Setti

N-400 July 2017 Filers

1,720 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I filed to the Phoenix Lock Box but haven't had any updates online or to my email since biometrics. Have I missed something? 

2 hours ago, Going through said:

I saw  that you did a walk-in for your biometrics...what was the original date supposed to be?

I've heard two theories---that walk-ins speed up the process, and that walk-ins don't move anything faster because they go by the original date for beginning the processing of biometrics so as not to overload the FBI.

IF they go by the original date to begin processing, then you're looking at least at a 30-60 day window AFTER the original date (not your walk in date) before being moved inline depending on how busy your field office is.  It also depends, of course, what turns up in the background and name check (especially if you have a common name it can take longer to sort out).

Don't just go by the case status, check the date in the upper right hand corner to see if it has changed since doing your walk in.

Perhaps the Seattle field office is busy?  :huh2:

But....there is another Seattle filer who had their biometrics appointment (no walk-in) on 8/24 and they're now in line for an interview on 8/28.  :star:

Perhaps it creates more work for USCIS if you do a walk-in for your biometrics?  :huh2:  Maybe they have to match your original info and your walk-in biometrics data?  I don't know.  :reading:

I was thinking about doing a walk-in, but I may stick to my original appointment since it's only a week away.  <_<

Naturalization

N-400 Sent: Aug 22, 2017

NOA: Aug 24, 2017

Biometrics: Sept 22, 2017

Interview: Oct 22, 2018 (Approved)

Oath Ceremony: Oct 23, 2018

Removing Conditions

I-751 Sent: Aug 22, 2016

NOA1: Aug 25, 2016

Biometrics: Oct 12, 2016

I-130 Application

NOA1: Oct 4, 2013

NOA2: Apr 11, 2014

NVC Received: Apr 30

Case Number: May 23

DS-261 / AOS Fee: June 5

AOS Package (Scan): June 16

IV Fee: July 18

IV Package (Scan): July 25

DS-260 Form: July 25

AOS Package (Accepted): July 29

Case Complete: Sept 16

Medical Exam: Oct 16

Interview: Nov 10

Visa Received: Nov 19

POE: Nov 20, 2014

3 hours ago, Going through said:

I saw  that you did a walk-in for your biometrics...what was the original date supposed to be?

I've heard two theories---that walk-ins speed up the process, and that walk-ins don't move anything faster because they go by the original date for beginning the processing of biometrics so as not to overload the FBI.

IF they go by the original date to begin processing, then you're looking at least at a 30-60 day window AFTER the original date (not your walk in date) before being moved inline depending on how busy your field office is.  It also depends, of course, what turns up in the background and name check (especially if you have a common name it can take longer to sort out).

Don't just go by the case status, check the date in the upper right hand corner to see if it has changed since doing your walk in.

Speaking for me, my biometrics was scheduled for 8/18, I did a walk-in biometrics on 8/14 as I was already in the building for my i551 stamp. I got moved to in-line for interview at 8/28.

I hope I hear something soon about scheduling for my interview.

5 hours ago, Going through said:

I was scheduled for August 22nd, but already had tickets to fly to Denmark that day hence the walk in appointment. The other Seattle filers, one with bio before and one after, are 'in line'. I'm hoping I get updated soon but really, it's just a waiting game. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
4 hours ago, GreatDane said:

I was scheduled for August 22nd, but already had tickets to fly to Denmark that day hence the walk in appointment. The other Seattle filers, one with bio before and one after, are 'in line'. I'm hoping I get updated soon but really, it's just a waiting game. 

Has the date in the upper right corner changed on your case status page?  Maybe you have a soft touch on it which would show it's moving along somehow?

