Sarlou

K3 or CR1/IR1

9 posts in this topic

Hi everyone....

I'm still unsure as to the pros and cons of the K3 vs CR1/IR1. Which visa is likely to allow me to move over more quickly?

I'd really like to hear others reasons for applying for one or the other...

When would I have to decide on one or the other?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi everyone....

I'm still unsure as to the pros and cons of the K3 vs CR1/IR1. Which visa is likely to allow me to move over more quickly?

I'd really like to hear others reasons for applying for one or the other...

When would I have to decide on one or the other?

The K3 is the faster visa however, the CR1 is the best one (in my opinion). I chose the CR1 route even though it's slower. It was the best visa for us b/c my huband arrives we can focus on starting our lives together vs doing AOS and of course him adjusting to the US.

You can decide later once the two petitions have been approved BUT if you chose to go the CR1 route you will need to submit form I-824 for another $200.

Anna (Chicago) and Javon (Jamaica)

USCIS: I-130 Process

10/30/06 - Married to my loving husband

01/06/07 - NOA1 ($190)

05/16/07 - NOA2!!!!!

NVC: CR-1 Process

05/21/07 - NVC recv'd case (per rep @ NVC)

05/29/07 - NVC Assigned Case # (KNG2007******)

06/01/07 - Faxed change of address request to NVC

06/08/07 - NVC confirmed new address

06/18/07 - DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) & AOS (I-864) Fee Bill generated

06/23/07 - Recv'd DS-3032 & AOS Bill via snail mail

07/09/07 - Emailed DS-3032 (Choice of Agent) to NVC

07/19/07 - Mailed AOS Fee Bill ($70) to St. Louis, MO

07/19/07 - Recv'd email from NVC - Choice of Agent was accepted

07/23/07 - IV (DS-230) Fee Bill was generated

08/11/07 - Recv'd IV Fee Bill via snail mail

08/15/07 - Recv'd AOS Packet in the mail

.png

.png

The K3 is the faster visa however, the CR1 is the best one (in my opinion). I chose the CR1 route even though it's slower. It was the best visa for us b/c my huband arrives we can focus on starting our lives together vs doing AOS and of course him adjusting to the US.

You can decide later once the two petitions have been approved BUT if you chose to go the CR1 route you will need to submit form I-824 for another $200.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I had found out so far....

Although I realise how different cases can be, is it possible to get any estimates of time for both routes... I'm not going to be working in England whilst I wait to move over as I am a teacher and I would only be able to get contracts of a year. Because of this I figure the K3 might be a good idea because either way I will be waiting to be able to work! It would just depend on the time frame. I have no ties in England at the moment, I'm literally going to be waiting to move over

So that's my situation pretty much..... just really not sure what to go for!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

My wife is also from England and we filed both the I-130 and the I-129F. Our I-130 was approved at the CSC in 62 days and we are a good way through the NVC already and the I-129F hasn't been touched in nearly two months. So, from everything I've read on VJ and our experience, apply for both and hope the I-130 goes through first. Good luck and we hope you have a fast journey.

My wife is also from England and we filed both the I-130 and the I-129F. Our I-130 was approved at the CSC in 62 days and we are a good way through the NVC already and the I-129F hasn't been touched in nearly two months. So, from everything I've read on VJ and our experience, apply for both and hope the I-130 goes through first. Good luck and we hope you have a fast journey.

That's so helpful!!! Thank you and good luck with your application. I'd love to be kept up to date with how you're doing. Just out of interest, what supporting documentation did you put with your application? We're having trouble working out what to include to prove that our marriage is real as we've only been married a couple of months and have never been able to live together... therefore we don't have joint finances, living arrangements etc....

That's so helpful!!! Thank you and good luck with your application. I'd love to be kept up to date with how you're doing. Just out of interest, what supporting documentation did you put with your application? We're having trouble working out what to include to prove that our marriage is real as we've only been married a couple of months and have never been able to live together... therefore we don't have joint finances, living arrangements etc....

Include signed letters from family and friends attesting to your relationship - there's a bit about this in the I-130 instructions right after the list of things like lease agreement and joint account statements. You could also include a couple of wedding photos and proof of communication (email, phone) and plane tickets. I wouldn't go too over board - like three letters from family/friends, literally two or three pictures, and some proof of communication/visits not all of it! :)

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

Include signed letters from family and friends attesting to your relationship - there's a bit about this in the I-130 instructions right after the list of things like lease agreement and joint account statements. You could also include a couple of wedding photos and proof of communication (email, phone) and plane tickets. I wouldn't go too over board - like three letters from family/friends, literally two or three pictures, and some proof of communication/visits not all of it! :)

Thanks, that's pretty much what we thought..... just really want to make sure we do this right first time!

We just got an RFE for not including such info in our CR1 application (long story, but if you're dying to read some really whingey rants, I posted about this earlier this week: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=64148). What MargotDarko mentions as proof is exactly what I put in my "package of proof". Bruce and I are newlyweds too and only moved in together last August, and we don't have joint accounts (I have always preferred to keep my money separate from my SO) but I had scads of bills and whatnot showing we clearly live at the same address. Coupled with three letters from friends and my boss, and some pictures obviously taken at different times of the year with both our families, we think this is probably adequate.

Best of luck!!! :thumbs:

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.