Zurdo

Chance of encountering ICE at Airport when traveling for interview

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

We are traveling  from US to Ciudad Juarez for interview and are afraid of ICE at the airport. Are there immigration check points when you travel to let's say Monterrey Mexico. We where thinking going to El Paso from Atlanta and then just get a cab to cross into Juarez but stepping at 2 airports twice creeps us out. So we just want to fly to Monterrey,MX  and from there to CD Juarez ,MX. All of you who have file for a 601a waiver or know of someone that has been in the US but has had to travel to have their interview abroad please advice. 

Timeline

It wasn't my case, but when I went to CD Juarez I met a guy that was followed and stopped by an immigration officer when he landed in El Paso, TX. He said he gave his appointment papers to the officer and the officer told him that if it wasn't because he was already leaving the country he would've arrested him on the spot. But he made it to his appointment and his visa was accepted. I'd say that it is very possible that you are stopped but if you have all your documents with you to show them on the spot and not on your checked baggage I think you may be okay. 

Timeline

Oh and let me add that I took two flights from Salt Lake City, UT to somewhere in Arizona, and to El Paso, TX didn't have a problem at all. 

Edited by laligaggin

Timeline
10 minutes ago, laligaggin said:

Oh and let me add that I took two flights from Salt Lake City, UT to somewhere in Arizona, and to El Paso, TX didn't have a problem at all. 

Thank you for sharing. Did you have to go through any line where they ask for your ID or passport ? How long ago did you go ?

Timeline

I went this past November (2016). I see that you've posted a lot of questions and I know you are super worried, I was super nervous also. If you have a Mexican passport, which I'm guessing you do since that's part of the application process, then you go to the airport and you give your passport to get your ticket for boarding, I got two since I was going to have to transfer, and you give your passport and your boarding pass to the guy that checks them, he scans only your passport if I'm not mistaken, and then you go through security to check your handbag, make sure you don't have any harmful items, etc. and if it all clears you are in the airport. You go to your terminal and wait for your flight, once you are ready to board the plane you don't need anything else but your boarding pass. If you have to transport at a different airport which was my case, you get out of the plane, and that's it, theres no other checkpoint. I didn't bring luggage with me, just a carry on so I got out of the plane and on to the next flight. If you have luggage you don't pick it up until your final destination. I had no idea where I was supposed to be for the second flight I asked someone who worked there to help me out. I went to the terminal, asked if I was in the right place and I waited. And once again I handed my boarding pass to get on the plain and that was it. Since I didn't leave the airport I didn't have a need to show my passport again. If you remain within the airport you don't have another "ID check" unless you are stopped by an immigration officer in which case I would recommend you carry your documents on you to show that you are leaving. I honestly don't see them "deporting" you since you are already leaving. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, laligaggin said:

I went this past November (2016). I see that you've posted a lot of questions and I know you are super worried, I was super nervous also. If you have a Mexican passport, which I'm guessing you do since that's part of the application process, then you go to the airport and you give your passport to get your ticket for boarding, I got two since I was going to have to transfer, and you give your passport and your boarding pass to the guy that checks them, he scans only your passport if I'm not mistaken, and then you go through security to check your handbag, make sure you don't have any harmful items, etc. and if it all clears you are in the airport. You go to your terminal and wait for your flight, once you are ready to board the plane you don't need anything else but your boarding pass. If you have to transport at a different airport which was my case, you get out of the plane, and that's it, theres no other checkpoint. I didn't bring luggage with me, just a carry on so I got out of the plane and on to the next flight. If you have luggage you don't pick it up until your final destination. I had no idea where I was supposed to be for the second flight I asked someone who worked there to help me out. I went to the terminal, asked if I was in the right place and I waited. And once again I handed my boarding pass to get on the plain and that was it. Since I didn't leave the airport I didn't have a need to show my passport again. If you remain within the airport you don't have another "ID check" unless you are stopped by an immigration officer in which case I would recommend you carry your documents on you to show that you are leaving. I honestly don't see them "deporting" you since you are already leaving. 

Thank you for this very stress relieving information. Can you please share your hotel experience and what cell carrier you used down there that worked to call after the medical to get picked up by cab. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

While the chance of running into ICE is small, the chance is there. ICE do have checks at the airport sometimes. I remember reading a few times about ICE checking everyone coming off a plane here in the US. 

When you fly, you have to show your ID at security. "Back in the day", when I flew on my Swedish passport within the US to visit my husband, it did happen a few times that the CBP officer at security would flip through my passport and look for my US entry stamp. One time CBP couldn't find it and started asking me a whole bunch of questions, before I was able to flip through my passport and show him my stamp and that I had entered the US legally and was within the timeframe allowed on the VWP. I have seen this happen to others with foreign passports too, including one guy who was taken away. While it's rare, it does happen.

