R&OC

Anyone else with a temporary dependent military ID for spouses?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue?

My dependent military ID expires every 90 days until I receive my social security number. Did anyone else experience the same problems? I wonder if every office handles it differently?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

None of my friends had this issue either. Thinking back, I got my ID in 2013, and they just said to come back in with my SSN when I have it and they'll update the records accordingly. DEERS/Tricare etc everyone we spoke to were fine with my not having one so long as I provided one within a time period. It didn't effect benefits or anything. If you have an Alien # they can input that in lieu of the SSN and you just call when you have it. They can also generate a TIN at the RAPIDS office, they did this for me if I recall right. 

Hubby is at work atm but if you don't get an answer besides mine before then I'll ask him when he's home. I'm sorry you have another stress on top of/because of immigration. 

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
1 hour ago, R&OC said:

My dependent military ID expires every 90 days until I receive my social security number. Did anyone else experience the same problems? I wonder if every office handles it differently?

Yes, I have known of some people having that issue......but they don't even use SSns on ID cards anymore.  Did they generate a DOD number for you?

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

Yes, I received a DoD number and I am enrolled in Tricare but I was told that I need to come back every 90 days (with my husband or POA) and get a new one until I am receiving my SSN number. 

I already have a SSN BUT can't find my blue SSN card as I was outside the US for more than ten years. I simply lost it. SSN office does not want to replace it until I get a green card. I wanted to change my name on the SSN record to my married name but I have no "right" to do that before the CR-1 visa is approved. However, if I access the SSN internet site, they offer a waiver if I can prove that i need that SSN for government purposes. But one needs to bring a letter arguing why I need it and which law/regulation they are justifiable applying.

Maybe I am creating more trouble than needed right now and I wish I still had my old card. I was holding it in my hands about 3 years ago and for can't recall where I placed it. And I am normally very good in keeping records and official documentation. 

Is it a case where every DEERS office deals with it differently?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I think it's more the individual sorting out your card. We were lucky that another SGT in the room knew what we were talking about asking for a TIN to be generated as the first one trying to help us was ready to turn us away. 

event.png

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
On 10/15/2017 at 5:07 PM, R&OC said:

Mine did too. We went to the office before the first one expired. She asked for my ssn and I said that right now I don’t have one but we are in the process fort he green card. Then she said she’s gonna give us a regular DOD card and I have to come in as soon as I have my SSN so they can put it in the system. My new DOD card expires 2021.

May 20th: we got married 

August 7: I130, I131, I485, I765 via USPS to Chicago lockbox 

August 10: package arrived

August 10: priority date 

August 16: checks cashed 

August 17: received notification via text and email

August 22: received NOA’S

August 25: received biometrics appointment

Sept 5: Biometrics done

Oct 10: submitted expedite

Oct 17: faxed job offer

Nov 14: interview scheduled

Dec 19: interview 

Dec 19: Interview done

Dec 19: Approved and temporary stamp in passport

Jan 1: Green Card received in mailbox

Jun 19 2019: ROC

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 10/24/2017 at 3:22 PM, JackUrban said:

Mine did too. We went to the office before the first one expired. She asked for my ssn and I said that right now I don’t have one but we are in the process fort he green card. Then she said she’s gonna give us a regular DOD card and I have to come in as soon as I have my SSN so they can put it in the system. My new DOD card expires 2021.

That's awesome! It seems that when hitting a grey area, the room to navigate is interpreted differently

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.