75 posts in this topic

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

First off congratulations !!!! Our interview time is set for 11am , I'm guessing you are probably set for 10am? Unfortunately because we had to travel to the USA for funerals only my husband will be going back for the interview. We brought the kids with us for this trip as is was easier to travel as a family and not have me go back and forth. We have a 4, 2 and 8 month old so one trip was bad enough Ha !!

Sorry we will not get a chance to meet but good luck- I'm sure it will all go smoothly.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

HI all,

Just wanted to see how up to date all this information is. My Husband (USC) and I will have been married for 2 years this October, which is when Chris is meant to receive Permanent residency in Australia. As our end goal is to live in the USA we are looking to make our move in the Summer of next year. With this in mind we are trying to work out when the best time is to file for my Immigration Visa/Green Card. As far as I am aware the process from application - approval takes about 8 weeks and the the entry permit is valid for 6 months, is this correct? Would starting the process in Feb for a June/July move make the best sense?

Any help would be wonderful, our Visa Journey has truly been enough hell already :)

Thanks,

Mara

06-18-2006 Met online in WoW

04-25-2007 Admitted that we had feelings for each other started talking on skype everyday!

10-12-2007 Met in US in person for the first time, love at first sight lol, 2 perfect months together.

06-21-2008 Engaged

08-16-2008 Package finally put together and posted to Vermont! Let the real games begin.

08-21-2008 Delieved, least thats what Fedex told us....

08-27-2008 Check Cashed *dances* come on NOA1!!!!!

08-29-2008 NOA1

10-27-2008 RFE

11-10-2008 RFE returned

03-01-2009 Confirmed Case lost by USCIS

04-03-2009 Refiled K1 Visa application complete with expedite due to USCIS error.

05-14-2009 K1 package once again has vanished....

06-08-2009 Hired lawyer to proceed with Appeal process.

06-26-2009 Paperwork Fedex'ed to lawyer

07-02-2009 Lawyer submitted our suit to court

07-17-2009 Court day 2: Success, must respond by 21st August. - No result ever came from this.

10/06/2009 Withdrew K1 petition

10/10/2009 Married

10/24/2009 CR1 packet completed and posted

10/26/2009 Packet arrived at Chicago - And Submitted our Aussie application

11/04/2009 Application of CR1 returned - was rejected because of a "blurry zip code" we didn't bother to re-apply given that Chris had lost his job

04/05/2010 Australian application still pending

September 2010 - Chris arrived in Australia on Temporary Visa.

10/10/2011 - 2 year wedding anniversary - Chris to be granted Australian Permanent Residency

Summer 2012 - Planned immigration to USA.

*We have visited each other 8 times since 2007*

Timeline

Any chance you can apply before August 15th of this year ? DCF filing will end in August ,only countries with local USCIS offices can do DCF. Check out http://www.uscis.gov...00045f3d6a1RCRD. Otherwise the processing will be done through chicago as Australia does not have a local office. If you start the process now you can 'take the time' to slow it down a bit perhaps 3-4 months and then have 6 months to 'activate' the visa.

There have been a lot of chatter on thirds forms about DCF ending. Perhaps a read through can help you decide.

Timeline

Hmm I guess we could apply earlier how would be go getting the entry date extended so that we can enter next June/July though? I really don't want to do the process through USCIS they have already totally screwed us once, I'm not sure my mind is mentally prepared for it again....

04-25-2007 Admitted that we had feelings for each other started talking on skype everyday!

10-12-2007 Met in US in person for the first time, love at first sight lol, 2 perfect months together.

06-21-2008 Engaged

08-16-2008 Package finally put together and posted to Vermont! Let the real games begin.

08-29-2008 NOA1

10-27-2008 RFE

11-10-2008 RFE returned

04-03-2009 Refiled K1 Visa application complete with expedite due to USCIS error.

07-17-2009 Court day 2: Success, must respond by 21st August. - No result ever came from this.

10/10/2009 Married

11/04/2009 Application of CR1 returned - was rejected because of a "blurry zip code" we didn't bother to re-apply given that Chris had lost his job

10/10/2011 - 2 year wedding anniversary - Chris to be granted Australian Permanent Residency

Timeline

Hmm I guess we could apply earlier how would be go getting the entry date extended so that we can enter next June/July though? I really don't want to do the process through USCIS they have already totally screwed us once, I'm not sure my mind is mentally prepared for it again....

Well you really can't dictate the time frame that you want the visa to be activated. I guess one thing you can do is wait until August to apply. Take 4 months to gather all your documents ,, police reports etc.(which is very reasonable) And submit the request for interview at the latest date possible,Perhaps December. Then when approved you have 6 months to activate and that will put you at June. I mean I don't think it would be a problem ton activate the visa and then go back to OZ for 4 weeks to pack and move and do 'relocating things'.

Also, I found the Sydney consulate to be extremely helpful and overly nice. If you really don't know what to do pop them an email and state your concerns. I think the time frame you are talking about is doable as opposed to going through Chicago.

Timeline

Thank you for your advice and input flanags, we think this one might work, so we are going to have a chat with the Sydney embassy when we get home and see what the deal is. Thanks again.

06-21-2008 Engaged

08-29-2008 NOA1

10-27-2008 RFE

11-10-2008 RFE returned

10/10/2009 Married

• 5 weeks later...

