda

Timeline
3 hours ago, Ausa said:

My biggest gripe throughout this process has been the inconsistency. I think USCIS office should apply the same approach nationally - as in, there should only be 1 approach. But since that is unlikely, at the very least each office should be consistent in how they process these applications. It's unfair, that depending on the IO you get, your experience can vary so greatly. I understand if there are issues pertaining to a particular case, then a different approach may be warranted etc. But, on face value, it is just so awful how outcomes seem to come down to the individual IO and what they feel like doing.

Yes, no consistency.  My case is not complicated and no additional questions were asked except yes or no and did not check or ask any new documents.  It seems that IO office did not spend time before interview to look into my  I-751 ( however I am not clear if he has my file, but he told me that I have to review your file when I said my I-751 is not approved and a folder was on his table at the far corner of his L shape desk).  Since my status still says at local office APRIL 9, 2018 and I did not receive any transfer notice, I am not sure where it is and IO did not confirm he has it.

I have seen a few friendly IO officers.  One lady had interview before me and her IO  came out and talked with her husband and told him to bring a document before he could approve her.    Another IO officer ( African American), was very friendly and she came out and called the candidate with smile face. 

My IO officer is serious.  

4 hours ago, dilip said:

Yes, no consistency.  My case is not complicated and no additional questions were asked except yes or no and did not check or ask any new documents.  It seems that IO office did not spend time before interview to look into my  I-751 ( however I am not clear if he has my file, but he told me that I have to review your file when I said my I-751 is not approved and a folder was on his table at the far corner of his L shape desk).  Since my status still says at local office APRIL 9, 2018 and I did not receive any transfer notice, I am not sure where it is and IO did not confirm he has it.

I have seen a few friendly IO officers.  One lady had interview before me and her IO  came out and talked with her husband and told him to bring a document before he could approve her.    Another IO officer ( African American), was very friendly and she came out and called the candidate with smile face. 

My IO officer is serious.  

I would take serious over rude any day.  Because I had the latter.

Hello All, I have some questions regarding submitting N-400 ONLINE while I-751 pending:

1, The step of uploading evidence, should I also upload extension letter along with expired green card or I should upload it under "other evidence" in the process?

2, Should I upload all evidence I collected AFTER the date submitting I-751? 

Thank you in advance!

Timeline
On 6/29/2019 at 8:51 PM, Tar999 said:

I would take serious over rude any day.  Because I had the latter.

After online filing they will ask specific documents.  Upload those and in other you can upload some documents but not all evidence you submitted for I-751.  You can add the extension letter in others.  I did not.  They know everything about you , particularly that your I-751 is pending.

Submit: [1] three years IRS tax transcript [2] Expired green card [3] Marriage certificate [4] If second marriage, then related documents [4] US citizen passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate [5] Diver licence or state ID [6] Birth certificate 

During interview, IO did not see any documents and did not ask for any extra documents.  However, you can take with you latest bank and other latest documents you submitted for I-751 for insurance ( if wants to see any)

Edited by dilip

57 minutes ago, dilip said:

After online filing they will ask specific documents.  Upload those and in other you can upload some documents but not all evidence you submitted for I-751.  You can add the extension letter in others.  I did not.  They know everything about you , particularly that your I-751 is pending.

Submit: [1] three years IRS tax transcript [2] Expired green card [3] Marriage certificate [4] If second marriage, then related documents [4] US citizen passport, birth certificate or naturalization certificate [5] Diver licence or state ID [6] Birth certificate 

During interview, IO did not see any documents and did not ask for any extra documents.  However, you can take with you latest bank and other latest documents you submitted for I-751 for insurance ( if wants to see any)

@dilip  thank you! ( I assume you quoted the wrong poster and was meant to answer my questions. 🙂  ) 

I only upload everything and saved the draft online, after seeing some not very pleasant experience for "combine interviews", I start to question if I should really submit N-400 while 751 pending, I mean it'd be lucky to get a friendly & experienced IO who can do combine interview & give us a easy time but you just never know... 

I hope you hear the good news soon on your case. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Nepal
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Livkev said:

@dilip  thank you! ( I assume you quoted the wrong poster and was meant to answer my questions. 🙂  ) 

I only upload everything and saved the draft online, after seeing some not very pleasant experience for "combine interviews", I start to question if I should really submit N-400 while 751 pending, I mean it'd be lucky to get a friendly & experienced IO who can do combine interview & give us a easy time but you just never know... 

I hope you hear the good news soon on your case. 

@livkev I hear you. I had similar thoughts and kept my application on draft for almost a year. I submitted my N-400 application immediately after I received my interview letter for I-751. They didn't do a combo interview but my naturalization interview was scheduled way earlier than I expected.

Here's a quick snapshot for reference, all dates are for 2019.

March 20: Received I-751 interview letter scheduled for April 25

March 25: Submitted N-400

April 18: Bio appointment for N-400

April 25: I-751 interview

April 30: Green card arrived

June 11: N-400 interview scheduled for July 17

Submit as much as you can for anything from the past 3 years, especially tax return transcripts, joint account statements, joint utility bills, joint assets, joint insurance, pictures together and more. Anything that shows mingling of financial assets and/or liabilities.

Double check everything before hitting the submit button though. I made a grave error 😭 I had recently moved and I just changed my current address on the application. I completely forgot that it was the list of addresses I was changing. So, basically my application was missing an entire address. I did submit an affidavit to correct it as soon as I caught the mistake but I wasn't sure if the IO in charge would even consider the update.

Thankfully, the IO at my I-751 interview was stern but really helpful. I told him about the error and I gave him a print out of the affidavit I had submitted online. He updated my addresses as they should be. 😅

Wish you all the best.

Timeline

Some people had luck to get combine interview and got both approved.  Case like me and a few other on this board  only N-400 interview and no decision can be made and waiting game again.  I am also now wondering whether I did or didn't do the right thing  apply N-400  while I-751 is still pending.  Time will tell.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.