Rahrah0526

Question about items on criminal background check

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hello!  I have found this site extremely helpful and I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into a question about the police record.

My English fiance has a minor animal neglect charge on his record.  He paid a fine but had no community service or jail time.  I see that he needs to bring detailed court information in addition to the police record itself to the interview, but I am curious to know if there have been any other similar issues with folks on Visa Journey.  It doesn't appear to be one of the major crimes that tend to keep people out (domestic abuse, violent crime, etc.), but we are still nervous about it!

Any help or even redirection to a previous post would be greatly aprpeciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
12 hours ago, Rahrah0526 said:

Hello!  I have found this site extremely helpful and I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into a question about the police record.

My English fiance has a minor animal neglect charge on his record.  He paid a fine but had no community service or jail time.  I see that he needs to bring detailed court information in addition to the police record itself to the interview, but I am curious to know if there have been any other similar issues with folks on Visa Journey.  It doesn't appear to be one of the major crimes that tend to keep people out (domestic abuse, violent crime, etc.), but we are still nervous about it!

Any help or even redirection to a previous post would be greatly aprpeciated.

Order the regular police certificate from ACRO. If it says No Trace, his record is clean.

If it says No LIVE TRACE, there is a hidden record. He can order a Subject Access Report from the same place which will give enough details in lieu of a court record which may not exist. That will be sufficient to turn in at the medical and interview. Doubtful it is an issue.

The police certificate is valid for 12 months (for interview purposes in London) so he can order early. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I had a 'No Live Trace' on my certificate from an arrest approx. 15 years ago, which resulted in no charges. I applied for the Subject Access Request, but it takes quite some time to come through (up to 40 days), so I didn't have it in time for my interview. As an alternative route, I called ACRO, who verbally listed the exact details they had on their system relating to the arrest, and followed up with an email requesting my permission to release said details to the embassy, should it be required. Once I had the details provided by ACRO, I then prepared a signed sworn statement, which I handed to the interviewer at the embassy, which helped to speed things up. After the interview, the embassy called ACRO to check that what I had told them on the statement was accurate, then they finished processing my visa.

Hopefully that all makes sense - let me know if you need more info.

Best of luck!

• 7 months later...
Timeline

I just wanted to put a follow-up comment here for any future VJ-ers in a similar boat.  My fiance had an animal neglect charge that resulted in a fine only, and a common assault charge that had no fine/jail/etc.  He had his interview this morning and was asked briefly about both charges but was approved!!  Thanks to all for your help!

37 minutes ago, Rahrah0526 said:

I just wanted to put a follow-up comment here for any future VJ-ers in a similar boat.  My fiance had an animal neglect charge that resulted in a fine only, and a common assault charge that had no fine/jail/etc.  He had his interview this morning and was asked briefly about both charges but was approved!!  Thanks to all for your help!

I noticed that you were able to get your interview and medical set up within 3 weeks of receiving your packet? How long ago did you request the ACRO report?  I believe it takes about 40 days to get back to you?

Timeline
Just now, jarsenault2011 said:

I noticed that you were able to get your interview and medical set up within 3 weeks of receiving your packet? How long ago did you request the ACRO report?  I believe it takes about 40 days to get back to you?

We were trying to prepare ahead, so he filed for his ACRO a few months into our I-129F NOA1 to NOA2 waiting period.  We had essentially everything we needed ready to go by the time the NOA2 was granted.  I checked with my fiance and he thinks his ACRO came within about 10 days but apparently there is a faster version you can pay for as well.  Good luck!

5 minutes ago, Rahrah0526 said:

We were trying to prepare ahead, so he filed for his ACRO a few months into our I-129F NOA1 to NOA2 waiting period.  We had essentially everything we needed ready to go by the time the NOA2 was granted.  I checked with my fiance and he thinks his ACRO came within about 10 days but apparently there is a faster version you can pay for as well.  Good luck!

Thank you, we are currently waiting for the packet to arrive, it was approved on the 26th and sent to London.   Can I ask if you had to provide medical documentation at Kingsbridge for medical? Or just Vaccinations?

Just now, jarsenault2011 said:

Thank you, we are currently waiting for the packet to arrive, it was approved on the 26th and sent to London.   Can I ask if you had to provide medical documentation at Kingsbridge for medical? Or just Vaccinations?

Did they ask for his entire medical history?

Timeline

Knightsbridge wants a medial summary from your medical provider.  So bring that and also your vaccination history.  If you have had any chronic conditions or bouts of depression/stress, you may want to have your provider write a specific note addressing those issues and that you are well controlled and/or those issues are resolved.  My fiance brought a medical summary and vaccination history but had to make arrangements for a letter regarding a specific issue to be sent from his provider's office to Knightsbridge.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline
On 06/04/2018 at 5:33 PM, Rahrah0526 said:

Thanks for the update, I have similar concerns of my own.  What paperwork did Mark take to the embassy - was it just the ACRO Police Certificate?  What did they ask about the charges?

Timeline
17 minutes ago, sgwales said:

Thanks for the update, I have similar concerns of my own.  What paperwork did Mark take to the embassy - was it just the ACRO Police Certificate?  What did they ask about the charges?

He took the court documents, ACRO and other police certificate thing (name I can't recall . . . it's what you request if they ACRO says "Further results stepped down").  They only asked him yes/no questions.  And basically it was just verifying what he was charged with and what the outcome was.  For him it was easy and it surprised us both as we had fretted for a long time about it!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.