meowmix7

Marring an active duty member who is overseas

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Australia
Timeline

Hello,

My fiancée is currently stationed in Italy and he has two more years left there.

I on the other hand am a foreign national living in the U.S. with a 10-year green card which I obtained through my parents.

If we do get married and I move to Italy, will I get trouble when coming back to the U.S.?

I heard about re-entry permit but if you are a spouse of a military member you don't need it?

If you are already married then I understand that your name will be added to the order but what if you get married in the middle of the deployment?

V/r,

Edited by meowmix7

You have get a reentry permit for up to 2 years. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Resources/B5en.pdf

But I recommend that you reconsider becoming a US citizen eventually, particularly if he is going to moved all over the world. People have come to VJ to say that they've lost their GC because they had moved to another country and they had to start everything from zero. 

At least you are making the right thing and asking now. Make sure you keep ties to the US when you move, like a bank account, send your taxes, maybe get a cheap storage locker for your stuff, you might be asked for something to prove your move was temporary.

• 1 month later...

First thing: You need to be in his orders.

it’s actually a grey area. Technically once you are in his orders you should be fine but really depends on the person you find at CBP. 

I’ve heard good and bad about this. 

I actually discussed it with an IO and she said it depends really on the person who let you in when you return from overseas. 

• 5 weeks later...

I know it is a late answer but when you are on military orders as dependant it counts as time lived in the US. I married my husband when he was overseas and we lived there for another year after the wedding and when I was filling my security clearance and everything, it was considered as stay in the US. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.