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 14, 2017 (Day 00) -  Submitted N400 Application, filed online

July 21, 2017 (Day 07) -  NOA Receipt received in the mail

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 25, 2017 (Day 11) - Biometrics PDF posted online

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 08, 2017 (Day 24) - Biometrics (fingerprinting) completed

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Naturalization Interview--- read my experience here

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

Oct. 02, 2017 (Day 79) -  Oath Ceremony Letter received in the mail

Oct. 19, 2017 (Day 96) -  Oath Ceremony-- read my experience here

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Freiabr said:

GC-Date: 09/12/2014
Sent: 06/20/2017
Cashd: 06/26/2017
NOA: 06/30/2017
Fprints: 
07/19/2017.
In Line: 07/23/2017
Int Ltr: 07/3102017
Interview: 09/07/2017
Oath: Waiting for letter

Field Office: JFK Building Boston, MA

You  need to post this on the June filers thread, since you submitted your application in June.

Applied for Naturalization based on 5-year Residency - 96 Days To Complete Citizenship!

July 22, 2017 (Day 08) - Biometrics appointment scheduled online, letter mailed out

July 28, 2017 (Day 14) - Biometrics letter received in the mail, appointment for 08/08/17

Aug 14, 2017 (Day 30) - Online EGOV status shows "Interview Scheduled, will mail appointment letter"

Aug 16, 2017 (Day 32) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Interview Scheduled, read the letter we mailed you..."

Aug 17, 2017 (Day 33) - Interview Appointment Letter PDF posted online---GOT AN INTERVIEW DATE!!!

Aug 21, 2017 (Day 37) - Interview Appointment Letter received in the mail, appointment for 09/27/17

Sep. 27, 2017 (Day 74) - Online MYUSCIS status shows "Oath Ceremony Notice mailed"

Sep. 28, 2017 (Day 75) - Oath Ceremony Letter PDF posted online--Ceremony for 10/19/17

9 minutes ago, Freiabr said:

GC-Date: 09/12/2014
Sent: 06/20/2017
Cashd: 06/26/2017
NOA: 06/30/2017
Fprints: 
07/19/2017.
In Line: 07/23/2017
Int Ltr: 07/3102017
Interview: 09/07/2017
Oath: Waiting for letter

Field Office: JFK Building Boston, MA

This should be posted in the June filers and not July filers since you filed on 6/20. Good luck with your application!

Timeline
8 minutes ago, britishdakota said:

Wish I had filed online. Looks like those applications are processing much faster. 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I think it all depends on the field office too and the country of origin (in terms of the speed of background checks clearing).

One of the reasons I chose to file online was because I *knew* NY is busy just due to the sheer size of applicants per year...so they tend to suffer horrible backlogs.

I also think the amount of times I've bothered L2 officers about my case status had something to do with it as well, maybe they just want to get my application over with as quickly as possible at this point LOL

Edited by Going through

Timeline
19 minutes ago, Going through said:

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I think it all depends on the field office too and the country of origin (in terms of the speed of background checks clearing).

One of the reasons I chose to file online was because I *knew* NY is busy just due to the sheer size of applicants per year...so they tend to suffer horrible backlogs.

I also think the amount of times I've bothered L2 officers about my case status had something to do with it as well, maybe they just want to get my application over with as quickly as possible at this point LOL

There was a discussion about paper vs. online filing in the "N-400 August 2017 Filers" thread.  :reading:

You'll definitely save 5-15 days if you apply online since you don't send your application by mail.  :star:  But...the biggest factor is your field office as Going through mentioned.  :dancing:  Some field offices process and interview applicants faster than others.   :clock:  

If you look at the June filers' timelines (both paper and online), they're all over the map.  

The amount of times someone bothers L2 officers!?  :wow:   That... I don't know, but "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"!  :rofl:

Naturalization

Removing Conditions

I-130 Application

Timeline
21 minutes ago, AustinCanada said:

The amount of times someone bothers L2 officers!?  :wow:   That... I don't know, but "The squeaky wheel gets the oil"!  :rofl:

I definitely did some overkill with my calling...but hey, they always say call with any questions/concerns...I learned a long time ago to never trust what the regular USCIS customer service people say so I'd request to speak to a L2 right away, and then put in for a call back from one..plus I had really helpful L2s who would keep me on the phone even after my questions were answered giving me more information.  Two calls I lucked out and actually got the same L2 who remembered me lol

I submitted my application on July 14th...called Monday morning on July 17th and requested an L2.  Told him my NOA hadn't posted online yet and I wanted to make sure the application was received as completed.  As I'm on the phone with him and he's clicking around on his computer telling me about "moving some things",  I refresh my case status and suddenly the online NOA appeared in my account with the submission date.  I thanked him, he told me info on scheduling infopasses if I ever needed one, and then we hung up. 

