AndreaK

questions on medical/doctors

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

from what i've read, by and large the biggest factors in determining whether you will be denied a visa is if you have a criminal record or if you have any communicable diseases (eg tuberculosis, etc).

i have neither of the above, but i do have a couple of medical issues - none transmittable or contagious - and i am wondering for those that have gone through the whole process of getting the medical, what was all involved? just a general questionaire and blood work? was there a set list of doctors that could be seen to perform the medical, or could you see any doctor? did you have to provide medical records at all? would going on short term disability from work potentially affect the visa application (if they even ask or have access to records of this sort)?

i'm probably worrying over nothing, but if anyone could offer a little insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

First contact: Oct 14/06

First meeting: Nov 6-13/06

Engaged: Dec 29/06

Moved to US: June 28/07

Married: July 14/07

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello my name sake!!! :)

List of doctors to follow.

your medical history will be what you tell them it is.

the only medical file you submit of your own is your immunizations.

the actual procedure varies by doctor.

ALBERTA

Dr. Willem A. Viljoen

220 1919 Sirocco Drive SW

Calgary, AB

403-242-0484

Dr. H.S. Chana

9937 113th St

Edmonton, AB

780-488-2232

BRITISH COLUMBIA

Dr. Ian Morgan

Woking Medical Services

1144 Burrard St. Suite 250

Vancouver, BC

604-681-8873

MANITOBA

Dr. Ray Singer

95 Sherbrook St.

Winnipeg, MB

204-775-4471

Dr. Jerry Drexler

790 Sherbrook St.

Winnipeg, MB

204-774-6541

NEWFOUNDLAND

Dr. J.D. Vaughn-Jackson

2 Mount Cashel Road

St. John's, NFLD

709-753-1450

NOVA SCOTIA

Dr. Frank Doane

6169 Quinpool Road

Halifax, NS B3L 4P8

902-422-4555

fax: 902-422-9253

ONTARIO

Dr. Al Laity

450 Central Ave, Suite 202

London, ON

519-433-4150

Dr. Maureen Stewart

1919 Riverside Dr

Ottawa, ON

613-523-8998

$250

Medisys Health Group

95 St. Clair Ave W, 12th flr

Toronto, ON

416-926-6464 ext 4025

Dr. Howard Seiden & Assoc

Dr. Laura Penava

3955 Tecumseh Rd E

Windsor, ON

1-866-362-5603

http://www.panelphysicians.com/index.htm

Front-Frederick Health Services

145 Front St E

Toronto, ON

416-362-5603

Dr. Lorne S. Weiner

211-75 Albert St

Ottawa, ON

613-238-5963

$250

QUEBEC

Medisys Health Group

500 Sherbrokke St. W, #1100

Montreal, QC

514-499-2772

1-800-499-1394 ext 500

Sanagex Medicine du Travail

5345 boul L'Assomption, #115

Montreal, QC

(514) 251-9331

Dr. Jean Tremblay

Polyclinique de la Capitale

4225 4e Ave W, #4

Charlesbourg, QC

418-623-3890

SASKATCHEWAN

Dr. Peter H.W. Chau

928 8th Street

Saskatoon, SK

306-244-1561

google.gif

Timeline

thank you so much for the quick reply! :thumbs: that's exactly the info i was hoping for.

thanks!!!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Exactly, they do NOT have ur health records, so they only know what they tell you, for the most part, but honesty is always the best way to go!! lol

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have asthma, had bouts of depression in my past & have had stomache surgeries - told the Dr. at the medical and he wrote it down, but nothing was said about it at any point in the interview process.

If you are worried about anything in particular you could have your current Dr. write an explanitory note about your situation - patient has mild form of asthma which is controlled by blah blah blah - if you want to have some explanation for the Dr. at the medical.

AND they ask you to bring any current meds to the Exam as I recall. SO.. i carted off my inhailers as well. They will make note of that stuff.