Make sure to bring your interview letter with you as proof that you're now going through legal channels to change your status and hopefully you'll be fine. 

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

Timeline

I stayed in the Hotel Conquistador. I had a great experience there. It was really clean, had free breakfast and had a washer and dryer service, it also had a little pool but it was cold and windy when I went so I'm sad I didn't get to take advantage of that. They have cabs that will take you to all your appointments for free. The taxi drivers are super nice. Everything was great except that you have to walk across this big avenue that was a bit confusing of when you can walk across it, so that was a death trap but I managed to do it time and time again. Other than that I have nothing but good reviews for them. 

I have T-Mobile and I'm under my dad's plan and I was able to use my phone from Mexico like I did in the US. So that was a big help. The hotel has wifi so I was able to get internet without needed to use my roaming (which is unlimited and included in my plan anyways). But if you don't have a phone available to you, nothing is far from the appointments that you need. I honestly didn't feel like I left the US while I was there, everything is so Americanized, the signs are in English, many workers know English, and many of the restaurants around the area are American, heck theres a Starbucks across the street from the consulate. The only thing that changed was the dollar to pesos. :) 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, mallafri76 said:

While the chance of running into ICE is small, the chance is there. ICE do have checks at the airport sometimes. I remember reading a few times about ICE checking everyone coming off a plane here in the US. 

When you fly, you have to show your ID at security. "Back in the day", when I flew on my Swedish passport within the US to visit my husband, it did happen a few times that the CBP officer at security would flip through my passport and look for my US entry stamp. One time CBP couldn't find it and started asking me a whole bunch of questions, before I was able to flip through my passport and show him my stamp and that I had entered the US legally and was within the timeframe allowed on the VWP. I have seen this happen to others with foreign passports too, including one guy who was taken away. While it's rare, it does happen.

Make sure to bring your interview letter with you as proof that you're now going through legal channels to change your status and hopefully you'll be fine. 

Thank you so much for your advice. We will make sure to have our immigration paper just in case 

Timeline
12 minutes ago, laligaggin said:

I stayed in the Hotel Conquistador. I had a great experience there. It was really clean, had free breakfast and had a washer and dryer service, it also had a little pool but it was cold and windy when I went so I'm sad I didn't get to take advantage of that. They have cabs that will take you to all your appointments for free. The taxi drivers are super nice. Everything was great except that you have to walk across this big avenue that was a bit confusing of when you can walk across it, so that was a death trap but I managed to do it time and time again. Other than that I have nothing but good reviews for them. 

I have T-Mobile and I'm under my dad's plan and I was able to use my phone from Mexico like I did in the US. So that was a big help. The hotel has wifi so I was able to get internet without needed to use my roaming (which is unlimited and included in my plan anyways). But if you don't have a phone available to you, nothing is far from the appointments that you need. I honestly didn't feel like I left the US while I was there, everything is so Americanized, the signs are in English, many workers know English, and many of the restaurants around the area are American, heck theres a Starbucks across the street from the consulate. The only thing that changed was the dollar to pesos. :) 

I will definitely get t-Mobil before we leave. Thank you for all good advice. We are still a good 20days away from our departure but want to make sure all is covered. 

Filed: Other Timeline

Not going through two airports is best,

HS agents are not in all airports everyday

I suggest if you have valid US ID to  check

in with that & just keep the passport at hand

in pocket or handbag. I have read here of

someone crossing at San Ysidro who was

was stopped by agents on his way to do

interview I cannot say what was the outcome

I guess you'll be fine

Timeline

Chance of ICE check on a domestic flight is low, I've never encountered one in any US domestic flight.  That doesn't mean it might not happen. However since you are doing things the legal way, you shouldn't have to worry a lot about it. 

About hotels, City Express is a decent hotel chain, it's 50 meters away from the consulate.  I live here in Juarez, in case you need anything.  

Good Luck.

Timeline
5 hours ago, Shiobhan said:

Not going through two airports is best,

HS agents are not in all airports everyday

I suggest if you have valid US ID to  check

in with that & just keep the passport at hand

in pocket or handbag. I have read here of

someone crossing at San Ysidro who was

was stopped by agents on his way to do

interview I cannot say what was the outcome

I guess you'll be fine

Thank you for your feed back. Yes I think it will just better to spend a little extra and fly to Monterrey or Mexico City and then Juarez.

Edited by Zurdo

Timeline
5 hours ago, fcl said:

Chance of ICE check on a domestic flight is low, I've never encountered one in any US domestic flight.  That doesn't mean it might not happen. However since you are doing things the legal way, you shouldn't have to worry a lot about it. 

About hotels, City Express is a decent hotel chain, it's 50 meters away from the consulate.  I live here in Juarez, in case you need anything.  

Good Luck.

Thank you for offering additional help I'll sure keep it in mind. I guess is not very commond for someone to get stopped on their way out but right now we are just worried about the most simple things. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.