34 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Hello I am a US Citizen. I got a girl friend in Nepal. I am planning to go to Nepal after 3 months and would like to bring her to US soon. which way shall I choose so far I know is K1 or CR1. what is the best thing to choose ? how is the success rate in K1 visa or what need to be done to make it 100 % approval for visa. before choosing any direction I would like your valuable comment so that I will choose the right path.

thank you

:D

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
9 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

Hello I am a US Citizen. I got a girl friend in Nepal. I am planning to go to Nepal after 3 months and would like to bring her to US soon. which way shall I choose so far I know is K1 or CR1. what is the best thing to choose ? how is the success rate in K1 visa or what need to be done to make it 100 % approval for visa. before choosing any direction I would like your valuable comment so that I will choose the right path.

thank you

I would cr1 less paperwork and cost less,she can work and travel if she wants right away but it takes longer than a K1 Visa. Cr1 Visas from what I seen have a higher approval rate than k1 Visas overall.

Edited by Seth And Quynh

11 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

$$ cost is not the issue. paper work is not the problem.

just want the quicker process with 100 % success.

how long does k1 and cr1 takes.. is there a big gap

Cr1 takes 12 to 14 months

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
12 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

and K1

K-1 is 7-10 months at this point. Last years it was 3-6 months

By the way NONE of them are 100%.

If you need help once you get started this is the place to go.

13 minutes ago, nickymicky said:

and K1

Average for approval is 5 to 8 months now and cost more no guarantee on 100% approval

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

The K1 is better if you want her to come sooner and marry here.  But it has a price.

Mentioned above are the additional costs. 

We got our CR1 in about 11 months.  So, keep in mind that that the K1 shaves off several months, but, with more expense and having to go through the system again, which means another chance for them to make a mistake, lose paperwork, etc.  CR1 comes with the Resident benefits.

She will not be able to work or travel on a K1 visa.  So really think about whether you are good with having someone very dependent on you for 6 months or so.  She should also think about whether she will be happy in that situation.  The plan may be for her to be a housewife, in which case it's fine. But I've seen couples having to live on one income while one person was bored, unable to work or study.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I am not concerned of $$ or paperwork because I got a house to live in so if she is not able to work for a year also we will be ok.

just thinking which way to choose K1 or CR1. if incase K1 gets denied I am thinking its going to be even  longer process. but if it gets approved then we are good no problem.

so much confused

9 hours ago, nickymicky said:

thank you

Hey!

im a K1 filer and I wish I went the CR1 route! 

The K1 is a very dragged out process.

Ive been waiting since Januray 10th and I still haven't been approved. 

I'm from England, no previous convictions, no children, not previously married and been with my partner two years and visited 10+ times :) (so you would think it would be pretty straight forward?)

At the end of the CR1 your parter will have a green card and be able to start their lives properly. Get a job etc!

At the the end of the K1 you still have a way to go! More waiting. Your partner won't be able to get a job or leave the country until you have filed more paper work and been approved.  

Neither are quick fixes!

good luck!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
10 hours ago, nickymicky said:

I am not concerned of $$ or paperwork because I got a house to live in so if she is not able to work for a year also we will be ok.

just thinking which way to choose K1 or CR1. if incase K1 gets denied I am thinking its going to be even  longer process. but if it gets approved then we are good no problem.

so much confused

I think you need to research how easy it is to get married in Nepal as a US citizen.  For some countries, the laws are such that it takes quite a while to get the approval to marry legally.  As to the difference between the K1 and CR1, as others have mentioned, the CR1 is generally superior in that the spouse enters the US with a GC in hand (the endorsed CR1 Visa acts as a GC until the physical card comes in the mail).  However it is clear that the CR1 does take longer for a couple to physically be together (12-14 months or longer) vs the K1 (5-8 months or longer).  As you have stated, the advantages of being able to work and travel internationally immediately upon entry in the US or the need to apply for AOS are not high on your list and you are just concerned with time apart, then I would say take the K1 route which will require the AOS stage after entry and marriage as you will be able to get together sooner (assuming the process is smooth for your case).  As others have said, there are no 100% guarantees with either application, but if you have a straightforward case with no red-flags either would most likely be successful.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Does she work now? Is she independent now? While the K-1 is certainly faster, your fiancee relies completely on you until she has her green card or work authorization. No work, no driving, barely any volunteering work can be done. 

Ask her what she rather chooses.

01/13/2016: I-129F filed  07/15/2016: K-1 visa in hand
10/13/2016: Filed AOS + EAD/AP.   07/07/2017: Permanent resident (Conditional)
04/16/2019: Filed ROC  11/17/2020: Approved. (10 yr GC)

Naturalization                                                        
09/02/2020: Filed (Online)    09/08/2020: NOA1: (NBC
10/22/2020: Biometrics Reuse Notice.  12/22/2020: Online Status Changed to Interview Was Scheduled.  
01/29/2021: N-400 Interview - PASSED! 01/29/2021: Same-day oath ceremony.  

'Merica. 

Filed: Other Country: India
Timeline

Getting a success with a K1 visa will depend on how long both of you have known each other for, how many times have you visited her, pictures, chat logs, other joint documents -- more documents you will submit stronger your case will be. Also if you have a larger age difference it will be a red flag. 

I was in same situation as you sometime back, debating between K1/CR1. I ultimately went the CR1 route, although it takes longer you have a genuine relationship you can prove with a marriage certificate and if for some reason you still get denied you can challenge your application. While with K1 if you are denied for certain reason you don't have much ground for challenging the petition because you don't have any legal documents and eventually you might have to file for CR1. Also when it comes to K1 some embassy are more strict in approving then embassy in other countries (not sure how Nepal is like). 

Good luck  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.