2,704 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
Just now, Naes said:

Could (and not exactly should but better do! ;) )

otherwise will have to wait till EAD

That's a tad long. It'll help with the evidence for the AOS. So I'll see about getting it started when he gets over here. As a side note, its free to apply for!

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
10 hours ago, Naes said:

Try googling "AOS step by step k1 visa journey" first and go through it. After that ask me in detail. I'm certain unless there is a problem with your case, these can be done without a lawyer.

Most simply the steps after k1

1) enter US

2) get SSN 

3) get married and obtain certificate

4) apply for AOS and ead/AP 

Wouldn't it be easier to get married first and then apply for the SSN with the new name instead of having to go back and get the name changed on the social security card later?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 hours ago, Naes said:

You answered it your own 😂

I would make notes notes of all the questions I have (that's at least what I did) then I searched for past experiences (there's always one person who had the same issue) then start bombarding questions by the way there is a "AOS from k1" topic in the forum if you want to look around.

Yes definitely a good suggestion!! I'm going to get more methodical... THANK YOU!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

And then there's $h¡T like this...

https://theintercept.com/2018/02/22/u-s-citizenship-and-immigration-services-will-remove-nation-of-immigrants-from-mission-statement/

Goddamn sad time for immigration in our Nation. 

Edited by AERNESTOC
Spelling

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Writing this in hopes that there is another Federal employee who is petitioning their fiance(e).  My question is:  Do we need a letter from our employer as part of the I134 supporting documents or is an SF50 enough.  An SF50 has exactly what an employer letter would state and more in my opinion.  And the embassy knows exactly what it is being Feds themselves but i am not sure if they will accept it.  If anyone on here has a clue, i would appreciate some guidance.  thanks all and good luck.  

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
4 hours ago, Rex and Yuliya said:

Wouldn't it be easier to get married first and then apply for the SSN with the new name instead of having to go back and get the name changed on the social security card later?

Most security offices won't give you because your visa status won't be k1 anymore, as you will be married.

and last name won't match the visa.

this is a big problem that happens (and apparently thought of before. However many people who tried that way ended up having to wait till ead because of it so it's up to the person to try their chances with it. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
3 hours ago, Naes said:

Most security offices won't give you because your visa status won't be k1 anymore, as you will be married.

and last name won't match the visa.

this is a big problem that happens (and apparently thought of before. However many people who tried that way ended up having to wait till ead because of it so it's up to the person to try their chances with it. 

Yeah. It would be difficult for those taking the immigrating partner who takes the other's last name. I'll be taking my fiancee's so its not that big of a deal for us. The last name would match. 

event.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
Just now, Sevenhart said:

Yeah. It would be difficult for those taking the immigrating partner who takes the other's last name. I'll be taking my fiancee's so its not that big of a deal for us. The last name would match. 

Even without the last name problem I saw some couples not being able to get it because they were married and the status of k1 were no longer valid. 

For me as I'm going to change (there's no way anyone can write my name correct in US.... it already means seafood in Japanese and went through this ridicule for a good 10 years... can't wait to change 😂😂😂) so I'll just get my SSN as soon as I can! Now if only I can get that approval first...

2 hours ago, r1mario said:

My timeline shifted back one day, woop woop.

same here !!! whoop !

ROC

- Mailed June 27,2020

- Delivered July 1, 2020

- SMS with Case Nr. SRC  and Check cashed July 8, 2020 

- NOA received July 20,2020- NOA dated July 14,2020

-Fingersprinting applied notification - Aug 10,2020

- Card being produced - Nov 2, 2020

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Rebecca & Kelvin said:

Whoop whoop whoops! Think I need to whoop three times:jest:

Lol *goes to check timeline*

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.