22 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Yes, the "regular" AP can be used for any travel purpose without issue. Emergency AP will only be granted for emergencies.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Pakistan
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Thalia.Fanchiang said:

Hi! Did anyone here has used or know if the advance  can be used parol to go back to my  country and come back without any issue and without being and emergency? just to visit family and attending a wedding/

Advance parol lets you board a plane and fly to a US airport for enter. The immigration officer has authority on if he should allow you to enter the country or not. May I ask why you are using advance parol?

Advance Parole is designed exactly for you to exit and re-enter US after travelling overseas. You can return to the Philippines to attend the wedding. You just cannot stay outside of the US for an extended period of time even with an AP. You'll need to maintain your presence in the US so that you will not be found abandoning your pending AOS or LPR status :)  

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

1 hour ago, feroze895 said:

Advance parol lets you board a plane and fly to a US airport for enter. The immigration officer has authority on if he should allow you to enter the country or not. May I ask why you are using advance parol?

Visiting family and a wedding, still don't know if I will use it, that's why I'm asking around :) 

55 minutes ago, KULtoATL said:

Advance Parole is designed exactly for you to exit and re-enter US after travelling overseas. You can return to the Philippines to attend the wedding. You just cannot stay outside of the US for an extended period of time even with an AP. You'll need to maintain your presence in the US so that you will not be found abandoning your pending AOS or LPR status :)  

I'm from Mexico :P and it will be just a 3 weeks trip or less. 

1 hour ago, A'n'L said:

Yes, the "regular" AP can be used for any travel purpose without issue. Emergency AP will only be granted for emergencies.

Do the one that comes with the EAD (aka combo card) is the normal one right? Is not a emergemcy one? (I'm sorry for all the questions I'm just want to make sure I'm doing things the way they need to) 

1 minute ago, Thalia.Fanchiang said:

Visiting family and a wedding, still don't know if I will use it, that's why I'm asking around :) 

I'm from Mexico :P and it will be just a 3 weeks trip or less. 

Omg @Thalia.Fanchiang I am so sorry (F) I was reading stuff between windows. Have a wonderful trip though :)

Just now, Thalia.Fanchiang said:

Do the one that comes with the EAD (aka combo card) is the normal one right? Is not a emergemcy one? (I'm sorry for all the questions I'm just want to make sure I'm doing things the way they need to) 

Yes, the combo card :)

For my I-129F, K-1, AOS, EAD, AP and ROC detailed timelines, please refer to my timeline page :)

ROC filed on December 1, 2020, assigned to SRC, approved within 106 days on February 18, 2021.

My sincerest gratitude to all VJers, especially the late geowrian.

1 hour ago, feroze895 said:

Visiting family and attending a wedding, also get some things planned for our religious wedding that will be next year. I'm still not sure if I should use it. That's why I'm asking and making sure I take the right and correct desicion. I have been reading online and there is so much different answers for this question. 

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Thalia.Fanchiang said:

Visiting family and attending a wedding, also get some things planned for our religious wedding that will be next year. I'm still not sure if I should use it. That's why I'm asking and making sure I take the right and correct desicion. I have been reading online and there is so much different answers for this question. 

I mean is your visa expired? Do you have green card application pending? Unless you dont have a valid visa or green card no reason to use advance parole.

Edited by feroze895

Timeline

Ok, so you MUST file for advance parole, which is $575.Will take about couple of months for the process depending on your location. When do you expect your interview? You dont want to pay the fees only to learn your interview will be over lapping with the marriage. I suggest you wait for your green card before returning back. With Trump running this country things can get crazy but again I am not a lawyer.

11 minutes ago, feroze895 said:

Ok, so you MUST file for advance parole, which is $575.Will take about couple of months for the process depending on your location. When do you expect your interview? You dont want to pay the fees only to learn your interview will be over lapping with the marriage. I suggest you wait for your green card before returning back. With Trump running this country things can get crazy but again I am not a lawyer.

I already have my combo card. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
45 minutes ago, Thalia.Fanchiang said:

Yes, it's the normal one. It's really no problem to use it for a short trip abroad (did it myself). Just make sure you don't miss your AOS interview.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
12 hours ago, feroze895 said:

Wrong. I-131 and I-765 are free when filed with I-485.

(Irrelevant since OP already has the card)

OP, I'd use AP for visiting family! The only somewhat grey area is DACA holders or other previous long overstays using AP, definitely not you!

45 minutes ago, Mollie09 said:

Wrong. I-131 and I-765 are free when filed with I-485.

(Irrelevant since OP already has the card)

OP, I'd use AP for visiting family! The only somewhat grey area is DACA holders or other previous long overstays using AP, definitely not you!

Thanks so much! WHen did you used yours? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.