IAMX

More Than 1.1 Million Fewer Americans on Food Stamps Under Trump

178 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Teddy B said:

How much do you think the average company that hires a high percentage of minimum wage employees would have to raise their prices to cover the costs? I'm thinking maybe a nickel or a dime per item, but even if it's a dollar per item, I don't see that breaking a person making $15hr, do you? And God forbid a company like Walmart should pay for the pay hike out of their profits.

certainly a family worth 130 billion dollars would go bankrupt if they employed folks in the same fashion as say, costco. full time employees with benefits packages? oh no, walmart has to go mainly part time - no benefits, not to mention how many walmart employees have to rely on welfare benefits. poor, poor waltons. :(

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/#5e141f28720b

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

certainly a family worth 130 billion dollars would go bankrupt if they employed folks in the same fashion as say, costco. full time employees with benefits packages? oh no, walmart has to go mainly part time - no benefits, not to mention how many walmart employees have to rely on welfare benefits. poor, poor waltons. :(

1 minute ago, smilesammich said:

Walmart's low-wage workers cost U.S. taxpayers an estimated $6.2 billion in public assistance including food stamps, Medicaid and subsidized housing, according to a report published to coincide with Tax Day, April 15.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoconnor/2014/04/15/report-walmart-workers-cost-taxpayers-6-2-billion-in-public-assistance/#5e141f28720b

It's mind boggling that conservatives who can't stand people being on welfare have no problem with subsidizing companies that force people to collect that welfare. Rather than get angry at the companies and force them to do the right thing by paying their employees a living wage, they protect the companies and get mad at the people that need the subsidies to survive. Now that's some logic for ya.

7 minutes ago, Teddy B said:

It's mind boggling that conservatives who can't stand people being on welfare have no problem with subsidizing companies that force people to collect that welfare. Rather than get angry at the companies and force them to do the right thing by paying their employees a living wage, they protect the companies and get mad at the people that need the subsidies to survive. Now that's some logic for ya.

seems to me conservatives just ignore information they don't like when it comes to poverty. it's pretty easy to kick the little guy when they're down, feels good in the moment as well - makes ya feel 'better than'. hard to get anything positive out of railing against an untouchable family worth 130 billion..

Edited by smilesammich

3 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

seems to me conservatives just ignore information they don't like when it comes to poverty. it's pretty easy to kick the little guy when they're down, feels good in the moment as well - makes ya feel 'better than'. hard to get anything positive out of railing against an untouchable family worth 130 billion..

The other thing that's hard to understand is how conservatives seem to think this "living wage" thing is something new and will cripple the country and simply cannot be done. It wasn't but 30/40 years or so ago that a very large number of families were able to support themselves with minimum wage jobs and not need gov't assistance to survive.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
4 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

imo, higher education is in a state of disarray because it is now a commodity and those who can afford a diploma, receive one. it has little to do with effort or earning proper grades. that being said, genuine higher education and refined skills are most certainly needed as we devolve into idiocracy. the idea that lower skilled workers don't deserve a living wage in some backwards puritan sense, or that lower skilled workers can only take, not enrich, a growing economy, is propaganda. 

tell poor people what food to eat, tell companies how to train their employees. frrreeedum!

Well obviously we want Doctors to have gone to school so yeah certain fields you need higher education, however there are many jobs where an intelligent, competent person could easily either be self taught, or get taught/trained by that workplace with minimal cost or effort to them. I just don't think a diploma should be the end all be all. 

Just now, Teddy B said:

How much do you think the average company that hires a high percentage of minimum wage employees would have to raise their prices to cover the costs? I'm thinking maybe a nickel or a dime per item, but even if it's a dollar per item, I don't see that breaking a person making $15hr, do you? And God forbid a company like Walmart should pay for the pay hike out of their profits.

I don't know, I've given the example here before - every Jan 1 min wage goes up, and coincidentally, every Jan 1 prices go up as well, usually the correlation is about 1:1 percentage wise if not more towards the cost than the wage so I'm just not sure how that's going to help.Again instead of typing a long answer I have to refer ya'll to a discussion we already had about this not so long ago: 

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

1 minute ago, Teddy B said:

The other thing that's hard to understand is how conservatives seem to think this "living wage" thing is something new and will cripple the country and simply cannot be done. It wasn't but 30/40 years or so ago that a very large number of families were able to support themselves with minimum wage jobs and not need gov't assistance to survive.

yep. and 30/40 years ago students could obtain degrees in higher education without being saddled with a hundred grand in debt. more than likely got a better education out of the deal too.

8 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

yep. and 30/40 years ago students could obtain degrees in higher education without being saddled with a hundred grand in debt. more than likely got a better education out of the deal too.

Capitalistic greed has taken over and pretty much destroyed the middle class in the process.

Timeline
5 minutes ago, OriZ said:

Well obviously we want Doctors to have gone to school so yeah certain fields you need higher education, however there are many jobs where an intelligent, competent person could easily either be self taught, or get taught/trained by that workplace with minimal cost or effort to them. I just don't think a diploma should be the end all be all. 

I don't know, I've given the example here before - every Jan 1 min wage goes up, and coincidentally, every Jan 1 prices go up as well, usually the correlation is about 1:1 percentage wise if not more towards the cost than the wage so I'm just not sure how that's going to help.Again instead of typing a long answer I have to refer ya'll to a discussion we already had about this not so long ago: 

Apparently raising the minimum wage, an effect that causes companies to scramble to minimize overhead (if they even can), allows more wealth, even though it causes less employment. 

Anyways, what's really heinous is that people actually need to make good choices, long term investment, and take risks (ugh that white privilege).. what people should really do is get more for less. Getting more things for free will certainly make people understand and appreciate the things they have. -- the quintessence of productive society. :rofl:

3 minutes ago, Teddy B said:

Capitalistic greed has taken over and pretty much destroyed the middle class in the process.

capitalistic greed that allows for burrowing in safe shiny bubbles of ignorance..

Timeline
13 minutes ago, smilesammich said:

Gee I wonder what happened since that contributed greatly to this problem:

https://www.newamerica.org/education-policy/policy-explainers/higher-ed-workforce/federal-student-aid/federal-student-loans/federal-student-loan-history/

4 minutes ago, IAMX said:

Apparently raising the minimum wage, an effect that causes companies to scramble to minimize overhead (if they even can), allows more wealth, even though it causes less employment. 

Anyways, what's really heinous is that people actually need to make good choices, long term investment, and take risks (ugh that white privilege).. what people should really do is get more for less. Getting more things for free will certainly make people understand and appreciate the things they have. -- the quintessence of productive society. :rofl:

No need to take any risks, play it safe and worst case scenario you'll get a handout.

Edited by OriZ

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

Timeline
Just now, OriZ said:

No need to take any risks, play it safe and worst case scenario you'll get a handout.

Anything for lefties to avoid looking at themselves as the source of their own problems. It must be other people's fault they're lazy and useless.

What really needs to change is all those terrible wealthy people who took all this risk and reaped the reward, or those who simply made safe, productive decisions in life and reaped the reward of that. Society's real backbone is people sitting on their ### and demanding everyone else stoop to their level. :rofl:

Timeline

Timeline
3 minutes ago, OriZ said:

And of course those companies will be bailed out, as well as the useless people who took out loans and don't feel they need to repay them.

That's part of the good decision making the left want everyone else to stoop to. I guess all the successful results of anti-capitalist societies shows a silver lining to them. :rofl:

16 minutes ago, IAMX said:

17 minutes ago, IAMX said:

So you're okay with corporate welfare, just not so much for the little guy. Murica!