19 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I married a Ghanaian in Ghana in August 2017. We have been dating for 5 years, with a trip from USA to Ghana for each of those years. We would like to apply for a marriage visa but want to present a strong application. Should we wait before applying? If we wait or prior to applying, would any of the following help our case:

1) Changing my legal last name and documents 

2) Scheduling another trip to Ghana

The only proof of marital relationship since August that we have is joint land ownership and affidavits from US and Ghana. Should we wait to gather more evidence?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You will need a strong case.  Strong cases are built with evidence created by bona fide marriages. Co-mingled finances, a LOT of time spent together, Joint legal documents such as insurance papers, bank accounts, etc will help.  However, expect a lot of scrutiny for "red flags" such as large age difference, different religions,.....

I suggest you use the search function of this web site to see the issues some couples from USA/Ghana have faced.....

Good Luck

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
Just now, oneeyedjack said:

So, it seems like I will have to wait more to build that. 

I will try the search feature as well. Thank you!

Ghana is considered to be a high fraud country, so it is sometimes difficult.  Others here will have suggestions, too.  Good Luck in your journey.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sound good, you need to do more visit and gather more Evidence, But did you get married on your first visit? Do you guys plan of having kids together ? Did any of your parent come to Ghana during your marriage ceremony? Do you guys have any huge  age gap ? Gather more Communication records and anything between you guys from day one because America Embassy in Ghana don't play at all get prepared 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Being married under two years means less burden to prove a bona fide relationship  as you can't have lived as a couple while living abroad.  A five year relationship is a good start.  I think getting it in earlier rather than later is in your best interest. 

We got a Cr1 as well before living together. We had 3 years in a long distance relationship and got married.   I think you're good to go and waiting for the 2 year mark could hurt.  Though at this point the final result would be an IR1, which is good, but get the application started before the 2 year mark. 

If you're in the USA there is plenty of things you can do to help with relationship evidence.  Please look at the ez spouse guide in the wiki.  At the bottom is a huge list of suggested relationship evidence.  You already have the evidence of 5 visits which is more than most!

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
21 hours ago, oneeyedjack said:

I married a Ghanaian in Ghana in August 2017. We have been dating for 5 years, with a trip from USA to Ghana for each of those years. We would like to apply for a marriage visa but want to present a strong application. Should we wait before applying? If we wait or prior to applying, would any of the following help our case:

The only proof of marital relationship since August that we have is joint land ownership and affidavits from US and Ghana. Should we wait to gather more evidence?

You are now married. You are both Ghanaians and a 4-year difference in age is nothing, especially if it is the man who's older.

If you have proof of your marriage and can provide the additional information requested at the USCIS stage, then get started.

I would only schedule a trip to Ghana only after USCIS approval inorder to get the documents required from the beneficiary. If you are going to travel, you may as well make it a productive one, like getting signatures, getting the police certificate, copy of beneficiary's birth certificate and other documents required at the NVC stage.

I don't understand it when people keep saying to wait to build a stronger case. Sometimes waiting too long and overdoing something can hurt a case.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

it does require several visits

next visit get a POA from him to do fiancial (banking) 

then since it will be a year till interview, when you file taxes in the spring add a W7 along with required documents (his bi]rth certificate and a marriage certificate) 

this will give you a ITIN (indivual taxpayer ID number ) and allow you to add him as dependent to your taxes

also my bank (with this number and according to federal banking rules same as the ones allowed for foreighners working in the US) you can add him to your banking account

these all help to show solid relationship in these high fraud countries

good luck and talk to others directly here who have gone thru Ghana or any of the high fraud countries like Algeria and Morocco

Spoiler

23 hours ago, oneeyedjack said:

No. Five years is enough more than enough for you guys, you should proceed to file every necessary documents to move forward for next step. Every proof of marriage like photos, email conversation, WhatsApp chat history & video snapshot, sending of money history, receipt from any store, flight history. The majority proof should be done from USA. You can contact me through my number in case u need any help again. +14192808304

Timeline
4 hours ago, jakelake said:

overdoing something can hurt a case.

I disagree....Sometimes, more is better......especially for cases in Ghana...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Haiti
Timeline
19 minutes ago, missileman said:

I disagree....Sometimes, more is better......especially for cases in Ghana...

Giving more than necessary can open up another can of worms. It's better to provide adequate information.

I also used the word SOMETIMES. That does not mean always.

Timeline
3 minutes ago, jakelake said:

Giving more than necessary can open up another can of worms. It's better to provide adequate information.

I also used the word SOMETIMES. That does not mean always.

I guess it depends on the IO's definition of adequate..Ghana is a high fraud country........a LOT of bona fide evidence is usually required.

Edited by missileman

Timeline

Quality evidence is always better than quantity.....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.