aussiewench

A few more questions, DCF Sydney

226 posts in this topic

Hi David.....good to see you found this thread :thumbs:

You are going to do great. Sydney is easy peasy and many here to help you through it. So any questions or if you are needing confirmation on something, just ask away.

I gotta say it again.......

5 DAYS TILL MY INTERVIEW :dance::dance:

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

First off... again let me say thank you to Karo. She's been a great help and I've been asking her plenty of questions... maybe I'll go ahead and throw them out here so I can get everyone involved.

Here's something that crossed my mind... Stephanie and I plan on getting married in January and hopefully set up our interview date immediately following. I was told that when she fills out the applications, to go ahead and put that we are married. Now that we are supposedly married, will she continue using her orginal name? When would be the best time to legally change her name, should she wait until she's in the states and change it when she applies for her SS#?

Anybody from Adelaide that can help with this part... I think police/medical stuff is different from state to state... in Adelaide, can she go ahead and get her police report... or should we wait until our forms have been submitted. Will Adelaide send the report straight to Sydney or will they hand it to her? With the medical exam, will the exam also be sent directly to Sydney or will they give her the results? For either of these, does she have to show some kind of voucher or can she just call and set up an appointment and state that she's inquiring because of immigration stuff? I'm not sure whether we should wait for packet 3. I'll be emailing Sydney to send Stephanie Packet 3 very soon, I'm just collecting my info and creating a check off list.

Thanks again!

Woohoo!!!!!!!! :dance:

04 January 2004 : Met Stephanie in Las Vegas.

15 May 2006 : Joined visajourney

16 September 2006: Got married in Las Vegas.

03 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for certificate of name change.

12 October 2006 : Stephanie recieved certificate of name change.

16 October 2006 : Stephanie applies for NPC, recieves a couple weeks later.

29 November 2006 : Arrived in Sydney, stayed in 4Points Sheraton Darling Harbor.

30 November 2006 : DCF. Submitted I-130 Sydney US Consulate "walk-in Thursday". Packet 3 in hand.

11 December 2006 : Final Medical Appointment with Dr Miller and immunizations. Approved.

11 December 2006 : Sent off DS-230 Parts I and II, and DS-2001 overnight priority.

27 December 2006 : Received RFE in the mail, returned RFE same day.

24 January 2007 : New Legislation preventing approvals of I-130s at Consulate.

30 January 2007 : Final Visa Interview in Sydney.

22 February 2007: Sydney called for my wife to send her passport to issue the visa.

04 March 2007: Stephanie flies back to Australia to post her passport.

14 March 2007: Stephanie Recieves passport and visa.

18 March 2007: Stephanie is in Florida. Journey is over.

30 March 2007: Stephanie gets Social Security Card.

02 April 2007: Stephanie gets Green Card.

"what happens in Vegas, doesn't always stay in Vegas" - david

Filed: Timeline
Anybody from Adelaide that can help with this part... I think police/medical stuff is different from state to state... in Adelaide, can she go ahead and get her police report... or should we wait until our forms have been submitted. Will Adelaide send the report straight to Sydney or will they hand it to her? With the medical exam, will the exam also be sent directly to Sydney or will they give her the results? For either of these, does she have to show some kind of voucher or can she just call and set up an appointment and state that she's inquiring because of immigration stuff? I'm not sure whether we should wait for packet 3. I'll be emailing Sydney to send Stephanie Packet 3 very soon, I'm just collecting my info and creating a check off list.

I'll answer the ones I know about.

The police report you can get at anytime. Most of us opt to have it sent to ourselves, in fact I'd prefer to have it in hand, but I believe almost everyone here has had it sent to themselves and taken it to the interview.

As for the medical, I was a little confused myself about whether I'd need to send in the DS-230 so that I have a case number as the pinned Australia DCF forum indicates. However, I've been told this is the same as the police report, that in fact you can book and do it anytime.

The married name question, since whatever you put in the DS-230 will be correct at the time of the interview, ie you will be married, so it will be correct if you want to put the married name down. However, I believe I have seen in the forum somewhere that either should be ok.

I'm sure others in the forum will have an answer soon, and I'd like to ask them actually: For your partner's address in the DS-230 did you use their Australian address (ie your own) or their US address. Again, this might not matter, but thought I'd ask.

AussieDude

(I'm from Sydney by the way, so there are some subtle differences but I believe its only about what is sent when you mail the DS-230)

Edited by AussieDude

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
First off... again let me say thank you to Karo. She's been a great help and I've been asking her plenty of questions... maybe I'll go ahead and throw them out here so I can get everyone involved.

Here's something that crossed my mind... Stephanie and I plan on getting married in January and hopefully set up our interview date immediately following. I was told that when she fills out the applications, to go ahead and put that we are married. Now that we are supposedly married, will she continue using her orginal name? When would be the best time to legally change her name, should she wait until she's in the states and change it when she applies for her SS#?

Thanks again!

I have contact the US Consulate directly about use of maiden name and married name. Thier answer was:

She can use either, as long as she has proof of name change. i.e. Birth Cert or Passport for maiden name, of Marriage Cert for married name.

It doesn't matter if all her Tax Returns, supporting documents etc. are in her maiden name.

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Timeline

Thanks again!

I have contact the US Consulate directly about use of maiden name and married name. Thier answer was:

She can use either, as long as she has proof of name change. i.e. Birth Cert or Passport for maiden name, of Marriage Cert for married name.

It doesn't matter if all her Tax Returns, supporting documents etc. are in her maiden name.

