2,704 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Brigitte84 said:

I’m so sorry Brittani. I’ll pray for you and your fiancé. They have to let him in! I swear some people just don’t have common sense. I mean, if he uas waited this long for the K1 visa, he’s not going to do something illegal now. That’s just ridiculous! This is why I’m not traveling to the US until I get my K1. I’m done with all this nonsense. I hope everything works for you!!! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼💕💖

I never would have dreamed this would happen especially all the stories on here about people having no issue visiting while it’s pending.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Just now, Brigitte84 said:

This is why I’m not traveling to the US until I get my K1.

Yep! My fiance hasn't even tried since that happened in July. I'm doing all the trips up and down til we get our K1. Canada is so welcoming and easy going in comparison to crossing the border into the states right now.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
1 minute ago, sumbunny said:

Same thing happened to my fiance in July Brittani. We were driving down from Canada together for an extended stay over the summer. He's NEVER overstayed and we've visited each other many, MANY times since meeting. He had only been in the states for maybe 3 weeks in the last 365 days, but they turned him away for "not having strong enough ties to Canada" and treated us the same way, as if we were trying to be dishonest and sneaky. His job contract at the university had ended as had his lease, so we thought it was the perfect time for him to visit for a couple of months (he did summer 2016) with no intention of overstaying the 180 days Canadians are allowed to be in the US, but no go. It was REALLY sad and frustrating.

Does he have strong ties to the UK? Lease, mortgage, job, etc? Crossing my fingers for you <3

I understand how you felt, it’s horrible. When that happened to me they detained me for 7 hours like I was a criminal. Exactly for the same reasons and I never overstayed my visa... 😔

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brittani said:

No he doesn’t. He moved in with his parents when we started dating to save money. I mean he still has a job though.

Man, I feel for you. It was the same situation with us and him moving back home to save money and make seeing each other easier. His parents totally support our relationship, but the border agents, less so, they really see it as no reason to not be an illegal immigrant. I mean really, clean records, tons of travel between us, but CBP treats you as if you're on the verge of being lawbreakers ready to go on the run to "disappear into the states". It's silly. 

Really hoping you don't experience what we do, but his denial led to us saying "we're done with this nonsense, let's do this thing" so it was a blessing in disguise in a way and now we're well into the journey of not saying goodbye to each other anymore.

Crossing my fingers for you <3

Timeline
1 minute ago, Brittani said:

I never would have dreamed this would happen especially all the stories on here about people having no issue visiting while it’s pending.

I know dear. 😔 I never thought it would happen to me either. Some of the officers are just unbelievable. When I was denied entry the officer told me that I had a tourist visa, and that my fiancé wasn’t a touristic attraction! 😡 So I shouldn’t have been using my tourist visa to visit ky fiancé. Can you believe that? 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, sumbunny said:

Yep! My fiance hasn't even tried since that happened in July. I'm doing all the trips up and down til we get our K1. Canada is so welcoming and easy going in comparison to crossing the border into the states right now.

I know, this is just getting ridiculous 🤦🏻‍♀️

Timeline
5 minutes ago, Brigitte84 said:

I understand how you felt, it’s horrible. When that happened to me they detained me for 7 hours like I was a criminal. Exactly for the same reasons and I never overstayed my visa... 😔

It's awful. I FELT horrible seeing him photographed and fingerprinted like a criminal. It was seriously one of the worst days EVER, and made me feel like safety at our borders is one thing, but this was a whole 'nother level of not okay. This isn't how we should treat people trying to visit the US. It's not what I've grown up thinking is the way "the land of the free" is supposed to be. Icky!

The officer was surprisingly nice to me and told me there shouldn’t be any problems getting the k1 because he can see we love each other but if he came back again it could affect us getting it. My heart is broke that this could be it. I at least want to see him before he goes back if they deny him this time. But I’m 6 hours away and have two little girls with me right now. I’ll let y’all know when I hear back. I’m just praying they have mercy.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, sumbunny said:

It's awful. I FELT horrible seeing him photographed and fingerprinted like a criminal. It was seriously one of the worst days EVER, and made me feel like safety at our borders is one thing, but this was a whole 'nother level of not okay. This isn't how we should treat people trying to visit the US. It's not what I've grown up thinking is the way "the land of the free" is supposed to be. Icky!

I know, my fiancé was in the car crying, calling my family telling them I got detained. He asked the officers several times to let him see me and they kept saying no. I’ve never felt so frustrated, insulted and devastated. 😔

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

The officer was surprisingly nice to me and told me there shouldn’t be any problems getting the k1 because he can see we love each other but if he came back again it could affect us getting it. My heart is broke that this could be it. I at least want to see him before he goes back if they deny him this time. But I’m 6 hours away and have two little girls with me right now. I’ll let y’all know when I hear back. I’m just praying they have mercy.

🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

Timeline

I don't want to discourage you, but that's EXACTLY what they said to us before they turned him away. "This won't affect your application for a K1, but don't come back without your K1 or very strong ties to Canada or the denial could be permanent or you could be detained / charged / banned long term". We asked what would be considered strong ties and the officer said, any new employment or lease would HAVE to be more than 6 months now that he has been turned away to establish strong ties. So we haven't even tried it because we didn't want to take  any chances.

No matter what happens... be strong girl! You guys can do this <3

Edited by sumbunny

They’re letting him in but they made him sign a waiver stating he would not come back until the k1 is in his hand. They told him he got very lucky because they were close to throwing him in jail, charging him, and sending him back ASAP. But because we’ve never been told you’re not allowed to stay in the US more than your home country (mind you we really haven’t we just thought as long as he doesn’t overstay 90 days all is good) and talking to me they let him go. Just be very careful about it guys. Thank you for all the encouraging words. I am somewhat lifted. He has missed his flight but is on standby.

Just now, sumbunny said:

OMG, that is wonderful news! So happy to hear it. Good for you. Enjoy your time together <333

I am thanking my lucky stars right now. I’m so relieved and still sad it even happened because he’s a great person who has never broken the law. Just hope he’s able to catch the next flight to Atlanta.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Brittani said:

I am thanking my lucky stars right now. I’m so relieved and still sad it even happened because he’s a great person who has never broken the law. Just hope he’s able to catch the next flight to Atlanta.

Thank God they let him in! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.