Hi! I (we) are new to this forum and website. We are looking at moving back to USA in July/August next year for hubby to start a PhD course. My understanding is that DCF is much faster than sending everything to USA for processing, but that Sydney is no longer accepting I-130's as of August 14.

So if we have 12 months before we want to be in USA, should I still try and get my I-130 done in Sydney, then slow down the process (slowly collect rest of info for app after pack 3/4) or should I send everything to Chicago lockbox NOW and hope they do everything quickly? (Is there a timeline set by consulate that you have to send back information by for pack 3?)

August is a deadline he HAS to be in USA.

Ta!

Hi! I (we) are new to this forum and website. We are looking at moving back to USA in July/August next year for hubby to start a PhD course. My understanding is that DCF is much faster than sending everything to USA for processing, but that Sydney is no longer accepting I-130's as of August 14.

So if we have 12 months before we want to be in USA, should I still try and get my I-130 done in Sydney, then slow down the process (slowly collect rest of info for app after pack 3/4) or should I send everything to Chicago lockbox NOW and hope they do everything quickly? (Is there a timeline set by consulate that you have to send back information by for pack 3?)

August is a deadline he HAS to be in USA.

Ta!

Hi,

Like Flanags says above it is possible to stretch the process out a fair way. I don't know of any official timeline but if you live close to Sydney I would definitely do it before the cut off date.

Good luck either way

John

• 3 weeks later...

Well we don't live close to sydney, but I was able to get reasonable air fares and filed my I-130 last week! Now we're waiting for it to be approved and my husband to get information on the packet 2.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

So I'm finding very little detail on the new i-130 time frames for people who lodge their application after August 15th.

My finance and I both live in Australia, I'm American and she's English. We're both on our own 457 working visa's here and plan to relocate to the U.S. in the next 6-12 months. Our issue is that if I get offered a job I may have to move quickly or if my current contract is ended then I may have to leave Australia within 30 days.

Does anyone think this would be enough reason for DCF? I just don't want my finance to have to stay in Australia or go back to the U.K. for 6-8 months. I make 80% of the the income and it would be hard for her to stay in OZ without me. That said she does have her own 457 visa and is not tied to mine.

We're planning to get married here in OZ next month. Any reason we should hold off? It seems like if we are married and could get DCF that would allow the quickest path. But from what I read here the second quickest method is to go the K1 route and get married in the U.S.

We would like to have everything tee'd up so that If and when I get a job offer back in the U.S. we can make a quick move.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Country: Switzerland
Timeline

I am a USC and applied for DCF in Switzerland on 8/3/11. The I-130 was rejected because DCF was ending in 12 days:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=2b2a3e70369ff210VgnVCM100000082ca60aRCRD&vgnextchannel=68439c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

I would suggest the 129F K1 route to avoid being separated.

So I'm finding very little detail on the new i-130 time frames for people who lodge their application after August 15th.

My finance and I both live in Australia, I'm American and she's English. We're both on our own 457 working visa's here and plan to relocate to the U.S. in the next 6-12 months. Our issue is that if I get offered a job I may have to move quickly or if my current contract is ended then I may have to leave Australia within 30 days.

Does anyone think this would be enough reason for DCF? I just don't want my finance to have to stay in Australia or go back to the U.K. for 6-8 months. I make 80% of the the income and it would be hard for her to stay in OZ without me. That said she does have her own 457 visa and is not tied to mine.

We're planning to get married here in OZ next month. Any reason we should hold off? It seems like if we are married and could get DCF that would allow the quickest path. But from what I read here the second quickest method is to go the K1 route and get married in the U.S.

We would like to have everything tee'd up so that If and when I get a job offer back in the U.S. we can make a quick move.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...
Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I'm just figuring this all out!

I'm American and my husband is Australian. We've been married for four years and have a nine month old little boy. We've been living in Sydney since March 2008, before we were married, as it was easier to live and work here at the time. I'm also now an Australian citizen. We're planning on moving back to the States by the end of 2013, so I decided I would start the process of my husband's visa soon, in case we ran into any speed bumps. Well, basically, I've just been confusing myself and am now completely worried at the prospect of getting this visa.

My main issue is with the affidavit of support. I haven't worked in nearly a year because of the birth of my son. My husband makes enough to support us, so I wasn't planning on going back to work, even when we move back to the States, because I'm pretty sure he'll be able to find a job. So, I have no income to report. We do have almost $30 grand in savings and my dad owns a business and would gladly act as our joint sponsor, so I think that may be okay? If anyone has come up against a similar situation, I'd love to hear how you dealt with it.

My big area of concern is the issue of domicile. As I said, I've lived in Sydney for almost five years, and wasn't planning on getting a job of my own when we move to the US. I also would rather not have to live there for a period of time without my husband, if I can help it. I worked for my Dad before I moved and could probably have some kind of job with him, at least just for the sake of the affidavit. But how long would I have to do that for it to be considered legitimate? As I said, I don't think my husband will have too much of a problem finding a job, and if he does, I know we'll be able to stay/work with my dad for a bit. But I just don't know how to go about the process of proving my domicile without leaving my husband alone in Sydney for a period of several months.

Has anyone else dealt with this kind of situation? Am I misunderstanding something and hopefully it's all less complicated than I'm imagining? Any thoughts or assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!

Cheers,

Ashley

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.