4,721 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline

Hey all!

Day 179 here, August 4th NOA1

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with all these July approvals! Had a few questions I was wondering if anyone had the answer to:

1. We went through a lawyer as we were lucky enough to have a previous work associate who runs an immigration law firm - Is it worth us signing up for informed delivery or will our letter from USCIS be going back to the lawyer's office from whence it was sent?

2. If that is the case, how is https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do this website for checking if we've been approved? Will it change as soon as we've been approved or does it update as slowly as USCIS' other webpages?

3. I had a look through July and noticed what seemed like a lot of RFEs in the scans (though I could be wrong). Does it seem like there's a lot of RFEs this time around or is this about normal?

LET'S GO AUGUST! Only a few weeks late if we all knock on wood!

13 minutes ago, rpwcaw said:

Hey all!

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel with all these July approvals! Had a few questions I was wondering if anyone had the answer to:

1. We went through a lawyer as we were lucky enough to have a previous work associate who runs an immigration law firm - Is it worth us signing up for informed delivery or will our letter from USCIS be going back to the lawyer's office from whence it was sent?

2. If that is the case, how is https://egov.uscis.gov/casestatus/landing.do this website for checking if we've been approved? Will it change as soon as we've been approved or does it update as slowly as USCIS' other webpages?

3. I had a look through July and noticed what seemed like a lot of RFEs in the scans (though I could be wrong). Does it seem like there's a lot of RFEs this time around or is this about normal?

@Naes - baby girl, maybe you can answer the inquiries? :wub:

Edit: I am knocking so hard on wood right now. :jest:

Edited by NICK & PAULA

Packet Sent: August 23, 2017 

NOA1 Received Date: August 25, 2017 

NOA1 Notice Date: August 29, 2017

NOA2: March 1, 2018 (by calling Tier 2)

NOA 2 Notice Date: March 2, 2018 (according to the new USCIS website)

NOA2 Hard Copy: March 6, 2018 

NVC Received: March 16, 2018

NVC Case Number Assigned: March 23, 2018

In Transit: March 23, 2018

Status "Ready": March 27, 2018

Case Last Updated: April 2, 2018

Packet 3 Received: May 9, 2018

Interview: June 7, 2018

CEAC Status ISSUED: June 12, 2018

VOH: June 18, 2018

POE: July 5, 2018

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Japan
Timeline
16 minutes ago, rpwcaw said:

Hey all!

@NICK & PAULA thanks  ;) 

1) it doesn't cost you money so there's not really worth it or not; normally yes it worth it.  but if the notices won't come to you but to the lawyer then it may not have a meaning.

2)no. They don't update it properly. Most cases approved never get an online update. Or sometimes even rfes don't get update so tracking your normal mail is really important. If you got lucky with a good lawyer he/she should be proactive and let you know (sorry I just never hear good experiences about lawyers- k1 is too simple for a lawyer)

3) they are doing july so it's normal. Yes there are more rfes this year than previous years. And an rfe can happen at any time of the process but most rfe comes during initial adjudication. You only saw rfes because they're not updating approvals online.

good luck 

Edited by Naes

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Naes said:

@NICK & PAULA thanks  ;) 

1) it doesn't cost you money so there's not really worth it or not; normally yes it worth it.  but if the notices won't come to you but to the lawyer then it may not have a meaning.

2)no. They don't update it properly. Most cases approved never get an online update. Or sometimes even rfes don't get update so tracking your normal mail is really important. If you got lucky with a good lawyer he/she should be proactive and let you know (sorry I just never hear good experiences about lawyers- k1 is too simple for a lawyer)

3) they are doing july so it's normal. Yes there are more rfes this year than previous years. And an rfe can happen at any time of the process but most rfe comes during initial adjudication. You only saw rfes because they're not updating approvals online.

good luck 

Thanks for the responses, I guess the best way is to wait for Eoin (our lawyer, he really is very nice!) to get back to us, or check the scans once August rolls around? The number we're looking out for is the one that starts with WAC correct?

Timeline
19 minutes ago, rpwcaw said:

Thanks for the responses, I guess the best way is to wait for Eoin (our lawyer, he really is very nice!) to get back to us, or check the scans once August rolls around? The number we're looking out for is the one that starts with WAC correct?

Then you are really lucky with the lawyer :)

yes thats your case number which you can use to check your case from uscis website. Nothing that doesn't appear there will appear in the scans :) 

good luck, hope August will start soon!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Are these the correct fees for AOS?

I–485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status New fee $1,140 | old fee $985
Biometric services fee $85.00

Total $1,225

Also do I need to add in the fees for I-131?

I-131/I-131A Application for Travel Document New fee $575 | Old fee $360

Total $1,800.

Sorry for my confusion, I am just updating my budget.

Thank you.

Edited by TexasGuy0101

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TexasGuy0101 said:

Are these the correct fees for AOS?