Thanks Big Oz... hey... I noticed your timeline started off with May then to April then back to May, did you mean to start with March? Anyway, thanks for the information... that was the last question that has been pondering me.

29 November 2006 : Arrived in Sydney, stayed in 4Points Sheraton Darling Harbor.

30 November 2006 : DCF. Submitted I-130 Sydney US Consulate "walk-in Thursday". Packet 3 in hand.

11 December 2006 : Final Medical Appointment with Dr Miller and immunizations. Approved.

11 December 2006 : Sent off DS-230 Parts I and II, and DS-2001 overnight priority.

22 February 2007: Sydney called for my wife to send her passport to issue the visa.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Glad to see this thread has been revived!

All we need now is Mellie and Sean and we'll be in business.

Finally finished with immigration in 2012!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
As for the medical, I was a little confused myself about whether I'd need to send in the DS-230 so that I have a case number as the pinned Australia DCF forum indicates. However, I've been told this is the same as the police report, that in fact you can book and do it anytime.

Dude,

If you can confirm that this is so (for all states in Oz) would you be a pal and post a correction to the Aussie DCF thread? things *do* change and people sometimes get confused & post wrong, so it's up to all y'all to keep that pinned thread correct. There's nothing holy in there as far as I'm concerned.. it's by Aussies for Aussies and particular to your Consulate.

On the address question: I was instructed to use my US address (I'm the USC). Others have reported differently. Due to Sydney's non-resident policy, I think you'd be correct with the US address.

Names: matters not when/if, as other answers support. It's even legal to use two different names.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

I can confirm for VICTORIA that you did NOT need a case nunber for either the medical NOR police checks.

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Thanks Big Oz... hey... I noticed your timeline started off with May then to April then back to May, did you mean to start with March? Anyway, thanks for the information... that was the last question that has been pondering me.

Yep made a typo, timeline is supposed to start in April. I will ammend (thought I had already!) I have to add to it anyway as today I went for the walkin to file I-130 & I-864, and got my interview date for June 12th, only two weeks away!!

Rose, the first lady at "window 1", is great to deal with. Quite a nice lady. She had some women in line before us who was complaining/arguing about things not being clear in the forms, and thankfully she was still in a good mood for us. The second lady we had to talk to, "window 4", was not quite as welcoming, she asked us a lot of Q's about our relationship and why we chose to marry in Australia and move to the US. In the end it was all good, we had our petition approved!

For those interested, here's a quick breakdown of my Thursday walkin at the US Consulate in Sydney:

07:30 Arrived at MLC Building, proceeded to Lv10, 3rd in line!

07:40 Security shows up and opens up reception for security clearance #1

07:50 Cleared Security #1

07:55 Allowed to take lift to Lv59, and take ticket for Immigration Visa, 2nd in line!

08:15 Called to Window 1, form checked and sent to make payment at Window 6.

08:20 Made Payment, now back to Window 1.

08:35 Given Appointment date. Finished at Window 1, now waiting for adjudication.

08:55 Called to Window 4, sworn in and probed by questions.

09:20 Approved, time to go home and wait for interview.

So all up it took only about 2 hours and went pretty smoothly. Glad I was prepared, this forum helped a lot!

Edited by BigAussieZee

N-400 NATURALIZATION TIMELINE

11/02/09 - Sent App. via USPS Priority Mail (+Cert. Mail Rcpt. & Return Rcpt)

11/06/09 - Check Cashed

11/06/09 - NOA Date

11/12/09 - NOA Rec'd

11/21/09 - Biometrics Appt. Letter Rec'd

12/01/09 - Biometrics Appt. @ 12:00 PM

12/04/09 - CFR Notice (Yellow Letter). Postmarked 12/07/09. Rec'd 12/11/09

02/04/10 - Rec'd Email that case was sent for "Standard Review"

02/08/10 - Interview Letter Appointment Rec'd (sent 02/03/10)

03/11/10 - Interview Date - Federal Plaza (passed)

03/11/10 - Oath Appt. Letter Rec'd (same day as oath)

04/16/10 - Oath Ceremony Date (Brooklyn)

Total Processing Time: 165 DAYS

Timeline

Any reason why you didn't request to have your interview on the same day?

Edited by David A.

Timeline

It appears he did a "walk in Thursday" so you can't do both on the same day.

That can be done without making an appointment or anything.

Since you are planning so far ahead you can do it all on one day!

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

Timeline
It appears he did a "walk in Thursday" so you can't do both on the same day.

That can be done without making an appointment or anything.

Since you are planning so far ahead you can do it all on one day!

:bonk: ahhhh ya... that makes sense, stupid me.

• 1 month later...

Actually, quick question (tho I will go check the other forums and google it now), do I need to apply for a SSN now? Or is it somehow processed along automatically with other things...

OMG, where's that head-exploding smilie? :whistle:

Wait 3 weeks from entry. If no sign of your already-applied-for SS card, go to your SSA office and re-apply in person.

The cards most often show up exactly as expected.

I ended up applying in person as it never showed up :(

Sept 2005 engaged in USA, Dec 2005 married in Australia ;)

Apr 2006 completed DCF in Sydney, May 2006 emigrated to USA, Aug 2006 started new job

Jul 2007 finally had wedding, Dec 2007 moved into our first house

Jun 2008 our son is born, now just waiting for I-751...

Timeline

We had to do the same.

AND

we had to wait until hiis GC arrived...the stamp on his passport wasn't enough. Others have been able to but we had a lady who couldn't wrap her brain around it.

sigh.

familyxmas-1-1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.