kanderson101

What constitutes a "fiance"?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice on this topic. My boyfriend and I have been together for 8 years now, but because we're relatively young we don't have the money to pay for a wedding. Technically, my boyfriend hasn't yet proposed in a "formal" way. That being said, we are planning on submitting an I-129f. We have both agreed that we will get married within the 90 day time limit, but we don't want many of our friends to know. We plan on getting "publically" engaged/married in a few years when we have the means to do so. I'm wondering if this will raise a red flag at immigration. I don't have a ring/proposal story/wedding plans to discuss but I thought if I was honest and discussed the financial reasons why we aren't formally engaged that would be okay.

Does anyone feel that this would be unacceptable in an interview? 

Thanks so much, this is really the only thing I'm worried about. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

The answer is always "it depends". 

However, you have a long relationship which overrides a lot. 

Nothing says you have to have a party or show that you've told anyone.  I wouldn't highlight that point, but just have a wedding date.  I guess the decision to file for the visa is a proposal. 

I think with your long history, other proof, just saying how you agreed it was time to get married and having a civil ceremony should be fine.  Having a later bigger ceremony is not unusual at all when visa timelines must be met. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
27 minutes ago, kanderson101 said:

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice on this topic. My boyfriend and I have been together for 8 years now, but because we're relatively young we don't have the money to pay for a wedding. Technically, my boyfriend hasn't yet proposed in a "formal" way. That being said, we are planning on submitting an I-129f. We have both agreed that we will get married within the 90 day time limit, but we don't want many of our friends to know. We plan on getting "publically" engaged/married in a few years when we have the means to do so. I'm wondering if this will raise a red flag at immigration. I don't have a ring/proposal story/wedding plans to discuss but I thought if I was honest and discussed the financial reasons why we aren't formally engaged that would be okay.

Does anyone feel that this would be unacceptable in an interview? 

Thanks so much, this is really the only thing I'm worried about. 

The main thing is you have to be married in 90 days after entering with a k1 visa.

Future plans are important. Not that you have an engagement ring or a party, but being publicly official is also important cause it means you're genuine. I don't think financial reasons would be a good start.

financial reasons and beliefs on not having a ring or a party is ok. But the rest may seem weird. 

And during the AOS process too, they may ask for photos of wedding (or at least city hall pictures), pictures with friends and family. People who know you're married-getting married- 

But again it always depends on your evidence. 

Edited by Naes

Timeline

That's very helpful! Thank you both. We're definitely both on board with getting married, but the actual wedding will probably be a few years from now. I suppose the best thing to do is just to be clear about that.  Our families both know, and some very very close friends, it's just not something we're sharing with everybody yet. I suppose you could say that we'd both just like our actual wedding to be somewhat of a "surprise". It's not much of a surprise when you've been married for 2 years hahaha. 

Thank you! 

Timeline

That is a good point! Yes, I meant the celebration. We would get married in a heartbeat if his visa is approved. : )  Thank you for the tip though, it's good to be aware of wording as I'm sure that's important during interviews. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

alot of people i know did this. where are you from? if it isnt a high fraud country (Canada, VWP countries) you will be fine!

Timeline

I'm American, my boyfriend is from Belgium! I don't believe that's a high-fraud country. And we have tons of proof of relationship if needed so in general I'm not concerned. It was just this one thing that I was worried about explaining. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 minutes ago, kanderson101 said:

I'm American, my boyfriend is from Belgium! I don't believe that's a high-fraud country. And we have tons of proof of relationship if needed so in general I'm not concerned. It was just this one thing that I was worried about explaining. 

Yes you are fine!! it isnt high fraud so you wont have any problems! lots of people i know never told anyone bc they wanted a 'big' wedding later and knew if people found out, no one would come! Belgium is low fraud, you wont have any issues:) 

If you don't have a money for a wedding how are you planning on paying for your foreign fiance AOS (over 1000$) and also supporting him when he arrives and he's unable to legally work for 3 to 4 months from the moment you submit aos? Also no one promise he will find a job fast even with a job permit. Also with k1 visa you have to get married with in 90 days. 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline

Hi Roel, those are good questions. My income allows for supporting my boyfriend while he is unable to work as well as paying for the AOS, and he has savings as well. Additionally, I am lucky enough to have a family that will support me in the event that I need to prove my ability to provide (e.g. affidavit of support). While we could technically afford to have a wedding celebration/party, our plans for such a celebration would include families and friends from two different continents, and at this point in time our money is better spent elsewhere. We have no problem getting married within 90 days, but we won't be having the traditional wedding celebration at that time. Thanks!

Me and fiance just got approved a couple weeks ago... our plan is to get married in a court house in January but it will be very intimate with only my dad and his mum and dad attending. I was the same as you I wanted to have a big wedding and at first I was in the mind set of not telling anybody apart from family and close friends as I wouldn't want our marriage in January to take the shine away from our big wedding. As time went on I was thinking 'hm when we get married I'll want to shout it from the rooftops lol' so I changed my mind. We're still having the intimate wedding in January and then plan on a big wedding in 2020 for everybody to attend, my family is from the UK so I wanted to give them enough time to save to be able to attend. 

We both announced our plans to our family and friends and they are all so excited to go! The thing is, the shine won't be taken from your big wedding as the majority of the people attending won't have witnessed your first small wedding and they will be excited to be able to share that happy & special day with you! 

I-129F Sent: 21/02/2017                                                                                                                                                 Marriage: 12/01/2018

I-129F Received Date: 23/02/2017                                                                                                                               AOS/EAD/AP Sent :

I-129F NOA1: 28/02/2017

RFE: 12/07/2017

RFE Hard Copy Received: 17/07/2017

RFE Response Sent Back: 18/07/2017

RFE Received By USCIS: 21/07/2017

I-129F NOA2: 18/08/2017 (176 Days)

NVC Received: 31/08/2017 (13 Days)

NVC Left: 06/09/2017 (6 Days)

Consulate Received: 08/09/2017

Letter from embassy (Packet 3): 11/09/2017
Medical at Knightsbridge: 28/09/2017

Interview: 10/10/2017 APPROVED!!!!

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
6 hours ago, kanderson101 said:

but the actual wedding will probably be a few years from now

For immigration purposes the actual wedding will be within 90 days of your arrival. Don't talk at all about a different wedding or another wedding. That could really raise red flags. Keep it simple and just say you're getting married within 90 days. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.