Rosy1986

Divorcing while I-751 is pending

6 posts in this topic

Dear All, 

I have had to leave my husband two weeks ago, but my I751 is still pending. I wonder how do I go about notifying USCIS that I have separated or do I have to for now? I called their number 5+ times and spoke to a number of agents, however I have not received a single useful advice on whether I should send them letters or no. I bought myself a mailbox for a year (similar to PO box) and changed the mailing address on my application. I also told them verbally about my situation and that I have had to escape my husband and move out of State (my husband turned out to be an extremely manipulative sociopath/psychopath). I do not even know how attorneys would help if I hire one because I do not wish to complicate the situation, I have enough problems handling my divorce process etc. I was thinking to present the divorce paper only when it's available or write to them if they send an RFE or ask for more information. 

The main issue is that since I have just filed for divorce, it could take a few months to a year or even longer until my divorcee decree is issued. I know USCIS needs evidence but I would like to make sure that I do not mess up the application process by sending complicated information, telling them how my husband turned out to be a psychopath and all my research results, consultations, therapies, email and call logs including evidence about 4 year lies and deception. I was simply asked to escape him due to physically, mentally, emotionally challenging situation, because these disordered people are not capable to love/emotions/empathy/remorse/etc. We had a whirlwind romance, real love and a happy marriage but a recent situation complicated things and revealed his dangerous personality that I had to run and hide from.

Thank you 

*~*~*moved from "USCIS service centers" to "effects of major family changes" where similar topics are discussed*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Why don't you first check this document and ask more if something is not clear https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/2009/i-751_Filed_ Prior_Termination_3apr09.pdf

There are a lot of VJers who went thru what you're experiencing, I'm sure someone would help. Good luck!

Hello Charmander, that document link you sent to me was very helpful! Thank you so much!!! I have read it a few times already and it is clear that I am not in trouble. I did what they asked and I can only make changes when my divorce decree is available. I was panicking too much. I also came across some articles that are also positive, I couldn't have applied with a waiver anyways and I have submitted enough proof for bona fide relationship so it may be possible that they contact me with an interview letter or RFE and THEN i will notify them about my situation. I would rather not initiate things right now since they have no process to report a separation verbally or in writing (they just need judge's decision basically).

The only problem now is that my American husband reported me as a fraud to USCIS blaming me that I married him for money and when I left, i didn't leave him with any note (both were lies). He started a smear campaign to look good because he is a psychopath. I have all the evidence to prove him wrong but he is just in rage that I left and wanted me back. After my attorney asked me to call the Police on him, things got changed, he started shifting a blame on me. He was lying about his identity, his marriages, battered wives, kids, criminal records, STDs, titles and income and so on. It was really traumatising to come face to face with my husband, unmasked. 

Thanks for your comment again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Rosy1986, your previous thread was closed by another VJ Moderator who included a "do not restart" provision.  Normally, violating this would incur administrative action, such as a suspension; however, because you're new, the only action to be taken now will be to lock this thread.  If you restart this topic or refer to it elsewhere, your account will be subjected to admin action.  Good luck to you in your situation.

TBoneTX

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.