1,020 posts in this topic

On 12/9/2018 at 11:53 AM, vkrishn said:

Thanks. But how did she get a copy of Oath certificate at the venue? Isn't that needed when you submit the application? 

You don't need a copy unless you want one for personal reasons. For the passport application, you just submit the DS11 form they provide you after the interview, check or money order for the necessary amount, and the original naturalization certificate.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline
4 hours ago, tradishd said:

You don't need a copy unless you want one for personal reasons. For the passport application, you just submit the DS11 form they provide you after the interview, check or money order for the necessary amount, and the original naturalization certificate.

Thats interesting because the post office confirmed to me that i need to bring a photocopy of Naturalization certificate along with photocopy of an ID (like Drivers license) unless photocopy is not needed at Oath ceremony venue when you hand over the application there? 

4 hours ago, vkrishn said:

Thats interesting because the post office confirmed to me that i need to bring a photocopy of Naturalization certificate along with photocopy of an ID (like Drivers license) unless photocopy is not needed at Oath ceremony venue when you hand over the application there? 

Check with a different post office to see if they do the same. The form DS11 tells you everything you need and a copy isn't on that checklist, so it could be that the person you spoke to was misinformed, or maybe USPS needs to make a copy themselves but the location you spoke to has a broken copier or something. Lots of people go directly from their oath ceremony to a USPS near them that can process passports without any issue.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country:
Timeline
18 hours ago, Spout said:

Got rescheduled to January 16th. I got noticed last week. It’s frustrating, but at least it doesn’t overlap with my trip in Europe

Did you get a text/ email? did your status change? Thanks for the update. it helps us a lot!

Timeline
1 hour ago, tradishd said:

Check with a different post office to see if they do the same. The form DS11 tells you everything you need and a copy isn't on that checklist, so it could be that the person you spoke to was misinformed, or maybe USPS needs to make a copy themselves but the location you spoke to has a broken copier or something. Lots of people go directly from their oath ceremony to a USPS near them that can process passports without any issue.

That's not true. Even State gov website does indicate to provide a photocopy of evidence which in this case will be Naturalization certificate. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/apply-in-person.html

2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

• Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

3. Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re providing to us.

Photocopies must be:

• Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: France
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Californian wife said:

Did you get a text/ email? did your status change? Thanks for the update. it helps us a lot!

Both, the status changed and I got a text and an email. I'm happy it got rescheduled briefly (3 days after the cancellation notice).

8 minutes ago, vkrishn said:

That's not true. Even State gov website does indicate to provide a photocopy of evidence which in this case will be Naturalization certificate. 

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/apply-renew-passport/apply-in-person.html

2. Provide Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

You must submit one of the following. Your evidence must be an original or certified copy. A certified copy is any document that has the seal or stamp of the official issuing authority.

• Fully-valid, undamaged U.S. passport (may be expired)
  • U.S. birth certificate that meets the following requirements: 
    • Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
    • Lists your full name, date of birth, and place of birth
    • Lists your parent(s)' full names
    • Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth)
    • Has the registrar's signature
    • Has the seal of the issuing authority
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Certificate of Naturalization 
  • Certificate of Citizenship

If you cannot submit one of the above acceptable documents, or for more information, please see Citizenship Evidence.

3. Bring a Photocopy of U.S. Citizenship Evidence

Submit a photocopy of the front (and back, if there is printed information) of the U.S. citizenship evidence you’re providing to us.

Photocopies must be:

• Legible
  • On white 8.5”x11” standard paper
  • Black and white
  • Single sided

If you don't want to submit a photocopy of your citizenship evidence, you may submit a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, which we will keep. If you don’t submit a photocopy or a second certified copy of your citizenship evidence, your passport processing could be delayed.

You're right, it does state to submit a copy, my bad. I didn't submit one at the oath ceremony and they didn't ask for it either. Maybe they made the photocopy themselves, I don't know. However I did receive my passport in less than 3 weeks from submitting and I doubt it got delayed since I requested normal processing with states 4-6 weeks. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Spout said:

Both, the status changed and I got a text and an email. I'm happy it got rescheduled briefly (3 days after the cancellation notice).

I am guessing they are scheduling the morning ones first, then will start the afternoon? 

Has anyone else gotten the reschedule notice for oath ceremony? Please update us!

3 hours ago, tradishd said:

You're right, it does state to submit a copy, my bad. I didn't submit one at the oath ceremony and they didn't ask for it either. Maybe they made the photocopy themselves, I don't know. However I did receive my passport in less than 3 weeks from submitting and I doubt it got delayed since I requested normal processing with states 4-6 weeks. 

I attended my oath ceremony back in September.  I did not submit a copy of the naturalization certificate.  I think this is waived if you submitting AT THE OATH CEREMONY the yellow folder/packet you received at your interview. 

I did however include a copy of my drivers incense, just because I felt safer doing so.   Two weeks later I got my passport in the mail without a problem. 

If you are going to the post office, I just did with my fiance....then you HAVE to give them copies.

N-400 Timeline (San Francisco field office):

09/05/2017 (day   00):  N-400 application sent via USPS

09/08/2017 (day   03):  Application delivered (USPS tracking info)

09/11/2017 (day   06):  Credit Card Charged (Online Banking)

09/13/2017 (day   08)Case Number (NBC*XXXXXXXXX) Received via email and text

09/16/2017 (day   11)Receipt Notice via us mail Priority Date: 09/08/17

09/21/2017 (day   16):  Biometrics Appointment Notice Received

09/29/2017 (day   24)Early walk-in biometrics was completed (originally scheduled for 10/02/17)

10/19/2017 (day   44):  Email and text notification received Case Status "Case in line for an interview"

06/27/2018 (day  295): Email and text notification received Case Status "Interview was Scheduled"

07/02/2018 (day  300): Interview Letter Received via USPS

08/01/2018 (day  330): Interview Date

08/09/2018 (day  339): Email and text notification received Case Status "Oath Ceremony"

08/13/2018 (day  342): Oath Letter Received

09/06/2018 (day  366): Oath Ceremony (1 Year / 1 Day)

On 12/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, Californian wife said:

I am guessing they are scheduling the morning ones first, then will start the afternoon? 

Has anyone else gotten the reschedule notice for oath ceremony? Please update us!

I was scheduled for 5th morning.. havent seen any updates yet. hopefully soon

Timeline
On 12/12/2018 at 3:11 PM, ZeeXO said:

I attended my oath ceremony back in September.  I did not submit a copy of the naturalization certificate.  I think this is waived if you submitting AT THE OATH CEREMONY the yellow folder/packet you received at your interview. 

I did however include a copy of my drivers incense, just because I felt safer doing so.   Two weeks later I got my passport in the mail without a problem. 

If you are going to the post office, I just did with my fiance....then you HAVE to give them copies.

Thanks ZeeXo and tradishd. That makes sense. Looks like you need the copy only when you give it at the acceptance facility. Wish they were clear on the website. 

Timeline

I received an email regarding my I751 that there's been a new action on my case. When I check my status hasn't changed,  but the email says the new status is " Post decision activity" . Does anyone know what the heck does that mean? I'm very anxious on what this one is all about 😕

Timeline

Just finished attending Naturalization Ceremony at Hayward City Hall. USCIS confirmed that they will NOT take application for passport and told us to set an appointment at City hall or any other acceptance facility. I believe the reason for not taking the application for passport is because this was a special ceremony and total number of candidates who became citizens were 44. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.