Acij

Suggestions/Opinions, Nursing Job, etc

6 posts in this topic

Hello, everyone. I just have a few questions regarding a nurse job, or any other job for that matter. Here is my story:

I am from the Philippines. I came with a K1. I went to college in the Philippines and graduated ( Bachelor of Science in Nursing ). I never had my boards passed there so I'm not a registered nurse ( yet ). The questions are:

1. Is my education credited here in the US? 

2. I know I need to pass the boards here to be able to work as a nurse. Does anyone have any experience about going to a nursing school, or having their NCLEX passed, and how was it?

3. How much chance that ( if ever ) I can get a day-shift?

4. I heard about people who goes to school to be a Certified Nursing Assistant, do I, since I already went to college and finished BSN, still need to be a certified NA?

5. If so, what do I gotta do? How long do I go to school for?

6. Or do I just take my boards here and hope I pass and stay as a nurse?

Thank you for everyone's input.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You should contact the state Board of Nursing in your state for information regarding their educational requirements and licensing.  If you are required to take and pass the NCLEX, there are some excellent study guides on the market.  Also, there are very good on-line resources for continuing educational credit.

Note: I was in the military for more than 20 years.  However, the Registered Nursing program from which I graduated later was tougher than anything I experienced while serving in the military...lol.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

1. Not automatically. You will need to have your foreign education credentials validated. This is usually with a body such as CGFNS or similar. This will be necessary before you can schedule an NCLEX examination.
  2. I'm not certain what you're asking for here exactly. The NCLEX is not a simple exam, and the biggest hurdle will probably be (re-)learning some things that differ from what you were taught in your foreign classes. I highly suggest either a class or self study materials to prepare you. This is coming from somebody who is with a Filipino nurse who has been practicing for a decade.
  3. Depends where you work, but having a majority of day shifts is certainly possible. Sometimes you will probably be asked for other shifts as well.
  4. Yes. You also must be licensed to practice as a CNA. The US takes licensing of any healthcare practitioners quite seriously.
  5. It's not a matter of more school, per-se. It's the license you need. I suggest looking up the Board Of Nursing (BON) for the state you want to practice, and go from there. Both a CNA and RN may require certain minimum scores in the TOEFL or IELTS, based on state.
  6. You need to have your credentials validated either way. As stated above, I highly suggest using at least some self help guides to prepare for the NCLEX. The first time pass rate for internationally-taught students is around 36-43% each year, with the repeat testers at around 20-30% pass rate.
    https://www.ncsbn.org/Table_of_Pass_Rates_2017.pdf
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Just like you, my wife, Chinook, came to the US on a K-1 visa.  She applied to take the NCLEX through the state of Vermont, was approved to take the exam, passed the exam on her first try, and received a Vermont nursing license.  Then, she applied through the state of Washington where we live, to have her Vermont nursing license transferred to Washington.  Within about six weeks, Chinook had her Washington license and started looking for a job as a registered nurse.  A few months later, Chinook landed a job as a registered nurse at a private nursing home.

I agree with missleman.  Check out the web site of the state you live in.  It will have the information you need in order to apply  for the NCLEX.  The web site also should have information for foreign-trained nurses.  Keep in mind that states can have different requirements, and you can apply through any state regardless of which state you live in.  So, it may pay to shop around.  Some states may not require you to complete IELTS or TOEFL.  Some states may not require you to have passed your board in 'pinas.  However, most states will require that your clinical and classwork were concurrent.

Generally speaking, here is what's going to happen:

-- You will need to get your transcripts evaluated.  To do this, you will have your school send your sealed transcripts to one of the evaluation companies, for example, CGFNS (www.cgfns.org), ERES (www.eres.com), or IERF (www.ierfcom).

-- If your transcripts are in order, and your application is approved, the state board of nursing/nursing commission will have you register with Pearson Vue (www.pearsonvue.com), and then Pearson Vue will issue you an ATT (authorisation to test for the NCLEX).

I believe Washington State requires a six-week training course for a CNA.  You can work as a CNA while you study for the NCLEX.  Keep in mind that registered nurses get paid much much better than CNA's, and get much much better benefits.  Go for it!

The board of nursing is your best friend. Definitely call whatever board in the late you live in. It can be different for every state. Nclex is difficult but do able. Just took mine last August. I almost puked afterwards. And I don't think you would need the cna cert if you have gone through a nursing school. You could apply to jobs and put whatever experience you have on your resume. Including clinicals. It was very tough finding a job in my area as a new grad. Especially a day job. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.