Voice of Reason

This is the America I want for all of us

20 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Same here.  Not sure if it's true or not.  But I hope it is.

Was pushing my grocery cart back to the store today.  Nice black lady a little younger than I asked if she could have it. (20 other carts were just five feet away). I said of course, brought it to her, and asked her how her day was going.  We chatted for a few minutes, two strangers in the parking lot.  No drama, no tension.  It was nice.

When I read the article, I was under the impression that it was written so as to point out how skin color shouldn't matter.  Didn't see mention of ANY religious sect.  But the same principle applies, or at least it should.

Also, unless one were to ask pointed questions of a stranger (something I don't really see happening on a daily basis), a person's religious beliefs might be a lot harder to spot than a difference in skin color.  Skin color differences are easy to spot.  Cultural backgrounds, not so much.  Religious beliefs?  Even harder.  IMHO, that is.

14 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

I wonder why a Muslim wasn't mentioned in any of these wonderful interactions? I'm guessing it's OK to interact with some Americans but others should be avoided. Why pick and chose? Why not everyone? Discuss. 

4 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

When I read the article, I was under the impression that it was written so as to point out how skin color shouldn't matter.  Didn't see mention of ANY religious sect.  But the same principle applies, or at least it should.

Also, unless one were to ask pointed questions of a stranger (something I don't really see happening on a daily basis), a person's religious beliefs might be a lot harder to spot than a difference in skin color.  Skin color differences are easy to spot.  Cultural backgrounds, not so much.  Religious beliefs?  Even harder.  IMHO, that is.

I agree, the same principles should apply. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
20 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

I wonder why a Muslim wasn't mentioned in any of these wonderful interactions? I'm guessing it's OK to interact with some Americans but others should be avoided. Why pick and chose? Why not everyone? Discuss. 

For all we know these folks could have been of the Islamic faith.  Is religion something one can discern by eye?

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Not sure where you get that idea.  Been here quite a while now, and I don't remember ever getting that impression.  Then again, the written word can certainly get twisted on forums, eh?

10 minutes ago, spookyturtle said:

That's the impression I get from what I read here. 

5 minutes ago, IDWAF said:

Not sure where you get that idea.  Been here quite a while now, and I don't remember ever getting that impression.  Then again, the written word can certainly get twisted on forums, eh?

I remember lots of anti Islam material here. And not just directed at the radicals.  We also had a few users here a while back who did nothing but post articles about blacks, black crime, black issues, always with a negative slant. I remember that too. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Timeline
2 hours ago, IDWAF said:

I have only been around two factions of muslims.  Most who were very nice people, pleasant to talk to.  The others, you wouldn't want to turn your back to them.  Fortunately, those were very few.

And that is the general case.

Broad brushes = narrow minds.