pamdarex

New couple starting out

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello, I just have a question regarding timeframes. It seems a lot of people here have been with their SO for a long period of time before starting this process but as we know sometimes people come into our life and things move... fast. I know this can signal problems for Customs so I'm just wondering... how hard would it be for someone who has been in a relationship for about a year to get a K-1 Visa? In that years time, I will have spent 3 weekends, and 6 weeks with my SO in the USA. 

Having dated a year before applying for K-1 is OK. I've seen some couples with ridiculously short relationships who got approved. By ridiculously short, I mean those whose just online dated a month or so, met and then the US petitioner filed immediately upon returning home.

Anyways, you are from Canada  (a low fraud country), dated for a year and have met in person within the last 2 years preceding the filing date, you can file away. Currently it takes at least 4 months to have your petition approved, denied or issued a RFE. In totality, you are looking at 6-8 months minimum until you receive your visa in hand. Now if you have any kind of criminal background etc, you might be stuck in AP longer which would add to your processing times.

Current I-129F form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f. Gather all the required documents listed on the instructions sheet.

Refer to VJ K-1 guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide to get an idea on what to include for the meeting evidence (as well as relationship evidence if you wanna frontload a bit). Ignore the forms mentioned in the guide because it isn't updated. Other info are still useful and relevant. You only need the I-129F and G-1145 forms. No other forms needed.

Current fee is $535. G-325A is no longer needed.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

Timeline
1 minute ago, KULtoATL said:

Having dated a year before applying for K-1 is OK. I've seen some couples with ridiculously short relationships who got approved. By ridiculously short, I mean those whose just online dated a month or so, met and then the US petitioner filed immediately upon returning home.

Anyways, you are from Canada  (a low fraud country), dated for a year and have met in person within the last 2 years preceding the filing date, you can file away. Currently it takes at least 4 months to have your petition approved, denied or issued a RFE. In totality, you are looking at 6-8 months minimum until you receive your visa in hand. Now if you have any kind of criminal background etc, you might be stuck in AP longer which would add to your processing times.

Current I-129F form: https://www.uscis.gov/i-129f. Gather all the required documents listed on the instructions sheet.

Refer to VJ K-1 guide http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide to get an idea on what to include for the meeting evidence (as well as relationship evidence if you wanna frontload a bit). Ignore the forms mentioned in the guide because it isn't updated. Other info are still useful and relevant. You only need the I-129F and G-1145 forms. No other forms needed.

Current fee is $535. G-325A is no longer needed.

Ah this is awesome thank you so much. I have no criminal background, neither does he, I will (hopefully) be a member of the NEXUS program as well. It's comforting to know that the length of time wont necessarily affect anything. 

1 minute ago, pamdarex said:

Ah this is awesome thank you so much. I have no criminal background, neither does he, I will (hopefully) be a member of the NEXUS program as well. It's comforting to know that the length of time wont necessarily affect anything. 

As long as you have met within the last 2 years prior to the filing date and can prove a bona fide relationship, you should be OK :) 

Before you jump into putting the petition together right away, read both the official instructions and VJ guide so that you get the whole picture. FYI, after getting married upon entry with a K-1, you'll need to AOS and apply for AP and EAD. Few years down the road, you'll need to ROC and then get naturalized if you're keen. So yes, it costs a lot and there will be a ton of paperwork waiting for you guys.

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

As long as you have met within the last 2 years prior to the filing date and can prove a bona fide relationship, you should be OK :) 

Before you jump into putting the petition together right away, read both the official instructions and VJ guide so that you get the whole picture. FYI, after getting married upon entry with a K-1, you'll need to AOS and apply for AP and EAD. Few years down the road, you'll need to ROC and then get naturalized if you're keen. So yes, it costs a lot and there will be a ton of paperwork waiting for you guys.

Thank you for your help! We have research this heavily, and will continue to moving forward and we are ok with what is coming our way. We don't plan to put it in right yet still a few months out but planning/scoping it out so we know what the hell is coming our way!

1 minute ago, pamdarex said:

Thank you for your help! We have research this heavily, and will continue to moving forward and we are ok with what is coming our way. We don't plan to put it in right yet still a few months out but planning/scoping it out so we know what the hell is coming our way!

Cool! I wish you all the best :) If you need any help, just holler!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.