Ban Hammer

Speak Dutch or be fired

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Belgian auto parts supplier has forbidden its workers to speak any language other than Dutch, even during their lunch break, and employees could be fired if they disobey.

"We have people from Italy, India, Poland, Algeria here. It's to avoid cliques forming here and there," said Geert Vermote, human resources manager of HP Pelzer in the town of Genk in Belgium's Dutch-speaking Flanders region.

Language is a sensitive topic in Belgium, particularly in Flanders where locals and politicians are keen to promote the use of Dutch and prevent the encroachment of the country's other main language, French.

Two staff at HP Pelzer have so far received written warnings, out of a workforce of 125 employees, some 70 percent of whom are of foreign origin. Three warnings would lead to a worker being fired.

Belgian newspaper De Standaard reported Thursday that workers of Turkish origin, who make up some 35 percent of the company's workforce, felt the rule was aimed against them and had asked the union to intervene.

Vermote said the rule had been agreed with the company's works council and said the "three strikes" rule applied to warnings of any form.

"It's really nothing other than other rules we have, such as a ban on smoking," he said.

link

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I lived in Holland for a few years. If you speak English, it is not easy to speak Dutch. It does not matter how hard you study, everyone prefers to speak English with native English speakers. At big corporations, English is more important than Dutch. (Weird, isn't it...) The Brits, Irish and Americans had an easy time as expats.

On the other hand, being from North Africa or Turkey is not easy in Holland.

It struck me as being as silly as how Mexicans are often treated in the US.

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - A Belgian auto parts supplier has forbidden its workers to speak any language other than Dutch, even during their lunch break, and employees could be fired if they disobey.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline

Yeah, a friend of ours who is American moved to Holland and got married to a Dutch man. She had to take Dutch classes and reach a certain level before being legally able to work, yet most people speak English at her company....

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

yea I think there's a very high % of people in Holland that are bilingual or even more languages... but yea I think legally you can't get a job unless you speak dutch

El Presidente of VJ

regalame una sonrisita con sabor a viento

tu eres mi vitamina del pecho mi fibra

tu eres todo lo que me equilibra,

un balance, lo que me conplementa

un masajito con sabor a menta,

Deutsch: Du machst das richtig

Wohnen Heute

3678632315_87c29a1112_m.jpgdancing-bear.gif

Filed: Timeline

A friend of my daughters has just returned from Holland and said that he had to learn Dutch to work. I would say if you are going to live in a different country at least learn some of the language even if it is just hello. People do not know how frustrating it is to have other people speak in a language you do not know all day. I have just had that experience at a company I have just finished with, the girls spoke Polish all day and I was not involved in the conversation at all and I am in England.

3dflagsdotcom_us_wa_2fawm.gif3dflagsdotcom_ukeng_2fawm.gif

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
This is absolutely ludicrous to micromanage peoples' break times & try to govern 'cliques'

And it's Belgium, not Holland...so what's wrong with French?

D'Oh. It really is Belgium that this thread is about :)

Yeah, I don't know why they don't require French instead. Weird.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline
This is absolutely ludicrous to micromanage peoples' break times & try to govern 'cliques'

[T]he town of Genk in Belgium's Dutch-speaking Flanders region. Language is a sensitive topic in Belgium, particularly in Flanders where locals and politicians are keen to promote the use of Dutch and prevent the encroachment of the country's other main language, French.

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

[T]he town of Genk in Belgium's Dutch-speaking Flanders region. Language is a sensitive topic in Belgium, particularly in Flanders where locals and politicians are keen to promote the use of Dutch and prevent the encroachment of the country's other main language, French.

I thought it was Flemish, I know it's a form of Dutch.

I remember a Dutch friend telling me that at the company he worked for, a subsidiary of a Finnish company, they all spoke English. The Dutch seem to be very good at languages but Finnish is not high on the list.

They had some IT issues, the instructions had come from Germany and they had been translated into English, the problem was solved when they found out that the Germans had translated them from an English (American) original.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline
yea I think there's a very high % of people in Holland that are bilingual or even more languages... but yea I think legally you can't get a job unless you speak dutch

I got hired and I did not speak Dutch enough for professional use. I was not a permanent resident, the company sponsored my work visa (if that makes a difference).

What I understood is if you are on family based residency, you need to pass certain level of fluency in Dutch to able to work.

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Timeline
[T]he town of Genk in Belgium's Dutch-speaking Flanders region Language is a sensitive topic in Belgium, particularly in Flanders where locals and politicians are keen to promote the use of Dutch and prevent the encroachment of the country's other main language, French.

whoops, missed that bit!

Edited by LisaD

What I understood is if you are on family based residency, you need to pass certain level of fluency in Dutch to able to work.

That is correct. You also need to pass a certain level to actual be allowed to live in Holland permanently. They just want people to be able to take part in everyday life and to be able to at least speak and understand the basic things, so they won't be completely clueless when the go to a grocery store or the doctor's. Mind you this goes for Holland though, Belgium has their own set of rules.

f##k those ethnocentric chops...they did not care what language the american/english troops spoke when the liberated their piss ant size country

Peace to All creatures great and small............................................

But when we turn to the Hebrew literature, we do not find such jokes about the donkey. Rather the animal is known for its strength and its loyalty to its master (Genesis 49:14; Numbers 22:30).

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

my burro, bosco ..enjoying a beer in almaty

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...st&id=10835

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
f##k those ethnocentric chops...they did not care what language the american/english troops spoke when the liberated their piss ant size country

LOL, hope Swirly does not see this post! :)