SE18

Drivers licence

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

More info on virginia driver license:

Big problem. 

Well, a bit of good news. The 19-yr old passed written portion of exam and they will later give her a road test (fiancee failed again).

The bad news is even if she passes road test, they will issue DL for only 2 months b/c that's when her visa expires. I asked how to renew it and they said they need to see green card, which could take 9 months more!!!!!

in the meantime, I requested a work permit for the girl. Problem is, she will need to drive to work.

Also, how can I leave the wife and daughter home alone without a DL? I work for Defense Department and travel around the world and we live in an area where a car is required for groceries, etc etc. Very very difficult problem!

They get their biometric fingerprints on Monday so I will ask USCIS about this, but I'm not hopeful anymore. 

Change of topic. About the written VA DMV exam.

DMV has a website with practice exams. Both wife and daughter passed all their online practice exams, but when they went to the DMV, the exams are much much more difficult.

I will post next week regarding any word we get from USCIS regarding DL, but they will probably say that it's not their area of responsibility.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

we just to someone else at DMV and they said they will issue the DL without green card.

When she takes her driver exam on 14 Aug (I'll be in London until then).

21 hours ago, SE18 said:

Yes, my wife was using her international DL (daughter has one as well), but it expires in 2 months. They got it a year ago when they thought they were coming over but we didn't realize that the K-1 process would take almost a year due to the TB exam needing a few months to monitor and slower than expected work by State and USCIS who don't seem to share their databases and ask for the same information like on the bios, but I digress.

In any case, it also helped that they brought their Philippine drivers licenses. The DMV was interested in seeing those as well.

Once you get bank statements for your wife, that's what DMV in virginia uses to prove residency. I drew up a rental agreement and had it notorized (renting my home to them, thinking it would prove residency as it's on the list of accepted documents), but they were jerks about it and refused despite it being on the list. That's why we resorted to the bank statements.

My understanding is that some DMVs are better than others so if you don't get the results you want, shop around.

We patched up last night and will trip over to DMV during lunch to try again.

Good luck!

thank you for this information. i have a additional questions if i may please.

did you need to present the Philippine license and the IDP to the virginia DMV first before they started using it or did they pretty much just start using it the moment they landed?

now that you are applying for the VA license, what did you provide as proof of legal stay? EAD? NOA1 from AOS? or did you still present the stamp from the K1 entry?

i have just realized an issue with my international driver's license though. unlike your wife's IDP which was issued by the Phils (which she is currently a citizen of), my IDP will be issued by the UAE, which by the time I use it will mean my UAE resident status will have already been cancelled. While the IDP itself will stay valid (has 1 year validity and i plan on getting it before my resident permit gets cancelled), I do not know if there is any correlation between that and my ability to use the UAE IDP. meh =(

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

14 hours ago, SE18 said:

More info on virginia driver license:

Big problem. 

Well, a bit of good news. The 19-yr old passed written portion of exam and they will later give her a road test (fiancee failed again).

The bad news is even if she passes road test, they will issue DL for only 2 months b/c that's when her visa expires. I asked how to renew it and they said they need to see green card, which could take 9 months more!!!!!

in the meantime, I requested a work permit for the girl. Problem is, she will need to drive to work.

Also, how can I leave the wife and daughter home alone without a DL? I work for Defense Department and travel around the world and we live in an area where a car is required for groceries, etc etc. Very very difficult problem!

They get their biometric fingerprints on Monday so I will ask USCIS about this, but I'm not hopeful anymore. 

Change of topic. About the written VA DMV exam.

DMV has a website with practice exams. Both wife and daughter passed all their online practice exams, but when they went to the DMV, the exams are much much more difficult.

I will post next week regarding any word we get from USCIS regarding DL, but they will probably say that it's not their area of responsibility.

oh no, sorry to hear. 

EAD was a good idea, since that will at least come faster than the green card. it is approx 3-4 months at the moment. i have also read on here somewhere that the DMV can accept the NOA1 from the AOS in lieu of the green card. have you tried using that?

not sure if helpful in your case, but maybe they can use Uber in the interim? It's not ideal (i know i would prefer to drive than take Uber) but at least it is a way to get around while they wait to get their licenses.

Passport 17-Feb-22 Drop-off at USPS (expedited processing and shipping) ~ 22-Feb-22 Status: In Process ~ 08-Mar-22 Passport book shipped ~ 09-Mar-22 Status: Approved. Passport book in hand.

N-400     28-Jun-21 Filed online ~ 28-Jun-21 Received NOA + "Biometrics will be re-used" notice ~ 14-Dec-21 Interview scheduled ~ 25-Jan-22 Interview. Approved. Case status: Oath will be scheduled.  ~ 01-Feb-22 Oath scheduled. ~ 14-Feb-22 Oath ceremony.   

ROC        11-Jun-20 Application sent via FedEx ~ 16-Jun-20 Case received ~ 29-Jun-20 (Old) biometrics applied to case ~ 01-Jul-20 NOA ~ 23-Dec-21 Case transferred to new office ~ 25-Jan-22 Combo interview with N400. Case approved. 

AOS        13-Oct -17 Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct-17 Case received ~ 24-Oct-17 Fingerprint fee received ~ 25-Oct-17 NOA1 ~ 17-Nov-17 Biometrics ~ 23-Nov-17 Status "We are scheduling
                 your 
interview" ~ 24-Jul-18 Status "We have scheduled your interview" ~ 28-Jul-18 Interview notice received in the mail  ~ 29-Aug-18 Interview 30-Aug-18 Status "Case was approved" 

04-Sep-18 Received approval / welcome letter in the mail ~04-Sep-18 Status: "Card was mailed to me" ~07-Sep-18 Green card received

EAD/AP  13-Oct Application sent via FedEx ~ 17-Oct Case received ~ 25-Oct NOA1 ~ 17-Nov Biometrics ~ 09-Jan Approved ~ 13-Jan Notice received ~ 18-Jan Combo card received

K1 Visa   28-Jun-17 Case ready (No packet 3 received) ~ 22-Jul Medical ~ 02-Aug Interview (APPROVED!) ~ 03-Aug Visa issued ~ 08-Aug VOH ~ 14-Sep POE (Abu Dhabi) ~ 01-Oct-17 Got married! 

I-129F     17-Feb-17 Petition sent via FedEx ~ 21-Feb-17 Case received ~ 24-Feb-17 NOA1 ~ 30-May-17 NOA2 12-Jun-17 NVC received / Case and Invoice numbers assigned ~ 20-Jun-17 NVC left

On 7/26/2017 at 4:04 AM, iamdegie said:

hi - i was wondering if this was at all possible. i would be very keen to do so! please can you share how you did it? what documents you need to provide? i will soon be arriving on a k1 and my fiance has a wells fargo account. thanks.

If I remember correctly, Chinook scanned and emailed two pieces of ID.  I took those to the bank and opened a joint account.  A week or two later, I received two debit cards from Wells Fargo in the mail.  One of the debit cards was in Chinook's name.  I used FedEx to send it to Chinook.

48 minutes ago, Tahoma said:

If I remember correctly, Chinook scanned and emailed two pieces of ID.  I took those to the bank and opened a joint account.  A week or two later, I received two debit cards from Wells Fargo in the mail.  One of the debit cards was in Chinook's name.  I used FedEx to send it to Chinook.

thank you for the info, much appreciated! :D

your 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.