34 posts in this topic

I vote for CR1

Cheaper and she can work as soon as she gets here.

Another vote for CR1. And we did the K1 visa. That honeymoon phase wear off quick after she first arrives.

Remember, with a K1 she will not be able to travel back home if she gets homesick also for a few months after you adjust her status.

ETA: The K1 visa does NOT shave off 7 months. 

Edited by NuestraUnion

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

Fees are increased but the chart still shows the appropriate proportion.

https://www.uscis.gov/forms/our-fees

Edited by LionessDeon

7 hours ago, NikLR said:

~~moved to what visa do I need from k1 progress reports~~

Why dont you ask your fiancee if she would be bored not working or upset at being completely dependent on you?  Some people think it would be fun or relaxing but when you're stuck at home or dependent on a transit system when your english isnt very good, it can quickly become boring and frustrating. This causes homesickness and fights between spouses.   Personally I think you see more break ups on a k1 visa but that also possible because they're far more common as people don't want to be married and living apart.

Also ask your fiancee how traditional they are.  Maybe it's really important to her for her family to be at her wedding.  That won't happen if you marry in the USA.  Likely she will never have the wedding of her dreams on a k1 visa. 

This is a two person decision and honestly, as the foreigner, her decision matters more than yours.  She is the one giving up her country and her life as it is because she loves you.  Never take that for granted.    

In the discussion of K-1/CR-1 I rarely see this brought up. It's always about the cost, speed, convenience. But you bring up a point I have wanted to on several threads I have read when it comes to K-1 vs CR-1. I have read so many stories on here of people who's relationship did not even last a year due to the reasons you mentioned. You take having to move to a new country and culture then add to that the feeling of being isolated and alone. It is very tough and a lot can't handle it.

I hope the OP takes this into consideration.

4 hours ago, nickymicky said:

she is not working.. she is a student. just want her to come here sooner that's all. I got a house to live in and a good Job so $$ will not be a issue.

Independent women don't like asking for money.  She may have an idea of what she wants her wedding to look like (as you may as well.)  Even moving to the USA from Canada was difficult.  I had homesickness and still do occasionally.  Her life will be completely changing and she will need time, love, and understanding from you.  Faster does not always equal better.  Find the BEST visa path for you as a COUPLE. 

11 hours ago, Lsthorpe1 said:

Shaves off 7 months? I think you may have the wrong info there! 

The person wrote "several" not "seven."

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

if we decide to do the married visa and just wait. would it matter if i moved to belgrade for periods of time while we wait? i own my business and can run things remotely. just wondering if i moved there for 2 months at a time, if that could hurt our chances for acceptance. we can't see how it could hurt. but gvt thinking often doesn't make sense. lol

Timeline
6 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

so what's your option ?

:)

we need to discuss it tonight. i just back from serbia last thursday and then this hurricane hit florida.. so we finally are able to begin having serious discussion. we almost married in belgrade on this trip. my paperwork was not right, so we couldn't.. so now we're trying to decide..let ya'll know what we decide

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
3 minutes ago, mikeandsilvija said:

if we decide to do the married visa and just wait. would it matter if i moved to belgrade for periods of time while we wait? i own my business and can run things remotely. just wondering if i moved there for 2 months at a time, if that could hurt our chances for acceptance. we can't see how it could hurt. but gvt thinking often doesn't make sense. lol

once you file the petition with USCIS you can be anywhere. Just some one need to see the mails and inform you. like if you get RFE or if USCIS wants additional verification then they might send you mail. otherwise if you appoint attorney then you He will handle every thing on your behalf

Timeline
Just now, nickymicky said:

once you file the petition with USCIS you can be anywhere. Just some one need to see the mails and inform you. like if you get RFE or if USCIS wants additional verification then they might send you mail. otherwise if you appoint attorney then you He will handle every thing on your behalf

ok kool.. i'll have a  buddy get my mail. and 24 hour any immigration mail to me.. it'll just make it easier (relationship side) if we can be together. obviously

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

How much income I need to make if I want to file K1.

I am divorced. Paying child support for 2 kids. I sponsored my mother & Father to come to USA and they have green card now.

so if I want to file K1 for my girl friend how much gross income I need to make in a year.

12 hours ago, nickymicky said:

How much income I need to make if I want to file K1.

I am divorced. Paying child support for 2 kids. I sponsored my mother & Father to come to USA and they have green card now.

so if I want to file K1 for my girl friend how much gross income I need to make in a year.

Household size is 6.  Look up the 125% on the I-864P. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.