Called and requested a L2 on July 21st.  Asked him how long it would normally take for biometrics to be scheduled for NY, asked if there's any possible way to be scheduled asap since I do have a less-than-stellar moment in my life a while back and was nervous about clearing the background check quickly due to all the horror stories about being stuck there.  After discussing it with him a bit more (and probably sounding desperate/frantic on my part) He said he'd see what he could do about "prompting the schedule" (whatever that meant, I didn't ask).  He seemed surprised/slightly in awe that I waited so long to file for my N400 instead of right away when I was eligible and asked me why---I explained my reasoning for waiting (nothing bad).  Next day on July 22nd, the "biometrics scheduled" message is posted in my online account.

Called and requested a L2 on July 28th (same day I receive the biometrics letter in the mail).  Asked him about whether in his opinion it would be good to do a walk-in, and if it upsets the process in any way.  He told me it doesn't necessarily make anything faster "because case files then have to be pulled early which can actually result in a delay of getting the file returned back to it's proper place in line".  Decided to take his advice and not do a walk-in.  He wished me good luck in my filing.

Called and requested a L2 on August 8th (my biometrics date).  Got the SAME L2 officer that I spoke to on July 21st about fingerprint scheduling!  He remembered me and we talked a bit about how my appointment went, he joked about my last name and commented on my birth date (don't ask).  I reiterated my genuine concerns about whether I might get stuck in the background checks, and I asked some general questions about what exactly happens during a background check (naturally, he didn't tell me too much about this and responded to my generic questions with careful answers).  He looked at my uploaded documents (I filed online), and said it shouldn't be a huge concern due to different factors (I won't bore you with details), and that it'd been disclosed before on my previous applications, etc.  He did tell me twice something like "in certain instances we may request an expedited background check if we feel the situation warrants it" but wouldn't  elaborate when I pressed him for details on what those certain instances would be while joking about whether I'm special enough.  6 days later my background check cleared and I was put inline for scheduling.  2 days after that my physical interview letter was mailed out.

Mind you...it can be all coincidence.  But I am left with the feeling that it wasn't entirely coincidence with my call dates compared to my case activity dates.  Or, it could be all down to luck and the universe and planets aligning, or whatever.  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Hi.. I had a quick question..I did paper filing thru our attorney..Until a week back I didn't really create an USCIS account to check my status..when I checked it did say on Aug 11 the case put in line for interview.. Can I assume that my background check is complete? I did FP on aug 9th and it changed on Aug 11th which seemed to be too soon.. but I really hope it's complete.The other thing I noticed was when I looked at the case history for my case..before Aug 11 I only saw one update regarding case being received..I would have expected the previous update would have been the biometrics scheduled or so.. Does it mean that case gets updated only on certain situations Or we can't rely on the online status as it could be outdated..

Timeline
18 minutes ago, reema said:

.when I checked it did say on Aug 11 the case put in line for interview.. Can I assume that my background check is complete?

Most likely yes, if it specifically says that.  You don't get put in line until your background check clears.  

One person in this thread went in line the next day after completing the biometrics appointment.

However, if your online status says something like "we are reviewing your biometrics and will schedule your interview" (or some variation of that) then you haven't actually cleared your background check yet.  

What does your case status say exactly?

18 minutes ago, reema said:

The other thing I noticed was when I looked at the case history for my case..before Aug 11 I only saw one update regarding case being received..I would have expected the previous update would have been the biometrics scheduled or so.. Does it mean that case gets updated only on certain situations Or we can't rely on the online status as it could be outdated..

Sometimes there is a lag in updating the online case status, and sometimes it depends on whether or not the person updated the info into the system (sometimes they don't).  There has been some discrepancy over whether or not paper filers receive any online notifications regarding biometrics appointments, too....Some VJ members have said they see case updates about biometrics when sending in the paper applications, some reported they have seen nothing in their online updates regarding fingerprinting appointments at all.

