undependable

I'm ready to send it in! Am I missing anything?

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hey everyone, after a month or so I think I've finally collected everything I need. Below is a table of contents of stuff I am including, theres also a few big questions if anyone can answer!

Question A: There's a lot of non applicable spaces on my I-130 and I-130a forms, do I write N/A or just leave them blank? My mother who does a ton of paperwork says I should only write N/A in response to a question.

Question B: I got a certified/notarized translation of our wedding certificate (japanese)  from an online website, do I need to send in the original with the signature or just make a copy of it?

Question C: I both met and lived with her during multiple tourist entry and exit visas. We don't have any kind of joint finances. I've put in notarized affidavits of bonafide marriage(from my parents and a mutual friend in japan), photos of us in the 2 years we knew each other (including when our parents met each other), photo copies of my passport entry and exit stamps, and some photos of our text messages in the last 2 years (it would be a 200 page printout if I used them all)

Will this be enough to establish a bonafide marriage? I'm not sure what else I can add.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

To whom it may concern: Below is a table of contents for my CR-1 Visa application. I pray I have filled out everything correctly and I can be reunited with the love of my life someday soon. :)

1. Check for $535 to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security

2. I-130

3. I-130a

4. Photo Copy of my full birth certificate front to back.

5. Copy of my marriage certificate(in japanese) with certified and notarized translation.

6. Two passport sized photos of both me and my wife

7. Evidence of Bonafide marriage:

·        Sworn affidavits from my parents that our marriage is legitimate. Also one from a mutual friend in Japan

·        Copies of my Visa entries in Exits into Japan during 2016-17

·        Photos of our time together including when our parents met in person.

·        Photos of dated text messages between us between 2016-17

Edited by undependable

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Answers:

• Once the initial response to a section is N/A, it counts for the remainder of the section, no need to write that repeatedly.
  • The page containing the attestation statement should be the original; you only need a photocopy of the marriage certificate itself.
  • What you have is fine.  USCIS as well as the Embassy/Consulate will not expect nor require a couple living apart in separate countries to have joint finances.

Lastly, change your letter from " contents for my CR-1 Visa application" to "contents of my I-130, Petition for Alien Relative."  Since you are the petitioner, you are not submitting a visa application, your spouse will do that at a later point in the process.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
17 hours ago, undependable said:

Hey everyone, after a month or so I think I've finally collected everything I need. Below is a table of contents of stuff I am including, theres also a few big questions if anyone can answer!

Question A: There's a lot of non applicable spaces on my I-130 and I-130a forms, do I write N/A or just leave them blank? My mother who does a ton of paperwork says I should only write N/A in response to a question.

We went the conservative route and tried to fill out almost all empty blank spaces with N/A or "None" on my I-130 form last year. 

Question B: I got a certified/notarized translation of our wedding certificate (japanese)  from an online website, do I need to send in the original with the signature or just make a copy of it?

We sent a COPY of our japanese wedding certificate plus our koseki to USCIS and the NVC.  We sent our homemade english translation with an original ink signature to USCIS.

Question C: I both met and lived with her during multiple tourist entry and exit visas. We don't have any kind of joint finances. I've put in notarized affidavits of bonafide marriage(from my parents and a mutual friend in japan), photos of us in the 2 years we knew each other (including when our parents met each other), photo copies of my passport entry and exit stamps, and some photos of our text messages in the last 2 years (it would be a 200 page printout if I used them all)

Will this be enough to establish a bonafide marriage? I'm not sure what else I can add.

Yes, it looks fine.  We only sent one A4 size page of a photo collage we made at 7-11, one page of our passport travel stamps together, and one page of our screenshot text messages. Also sent a ziplock bag, with 4 3"x5" size photos of us together.(Wrote beneficiary full name, date of birth, passport number on the back of the photos).  We also printed and highlighted

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/15/opinion/a-foreigners-frustrations-trying-to-bank-in-japan.html

to show that we couldn't make a joint bank account in japan to show intermingling of finances, just in case.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.