Yaztalksalot

October 2017 AOS filers (merged)

2,792 posts in this topic

HI everybody, 

I have a question for those that have already sent a package for the EAD renewal.  What did you send with your application? 

• Copy of the  the work permit 
  • Approval notice of the permit

Do I need also to send a copy of the I-485 receipt?  And more 2 pictures?

Any tips? Thank you!!!

My AOS timeline

10/12/17:Package sent

10/19/17: Package received

10/25/17: SMS/ email 

10/30/17: NOA received. Priority date: 10/19/17

11/10/17: Biometric appointment notice

11/20/17: Biometric appointment

11/20/17: Biometric done

03/13/2018: Received RFE

03/23/2018: Response received 

03/30/18: EAD card is being produced 

03/03/18: EAD approved 

04/05/2018: Card in hands+ approval letter+ courtesy letter for I-693

04/09/2018: Received SSN card

04/18/2018: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview ( updated just in the end of August/18)

01/18/19: Interview scheduled 

02/26/19: Interview day ( approved )

02/26/19: Card is being produced 

03/01/19: Card was mailed to me

03/02/19: Received approval  letter for forms I-485+ I-130

03/05/19: Card in hands

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cuba
Timeline
1 hour ago, happywu said:

HI everybody, 

I have a question for those that have already sent a package for the EAD renewal.  What did you send with your application? 

• Copy of the  the work permit 
  • Approval notice of the permit

Do I need also to send a copy of the I-485 receipt?  And more 2 pictures?

Any tips? Thank you!!!

I sent it. We never know... 

2 hours ago, DayDayDay said:

I sent it. We never know... 

Thanks!

The instructions say about the picture, but not about the receipt for the form I-485. However, like you said, we never know"

Did you send to Chicago?

My AOS timeline

04/18/2018: Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview ( updated just in the end of August/18)

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi. I would like to ask when you file your AOS, did you use already your married name or still your surname when you were single?

11 hours ago, Lakwatsera said:

Hi. I would like to ask when you file your AOS, did you use already your married name or still your surname when you were single?

In my case I used my married name, and also I chose which would be my middle name. In  the  letters that I received  from the immigration , they used  the name that I had put in my application. My work permit and social security too. But I believe this is your choice. If you don't want to change your name , you don't have to.

My AOS timeline

My Priority date is 30th October 2017 and exactly after 1 year on 30th October 2018, I got a message saying my interview is scheduled. Today I got the mail saying my interview date is 1st December.  My field office is Santa Ana, CA and it has 13 - 30.5 Months timeline and they scheduled my interview date exactly 13 months from my priority date. Looks like USICS is fallowing the timelines perfectly(Atleast Santa Ana form my experience). Good luck to everyone.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Romania
Timeline

I received an RFE, USCIS says they didn’t get my tax returns for the most recent year for my affidavit of support even though I’m 100% sure they did. And I gave them pay stubs, W2’s, along with the tax returns

Gotta love the folks who lose paperwork. I’m sending in the paperwork again first thing Monday morning when the post office is open 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 hours ago, happywu said:

In my case I used my married name, and also I chose which would be my middle name. In  the  letters that I received  from the immigration , they used  the name that I had put in my application. My work permit and social security too. But I believe this is your choice. If you don't want to change your name , you don't have to.

Thank you happywu.

Just a quick update. The green card finally arrived in the mail the week before last and I got a job too! I was worried there for a bit, but things have worked out just fine. Hope everyone else is dealing with a smooth process.

Edited by TriloByte

Click here to see my detailed timeline and experience.

I-485/I-765 Sent :

I-485/I-765 Received Date :

I-485/I-765 NOA1 :

RFIE (Birth Cert, Translation)

Biometrics : 

RFIE Received :

I-765 Approved :

I-485 Interview Date :

I-485 Approved :

Received Green Card :

2017 Oct 06

2017 Oct 10

2017 Oct 13

2017 Nov 03

2017 Nov 06

2017 Nov 17

2017 Dec 18

2018 Aug 08

2018 Aug 08

2018 Oct 23

Distance is to love like wind is to fire… it extinguishes the small and kindles the great!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, TriloByte said:

Just a quick update. The green card finally arrived in the mail the week before last and I got a job too! I was worried there for a bit, but things have worked out just fine. Hope everyone else is dealing with a smooth process.

Which questions were asked at the interview? Which documents did they request?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline

Could someone please let me know what you had to submit with the AOS medical exam wise if you entered on a k1? My now husband just had his medical exam in Belgium a week ago to get his K1. We got married two days ago and are now doing the AOS does he need another medical exam here now? immigration took the packet with all of the medical info so now we are confused. 

Thank you

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline
34 minutes ago, ShanGaut said:

Could someone please let me know what you had to submit with the AOS medical exam wise if you entered on a k1? My now husband just had his medical exam in Belgium a week ago to get his K1. We got married two days ago and are now doing the AOS does he need another medical exam here now? immigration took the packet with all of the medical info so now we are confused. 

Thank you

Hi

It is normal that immigration takes the entire envelope and leaves you with nothing.

They assume you asked for a copy of the vaccination records. (When I asked for that in Belgium , they actually copied the entire medical dossier for me).

Immigration takes the entire envelope and sends it to your local office. 

I just recently did my AOS interview in Atlanta. My medical was from May 2017 in Belgium, and I applied for AOS on September 2017. When I had my interview just recently (October 2018), I was interviewed by a more senior officer. He asked if I had an updated medical. I said no, because my medical was valid when I applied. He said ok. He went to the documents and checked that my medical was indeed less than a year old when I applied for AOS. He just looked at both dates, and put a checkmark next to "medical".

He apparently had a copy of my medical that they took from me when I entered the country.

However, I took a chance. Not all officers know that this is fine. When I asked a befriended immigrant attorney from CA, she let me know that I would be taking a chance with the officer, and I might have to be asked to do one again after all. When I informed about a new medical beforehand, it was around 750 dollars. I thought that was too much for "just in case", so I decided not to do it.

Now I am glad I didn't do it, but I WAS ready to be disappointed at the interview.

With my AOS application, I did not send them a copy of my medical. I did not send ANY proof apart from the exact things they asked when you send your AOS. I know some others have sent their proof at AOS and bring more, but I just sent in what they requested. 

As it says here: https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1k3aos you don't need another one if you're a K1, who applied within a year. Those are the exact rules and they are also to be found in the medical papers. However, as said, not all officers know about this.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.