sereia

common names causing petition to take a long time?!

31 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Morocco
Timeline

so i'm reading and reading about people being put on more security checks/ap (i think thats what its called) likely because their spouse/fiance has a very common name. does anyone know if abdelilah is an extremely common name in morocco? i have absolutely no idea. of course there's the last name to consider but i won't post it here. lol ;)

what other names are extremely common? for future purposes of others who might read this topic...

"It's far better to be alone than wish you were." - Ann Landers

world-map.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Country: Pakistan
Timeline
I think Mohammed is the most common. Those checks seem to take a while.

Ahmed as well

***I-130***

2006-12-14 I-130 Sent to Vermont Service Center

2007-01-12 I-130 NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***I-129F (new form)***

2007-01-31 I-129F Sent to Chicago

2007-02-07 I-129F NOA1

2007-04-06 Approved!

***US Embassy Islamabad***

2007-04-25 Packet Received by my wife

2007-05-15 Medical Exam

2007-05-29 Interview Approved!

2007-05-29 AP starts

2007-11-01 Wife got call to pickup her Visa from American Express

2008-01-12 POE at JFK

***I-485***

2008-11-10 I-485 Sent to Chicago

2008-11-20 Payment accepted

2008-11-22 I-485 NOA1

2009-01-09 Biometric

2009-03-08 Interview Letter

2009-04-08 Interview Approved!

2009-04-08 Welcome letter received

2009-04-18 Green Card Received

USA_b.gifpakistan_b.gif

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and anything posted is just my own opinion

The question is not if the name is common in Morocco, but globally. Any name that is a common Arabic classical name will get many matches. Your fiance's name is a common name found in the Muslim world for sure but its not the name that will get long security checks. Its the total name and all transliterations of the whole name.

If youe fiance has a purely moroccan last name - berber origin rather than Arabic, it should not cause to many problems unless it is similar to the Moroccns that have been identified byt the US as terrorists/criminals or possible terrorists/criminals. The list of names do include many people who are only suspects.

the same could happen if his name was Juan Martinez or some other common name globally. As far as Moroccan AP goes, it rarely extends beyond 6 months for most.

I don't know how common Abdelilah is itself, but I wonder if all of the names that start with Abdel would be checked, causing it to take longer, not sure.

Yes Jenn, the name checks would include Abdel as a form of Abdeliah but the lat name is also part of this check too.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I don't know how common Abdelilah is itself, but I wonder if all of the names that start with Abdel would be checked, causing it to take longer, not sure.

Yes Jenn, the name checks would include Abdel as a form of Abdeliah but the lat name is also part of this check too.

Do you know if they check first names and last names separately or together? If they only run them together, then having a common first name could be mitigated by an uncommon last name. But if they run them separately, then a Mohammed is going to take a long time regardless of how common the last name is.

Timeline

his last name is not a moroccan sounding name. it could be anything when you hear it...... but whether its a popular last name or not, i do not know. i've never met anyone with that name. how can i find out?! i checked a name statistic website but it only comes up with results for the US (and it says 2500 people in the us have his last name) lol

Edited by abdounjen

world-map.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
his last name is not a moroccan sounding name. it could be anything when you hear it...... but whether its a popular last name or not, i do not know. i've never met anyone with that name. how can i find out?!

I don't know how accurate a method this is, but I just did a google search on Wadi's last name when we were going through the process to see how common it was and to get an idea on whether the checks might take longer. The only things that came up were some rosters of his brother's soccer league, so apparently not that common! :lol:

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
so i'm reading and reading about people being put on more security checks/ap (i think thats what its called) likely because their spouse/fiance has a very common name. does anyone know if abdelilah is an extremely common name in morocco? i have absolutely no idea. of course there's the last name to consider but i won't post it here. lol ;)

what other names are extremely common? for future purposes of others who might read this topic...

Ali, Hamid are common first names maybe last name too. I do feel that the reason my fiance got his AP completed in only two days was because his last name is not common at all. Also, he had prior visas.

Timeline

well i did a google of his full name...and his first name came up in a lot (including one terrorist thing in marrakech. grrrrrrrrreat) but his last name never came up attached to a person.

i hope this is a good sign!

world-map.jpg

A first name match only search is not likely to occur. Think of all the Davids, Johns, Michaels tat would be slowed down in the other consulates. The whole name and various versions of the that are triggered by the search.

Abdeliah is alsoa last name. Infact any Muslim Quranic name could be used anywhere where there are large numbers of muslims. We know there ar large numbers of muslims on the government lists.

Maybe common is not the best term here, but names that are likely to occur amoung many groups likely to be on that DOS list. I am sure there are many many John Blacks for example going through London, but how many John Blacks have comitted a crime or have been suspected of some crime? For those of us with Muslim SOs the commonality is those names that are found often among this group. The most common names are those with roots in the Quran or classical arabic.

ETA: Jen - your fiance should be able to tell you if his name meets this.

Edited by mybackpages

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I think Mohammed is the most common. Those checks seem to take a while.

yiKES My husband has the Twice in his name... :crying:

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

what are common possible last names that get people stuk in this secuirty name check hell?

The list would be way too long to start listing here. and it would be speculation at best. My son has a name hit everytime he tries to fly. Upon check in the airline has to pull him aside and call DOS. There are thousands of names from all over the world- many of these names are of people who are only suspected of something.

erfoud44.jpg

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.