75 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

I feel you pain having to get a birth certificate from the US. I really hope they can expedite the process for you. Very odd however - didn't you need to submit your birth Certificate when filing the I 130 ??? I know I had to. good luck !!! .

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Timeline

I feel you pain having to get a birth certificate from the US. I really hope they can expedite the process for you. Very odd however - didn't you need to submit your birth Certificate when filing the I 130 ??? I know I had to. good luck !!! .

No, I only had to provide a copy (not even the original!) of my Certificate of Naturalization, which was easy.

John,

I emailed the consulate at 11am to request an appointment to file my I130 and received a reply 2 hrs later with an appointment date.

My appointment date was in 10 days later. I 'think' they only make appointments for Thursdays.

My appointment was a 10am on April 28th, and I was out of the Consulate by 10:30. The 30mins also including requesting a letter from consulate in order to get our Hong Kong police clearance started. They gave me a hard copy of my exact Packet 3 letter. The Consulate was overly nice and very accommodating.

After getting clearance from The Adam Walsh name check I received Packet 3 via Email on May 9th. (so basically 10 days after the Submission of the I 130)

We actually have everything to submit back to them and schedule an interview EXCEPT the Hong Kong police clearance. In the past weeks we went ahead and got the medical and Australian police check done. Both we have in hand already.

So if you get everything in order ahead of time you may get really lucky and have an interview scheduled within 6 weeks after the I130 submission.

I hope that helps a bit. Good luck !!!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, It gives me a heads up to be ready to go !!!

good luck with the rest of your application !!!

Thanks Again

John

johnnyandi - Congrats on starting the process! We filed via Melbourne, who sent our stuff to Sydney for processing. They gave us an initial appointment scheduled for three weeks after I emailed them (the 20th of the month, which is apparently when they do all their I-130s). I know Sydney works slightly differently and may be quicker for you.

flanags - yup, you're right. I posted above...i hadn't read everything carefully. I now have to get my Indian birth certificate shipped over from the USA. Argh!

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, good luck with your rest of your journey !!!

John

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, It gives me a heads up to be ready to go !!!

good luck with the rest of your application !!!

Thanks Again

John

I forgot to ask, did you guys have to pay the fee before the initial appointment to lodge your I-130 or did you supply them with a cheque/money order on the day? I read somewhere that it had to be prepaid.

Cheers,

John

Edited by johnnyandi

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

I forgot to ask, did you guys have to pay the fee before the initial appointment to lodge your I-130 or did you supply them with a cheque/money order on the day? I read somewhere that it had to be prepaid.

Cheers,

John

Hi johnnyandi,

I had my I-130 interview in Sydney on Thursday and paid with a credit card there. It was $420 (and they do take American Express) :-)

- Jollyred

Hi johnnyandi,

I had my I-130 interview in Sydney on Thursday and paid with a credit card there. It was $420 (and they do take American Express) :-)

- Jollyred

Hi Jollyred,

Thanks for the heads up, this will save me chasing up a USD bank check.

Cheers & good luck,

John

Timeline

Same as the above post - yes you need to pay at the interview - they make you pay first. Your paperwork will be checked to make sure you have everything in order then you are directed to another window to pay. Once you have paid the fee you then have to show the receipt to the initial officer checking the paper work and then you wait for the interview. They will take all credit cards.

• 3 weeks later...
Timeline

Has anyone gotten their interview date for Sydney yet?

No interview yet. I emailed them a few days ago and they said they marked our 'request for interview' documents as being received on May 23 and they are currently working on documents received on May 19. I know our documents were received on may 20th as that's when my mail was signed and derived however it may not have been entered into the system until the 23rd.

When did you send in your request for interview documents ?

Timeline

Thanks flanags, and congrats on getting an appointment!

We sent in our documents on 1 June, so they should have received them on 2 June (and hopefully processed them by 3 June). It looks like it took them 17 days to process your documents, so hopefully we'll hear from them on June 19 or so.

Timeline

Would you believe we had to request a rescheduled date, Unforuntaley we had to travel to New York to attend two funerals - very sad. maybe they will give you our slot. We can only hope we get the next Tuesday. ( they only do interviews on Tuesdays)

Timeline

Would you believe we had to request a rescheduled date, Unforuntaley we had to travel to New York to attend two funerals - very sad. maybe they will give you our slot. We can only hope we get the next Tuesday. ( they only do interviews on Tuesdays)

That's terrible. I'm sorry for your losses, and I hope the funerals are OK. I'm sure they will give you a date close by.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.