I–485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status New fee $1,140 | old fee $985
Biometric services fee $85.00

Total $1,225

Yep looks like it.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Naes said:

Yep looks like it.

Also do I need to add in the fees for I-131?

I-131/I-131A Application for Travel Document New fee $575 | Old fee $360

Total $1,800.

Sorry for my confusion, I am just updating my budget.

Timeline

If my fiancé wants to work after we file AOS, will she need to also fill out and apply for I-765? Or will she be able to work after filing AOS?

I–765 Application for Employment Authorization New fee $410 | Old fee $380 

Timeline
1 minute ago, TexasGuy0101 said:

If my fiancé wants to work after we file AOS, will she need to also fill out and apply for I-765? Or will she be able to work after filing AOS?

I–765 Application for Employment Authorization New fee $410 | Old fee $380 

When you file EAD with the AOS, you only pay for AOS.

No she needs to get employment authorization.

so you file AOS and EAD together, only pay for AOS+biometrics for that.

EAD processes too.

EAD comes back first, (4months+ right now) and then she can work.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Tunisia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Naes said:

Exactly. Form wise those are it.

Other than that; some proof for ongoing relationship, like if you guys met after the petition any evidence of that and some recent chat history or call history.

i would also add a new-updated letter of intent signed with the recent date from the petitioner. 

And other than these it would depend on the embassy. 

Perfect, thanks!  sigh. I didn't realize we had to have continuing proof, and the updated letter is easy to do.  I have tons of proof (1 visit after petition) so good to know so i can start gathering pictures, chat history, etc and photocopying it and all that stuff.  

Also, guess what! USCIS updated their site today!  The date says June 27!  Still seems behind but that's to be expected. :)

uscis update.jpg

Timeline
4 minutes ago, LLT said:

Perfect, thanks!  sigh. I didn't realize we had to have continuing proof, and the updated letter is easy to do.  I have tons of proof (1 visit after petition) so good to know so i can start gathering pictures, chat history, etc and photocopying it and all that stuff.  

Also, guess what! USCIS updated their site today!  The date says June 27!  Still seems behind but that's to be expected. :)

uscis update.jpg

Yep, pictures etc is good, just in case also keep some call or chat logs closer to the interview date.

And about the processing times.

When it was May it stuck in May for at least 2 months, so them improving this is a huge thing.

I believe they are trying to keep this showing about 5 months. which is normally their average goal. :) 

Hope it will help following months. At least if they can reduce the wait by 5-10 days per month...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
1 hour ago, Naes said:

Yep, pictures etc is good, just in case also keep some call or chat logs closer to the interview date.

And about the processing times.

When it was May it stuck in May for at least 2 months, so them improving this is a huge thing.

I believe they are trying to keep this showing about 5 months. which is normally their average goal. :) 

Hope it will help following months. At least if they can reduce the wait by 5-10 days per month...

So, sorry for derailing the convo, if they keep going at this rate does that mean people from December/January have a possibility of getting NOA2's in 5 months instead of ~7? 

K1 Timeline

01/10/2018: Mailed I-129F from Miami, Fl

01/12/2018: I-129F Received (according to online NOA1)

01/18/2018: Text message with NOA1 info and case number received

01/26/2018: NOA1 Hard Copy

07/27/2018: NOA2 Received :jest:

08/14/2018: NVC Received, Case & Invoice # assigned

08/21/2018: Case in Transit

08/24/2018: Naples Embassy Received (case READY)

09/04/2018: Packet 3 (received after sending them an email inquiring about the Packet)

09/18/2018: Interview, AP 

10/2/2018: Out of AP, Visa Issued

10/4/2018: Visa in Hand

10/18/2018: POE (Miami, Fl)

10/26/2018: Civil Marriage Ceremony

12/29/2018: Wedding Ceremony 

AOS Timeline

11/16/2018: Filed for AOS at Hialeah, Fl office

11/20/2018: Fingerprint Fee Received

12/12/2018: Fingerprints done 

4/25/2019: Interview Ready to Be Scheduled for I-485 

4/30/2019: Notified that Interview was Scheduled 

6/17/2019:  Interview: approved! :dance: (213 days from filing AOS; no EAD or AP)

9 minutes ago, lilit829 said:

So, sorry for derailing the convo, if they keep going at this rate does that mean people from December/January have a possibility of getting NOA2's in 5 months instead of ~7? 

It is possible but I would say 6 months just to be safer.  Things are looking better for the newer filers than they do for the old timers.

PHILIPPINES ONLY!!!  CFO (Commission on Filipinos Overseas) INFO - Can't leave home without it!

PDOS (Pre-Departure Registration and Orientation Seminar) is for ages 20-59.  Peer Counseling is for 13-19 years of age.

It is required to have the visa in their passport for PDOS and Peer Counseling.

GCP (Guidance and Counseling Program) is for K-1 Fiancee and IR/CR-1 spouse ONLY. 

IMG_5168.jpeg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.