Amica Nostra

Don't waste money on a wall, when our roads and bridges are crumbling

63 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
GETTY IMAGES

BY CAROLYN HEINRICH, OPINION CONTRIBUTOR

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/transportation/347942-dont-waste-money-on-a-wall-when-our-roads-are-crumbling

TWEET SHARE MORE

On the campaign trail, Donald Trump promised to build a border wall that would not cost U.S. taxpayers a dime. Now he is threatening to shut down the federal government (and by default, the services it provides to the American public) if Congress doesn’t commit to funding a wall that the large majority of their constituents don’t want. Meanwhile, the infrastructure spending that nearly 70 percentof Americans have voiced their support for — to improve roads, buildings and waterways — is languishing as the president rallies for the wall.

The White House budget director estimated that the wall on the border between the U.S. and Mexico would cost between $8 million and $25 million per mile. Taking the median of this estimate and drawing on data from the American Road & Transportation Builders Association, we could construct four to four times the number of new, four-lane highway miles for each mile of border wall, depending on whether they are in urban, suburban or rural areas. Or we could instead use these funds to maintain and improve approximately 2,000 miles of existing roads, for each mile of border wall construction.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) supports the president’s plan to build the border wall. Is he looking out for constituent needs in his home state? A 2016 report by a nonprofit group indicated that 42 percentof Wisconsin’s major roads are in poor or mediocre condition, showing signs of deterioration such as rutting, cracks and potholes. The U.S. Department of Transportation reported an even more devastating estimate, finding that 71 percent of Wisconsin roads were in poor or mediocre condition. The American Society of Civil Engineers rated Wisconsin roads the third worst in the nation

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:
GETTY IMAGES

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/transportation/347942-dont-waste-money-on-a-wall-when-our-roads-are-crumbling

TWEET SHARE MORE

On the campaign trail, Donald Trump promised to build a border wall that would not cost U.S. taxpayers a dime. Now he is threatening to shut down the federal government (and by default, the services it provides to the American public) if Congress doesn’t commit to funding a wall that the large majority of their constituents don’t want. Meanwhile, the infrastructure spending that nearly 70 percentof Americans have voiced their support for — to improve roads, buildings and waterways — is languishing as the president rallies for the wall.

The White House budget director estimated that the wall on the border between the U.S. and Mexico would cost between $8 million and $25 million per mile. Taking the median of this estimate and drawing on data from the American Road & Transportation Builders Association, we could construct four to four times the number of new, four-lane highway miles for each mile of border wall, depending on whether they are in urban, suburban or rural areas. Or we could instead use these funds to maintain and improve approximately 2,000 miles of existing roads, for each mile of border wall construction.

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) supports the president’s plan to build the border wall. Is he looking out for constituent needs in his home state? A 2016 report by a nonprofit group indicated that 42 percentof Wisconsin’s major roads are in poor or mediocre condition, showing signs of deterioration such as rutting, cracks and potholes. The U.S. Department of Transportation reported an even more devastating estimate, finding that 71 percent of Wisconsin roads were in poor or mediocre condition. The American Society of Civil Engineers rated Wisconsin roads the third worst in the nation

Yeah, right, but that was during the campaign trail. Many events have unfolded since. Because Hillary, Obama... Look! Something shiny over there!

Benghazi! BLM! 

See? Who care about roads?

7 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

Yeah, right, but that was during the campaign trail. Many events have unfolded since. Because Hillary, Obama... Look! Something shiny over there!

Benghazi! BLM! 

Trump is really smart shutting down gov't and letting the roads fall apart. This will go a long way to curing America's obesity problem what with people walking 30 or 40 miles each way to work n all.

Timeline
Just now, Teddy B said:

Trump is really smart shutting down gov't and letting the roads fall apart. This will go a long way to curing America's obesity problem what with people walking 30 or 40 miles each way to work n all.

gotta get in my steps walking to the KFC.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

Timeline
13 minutes ago, CaliCat said:

Benghazi! BLM! 

we are going to rebuild our crumbling infrastructure, and Canada is going to pay.

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg

5 minutes ago, Il Mango Dulce said:

gotta get in my steps walking to the KFC.

Your avatar looks like the extra crispy Trump.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
13 hours ago, Il Mango Dulce said:
GETTY IMAGES

TWEET SHARE MORE

13 hours ago, Teddy B said:

Pffft roads?? We got illegals to worry bout!! Roads, really??

See, didn't I tell ya Wi roads are terrible :D lol the funny thing is, they have for decades banned studs there with the excuse it kills the roads, whereas in VT they are allowed, yet they can't get their stuff together and fix the damn roads over there even without the studs. Even with studs I'll take the roads here over WI any day.

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
36 minutes ago, IAMX said:

What happened to the last 8 years? Didn't Obama have forever and a half to improve the roads? 

Whoops.

#BuildTheWall

What, trying to pin it on Obama?  Don't you know the MDL line, if it is negative, blame Trump or Bush, if it is positive Obama or Cheating/Impeached Bill get all the credit.

By the way, want to drive on some nice roads, try the roads out here in Siberia.  My wife labels them Russian Safari.

:bonk:

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Road improvements are an ongoing process and have been no matter who is in office. it's impossible to redo every road in the country ober the course of a few years. It is a never ending process. And yes, there was a boatload of road construction during Obama's administration, especially here in MA. 

R.I.P Spooky 2004-2015

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
On 8/26/2017 at 6:23 AM, spookyturtle said:

Road improvements are an ongoing process and have been no matter who is in office. it's impossible to redo every road in the country ober the course of a few years. It is a never ending process. And yes, there was a boatload of road construction during Obama's administration, especially here in MA. 

Honestly it seems like they are ripping apart and repaving a different road here every day. 

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

On 8/26/2017 at 3:23 AM, spookyturtle said:

Here in California they(the state) are talking about making vast parts of the I-10 from riverside to Palm Spring and up the I-15 from Riverside to the Nevada border toll lanes. This plan involves literally never-ending construction ripping up brand new bridges to install a new toll lane and build the bridge again.

It's all about trying to make more money for the state.

Edited by cyberfx1024

Timeline
1 hour ago, cyberfx1024 said:

Here in California they(the state) are talking about making vast parts of the I-10 from riverside to Palm Spring and up the I-15 from Riverside to the Nevada border toll lanes. This plan involves literally never-ending construction ripping up brand new bridges to install a new toll lane and build the bridge again.

It's all about trying to make more money for the state.

In the West you really have no idea...almost every significant highway is a toll road West of the Mississippi

ftiq8me9uwr01.jpg