IAMX

'Gone With the Wind' screenings pulled from Memphis theater for racially 'insensitive' content

10 posts in this topic

Timeline

If this theater company thought their patrons wouldn't give a damn, they were wrong.

A historic Memphis, Tennessee, theater, which has shown "Gone With the Wind" screenings for 34 years, has decided to remove the classic film from its schedule due to its racially "insensitive" content.

The move comes after violence erupted at a rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, earlier this month. The president of the Orpheum Theatre said the decision to remove the 1939 film was not directly related to the recent headlines.

"The Orpheum appreciates feedback on its programming from all members of the mid-south community," Orpheum president Bret Batterson said in a statement to Vulture. "As an organization whose stated mission is to 'entertain, educate and enlighten the communities it serves,' the Orpheum cannot show a film that is insensitive to a large segment of its local population."

His statement continued, "This is something that's been questioned every year, but the social media storm this year really brought it home.

Batterson also noted the popularity of the film has "leveled off" in recent years.

Movie-goers took to the Orpheum's Facebook page to blast the theater's decision.

"This is the stupidest thing I have heard lately and believe me there have been some really stupid things done lately in the name of 'racism' - How ignorant are you people - Never will I go to this theater or any other one that promotes this BS," one person wrote.

Another wrote, "So now we r censoring art...come on it's just a movie if u don't like it don't watch it."

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/28/gone-with-wind-screenings-pulled-from-memphis-theater-for-racially-insensitive-content.html

Gotta love censoring films with historic value because some (white leftist snowflakes) might be offended.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Is it worth the risk of one snowflake being slightly melted?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

Considering the whiteout, we can expect an avalanche from the MOR/MDRs

whiteout-conditions.jpg

can you believe that a theater up and decided to stop showing a film?! just who do they think they are??

19 minutes ago, IAMX said:

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/08/28/gone-with-wind-screenings-pulled-from-memphis-theater-for-racially-insensitive-content.html

Gotta love censoring films with historic value because some (white leftist snowflakes) might be offended.

The theatre chose not to screen it. Censoring is something completely different.

I actually thought the right was generally in favor of businesses right to choose. I don't think it's a good idea to force the theatre to show a movie that they have chosen not to, but that's just me.

995507-quote-moderation-in-all-things-an

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Is it worth the risk of one snowflake being slightly melted?

I'd say its worth it if millions of snowflakes were. I don't think I've ever seen this film but if I ever came across a bunch of whiny lefties protesting a theater showing Gone with the Wind I'd do it just for the fun of it.. would bring my phone/tablet of course to play games and look at naughty pictures on.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
7 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

Considering the whiteout, we can expect an avalanche from the MOR/MDRs

I have a feeling that it was them that were being pandered to.

Off to watch TCM before it is shut down. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

The theatre chose not to screen it. Censoring is something completely different.

I actually thought the right was generally in favor of businesses right to choose. I don't think it's a good idea to force the theatre to show a movie that they have chosen not to, but that's just me.

LOL. You are too kind.

4 minutes ago, Steeleballz said:

when you've got nothing, try making something up..

alt right catch phrase of the day..