Timeline
7 hours ago, Going through said:

I definitely did some overkill with my calling...but hey, they always say call with any questions/concerns...I learned a long time ago to never trust what the regular USCIS customer service people say so I'd request to speak to a L2 right away, and then put in for a call back from one..plus I had really helpful L2s who would keep me on the phone even after my questions were answered giving me more information.  Two calls I lucked out and actually got the same L2 who remembered me lol

I submitted my application on July 14th...called Monday morning on July 17th and requested an L2.  Told him my NOA hadn't posted online yet and I wanted to make sure the application was received as completed.  As I'm on the phone with him and he's clicking around on his computer telling me about "moving some things",  I refresh my case status and suddenly the online NOA appeared in my account with the submission date.  I thanked him, he told me info on scheduling infopasses if I ever needed one, and then we hung up. 

Called and requested a L2 on July 21st.  Asked him how long it would normally take for biometrics to be scheduled for NY, asked if there's any possible way to be scheduled asap since I do have a less-than-stellar moment in my life a while back and was nervous about clearing the background check quickly due to all the horror stories about being stuck there.  After discussing it with him a bit more (and probably sounding desperate/frantic on my part) He said he'd see what he could do about "prompting the schedule" (whatever that meant, I didn't ask).  He seemed surprised/slightly in awe that I waited so long to file for my N400 instead of right away when I was eligible and asked me why---I explained my reasoning for waiting (nothing bad).  Next day on July 22nd, the "biometrics scheduled" message is posted in my online account.

Called and requested a L2 on July 28th (same day I receive the biometrics letter in the mail).  Asked him about whether in his opinion it would be good to do a walk-in, and if it upsets the process in any way.  He told me it doesn't necessarily make anything faster "because case files then have to be pulled early which can actually result in a delay of getting the file returned back to it's proper place in line".  Decided to take his advice and not do a walk-in.  He wished me good luck in my filing.

Called and requested a L2 on August 8th (my biometrics date).  Got the SAME L2 officer that I spoke to on July 21st about fingerprint scheduling!  He remembered me and we talked a bit about how my appointment went, he joked about my last name and commented on my birth date (don't ask).  I reiterated my genuine concerns about whether I might get stuck in the background checks, and I asked some general questions about what exactly happens during a background check (naturally, he didn't tell me too much about this and responded to my generic questions with careful answers).  He looked at my uploaded documents (I filed online), and said it shouldn't be a huge concern due to different factors (I won't bore you with details), and that it'd been disclosed before on my previous applications, etc.  He did tell me twice something like "in certain instances we may request an expedited background check if we feel the situation warrants it" but wouldn't  elaborate when I pressed him for details on what those certain instances would be while joking about whether I'm special enough.  6 days later my background check cleared and I was put inline for scheduling.  2 days after that my physical interview letter was mailed out.

Mind you...it can be all coincidence.  But I am left with the feeling that it wasn't entirely coincidence with my call dates compared to my case activity dates.  Or, it could be all down to luck and the universe and planets aligning, or whatever.  

That's dedication and hard work!  :wow::wow::wow:

I called USCIS more often when I was applying for I-130 three years ago since I wanted to move to the US ASAP and the application process was taking forever!  :clock:

I hope I become a US citizen by Nov, 2018 so I can vote!  :dancing:

Naturalization

Removing Conditions

I-130 Application

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
1 hour ago, Going through said:

Most likely yes, if it specifically says that.  You don't get put in line until your background check clears.  

One person in this thread went in line the next day after completing the biometrics appointment.

However, if your online status says something like "we are reviewing your biometrics and will schedule your interview" (or some variation of that) then you haven't actually cleared your background check yet.  

What does your case status say exactly?

Mine says " On August 11, 2017, we started the interview scheduling process for your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization , Receipt Number NBC*xxxxxxx. We will send you an interview notice."  So hopefully that means my background check is cleared & I hope I get the interview letter soon..I have decide not to check my case status for another 2 weeks 😊

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.