Dr. Doane (in H'fax) did also tell me if I passed the medical or not. (he said pending the all clear on the blood work and the x-ray). You could simply ask the Dr. at the end as well. You ultimately have the control on your medical as you will be the one turning it in to the Consulate. (not that you can change anything and the medical is sealed but the Dr. doesn't send it directly to the Consulate is what I mean)

EXCEPT for an HIV/AIDS positive. Dr. Doane told me that if I should test positive he had a legal obligation to tell both CDN and US authorities of that. I dunno if that's 100% true but that's what he said :)

Edited by Emancipation

AOS:

2007-02-22: Sent AOS /EAD

2007-03-06 : NOA1 AOS /EAD

2007-03-28: Transferred to CSC

2007-05-17: EAD Card Production Ordered

2007-05-21: I485 Approved

2007-05-24: EAD Card Received

2007-06-01: Green Card Received!!

Removal of Conditions:

2009-02-27: Sent I-751

2009-03-07: NOA I-751

2009-03-31: Biometrics Appt. Hartford

2009-07-21: Touched (first time since biometrics) Perhaps address change?

2009-07-28: Approved at VSC

2009-08-25: Received card in the mail

Naturalization

2012-08-20: Submitted N-400

2013-01-18: Became Citizen

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
I have asthma, had bouts of depression in my past & have had stomache surgeries - told the Dr. at the medical and he wrote it down, but nothing was said about it at any point in the interview process.

If you are worried about anything in particular you could have your current Dr. write an explanitory note about your situation - patient has mild form of asthma which is controlled by blah blah blah - if you want to have some explanation for the Dr. at the medical.

AND they ask you to bring any current meds to the Exam as I recall. SO.. i carted off my inhailers as well. They will make note of that stuff.

Dr. Doane (in H'fax) did also tell me if I passed the medical or not. (he said pending the all clear on the blood work and the x-ray). You could simply ask the Dr. at the end as well. You ultimately have the control on your medical as you will be the one turning it in to the Consulate. (not that you can change anything and the medical is sealed but the Dr. doesn't send it directly to the Consulate is what I mean)

EXCEPT for an HIV/AIDS positive. Dr. Doane told me that if I should test positive he had a legal obligation to tell both CDN and US authorities of that. I dunno if that's 100% true but that's what he said :)

Well, it's good to know that those conducting the interview process probably aren't too concerned with the medical review then. As for HIV/AIDS... I belive that and syphilis are the two STDs that must be reported to the CDC. Everything else, if I recall correctly, can be treated or cured, without a need for a formal report.

Timeline

thanks for the extra info and pointers everyone, i'll be sure to keep it all in mind (along with everything else, lol)

i understand completely about the std issue, and thankfully i have nothing to worry about in that department, or with HIV, etc... that's a really good idea though, to have my doctor write up a brief note about my issues and how they're being managed (and have been for years). honesty is always the best policy.

thanks for the extra info and pointers everyone, i'll be sure to keep it all in mind (along with everything else, lol)

i understand completely about the std issue, and thankfully i have nothing to worry about in that department, or with HIV, etc... that's a really good idea though, to have my doctor write up a brief note about my issues and how they're being managed (and have been for years). honesty is always the best policy.

I saw my gastroentologist yesterday, who's been following me since diagnosing me with Crohn`s disease since 2000. I asked him if he'd write up a nice letter(when the time comes) that says that my condition is stable and that I haven't had any serious complications. that Im on such and such meds. He had no problem with it. And his secretary said she'd be happy to make a copy of my file for when I move and find a doctor in Colorado.

I agree, honesty is the best policy. :)

Married! 03/19/2007

I-130 Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 190 days)

I-129f Process

10/30/2007 : APPROVED!!!! (in 151 days)

02/08/2008 : Interview (Approved!)

02/18/2008 : Visa in Hand :D

02/26/2008 : Moved to Colorado

I-751 Lifting of Conditions

06/01/2010 : Completed packet for I-751

06/04/2010 : Mailed packet via UPS

06/07/2010 : Receipt for I-751

08/18/2010 : Biometrics appointment

08/20/2010 : Approved

02/09/2011 : Contacted congressman due to non-receipt of card

03/28/2011 : Card received!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.