MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
10 hours ago, msa1234 said:

Just got in the same boat as everyone here. Since I haven't been following this topic, I would be really grateful if someone can summarize for me some general trends such as if anybody got approval and ranges for time taken for approval since getting this questionnaire. Thanks once again and good luck to all.

When did you send in the ds5535? 

We are in AP for 3 months since submitting the ds5535.  We have had about 9 updates on CEAC.   Timeline seems to be about a year for many but we are praying hard that is not the case for us as we have already been waiting for 2 years.   

Timeline
1 minute ago, yousef5 said:

Yes it’s my wife she’s from banned countries 

Then yes you need a waiver.   I don't know much about them but there is a support group on here 

Someone there may be able to help you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

My lawyer told me that she can help me to do the waiver but she needs money. I don’t mind paying money if it help my wife to bring her here because it’s been 14 months after we sent the the questionnaire... if u guys think that will be helpful to do it then I’ll do it. Any suggestions 

4 hours ago, yousef5 said:

My lawyer told me that she can help me to do the waiver but she needs money. I don’t mind paying money if it help my wife to bring her here because it’s been 14 months after we sent the the questionnaire... if u guys think that will be helpful to do it then I’ll do it. Any suggestions 

It sounds like they are already reviewing you for a waiver, so I'm not sure that paying for a waiver package makes sense now. Does your attorney have other travel ban clients?

5 hours ago, Munazza said:

You need to go to their website and make the account.. Its not such difficult but you need to have good internet speed data in your cell as they don't give you the facility or you can make it at home too and then go there.. Just call them and seek information otherwise it's good too to do everything there.. After sending docs, call the embassy to make sure the delivery after the days you would be told by American Express. 

Oh okay.. thanks a lot for this. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Ron12345 said:

It sounds like they are already reviewing you for a waiver, so I'm not sure that paying for a waiver package makes sense now. Does your attorney have other travel ban clients?

No she doesn’t have other travel ban clients. But she told me that  she knows people who got their visa after they request the waiver.

Even I know people who came here after they requested the waiver.. I’m very confused 

5 hours ago, Munazza said:

You need to go to their website and make the account.. Its not such difficult but you need to have good internet speed data in your cell as they don't give you the facility or you can make it at home too and then go there.. Just call them and seek information otherwise it's good too to do everything there.. After sending docs, call the embassy to make sure the delivery after the days you would be told by American Express. 

I wanna ask one more question. As embassy sent me an email requesting updated medical and visa photos. Should I reply them back that I have received their email and will send my docs to them asap?

Timeline
16 hours ago, paki-guy said:

Hi,

AP ( due to DS-5535)  could take 12 to 24 months or longer. No one can expedite it. You just need to make sure if the embassy received your DS-5535 and there is only two ways you can verified it. 1. If your case updated right after sending them e-mail  with DS-5535 info. 2. If embassy replied you that they got it. Either one is fine.

My advice is go back  to your routine life and just keep praying.

Good luck

Thanks, case updated the same day as I sent my responses.

14 hours ago, Rosepetal3333 said:

Did you get the questionnaire?

Yes.

8 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

When did you send in the ds5535? 

We are in AP for 3 months since submitting the ds5535.  We have had about 9 updates on CEAC.   Timeline seems to be about a year for many but we are praying hard that is not the case for us as we have already been waiting for 2 years.   

We received the questionnaire email 15th of this month. Sent our responses yesterday (16th jan). Now I believe they'll ask for a 2nd medical when there is any progress. Is the medical valid for 6 months for everyone?  

Timeline

Our case updated again today (it's our second wedding anniversary) but I think its because I asked the Senator to inquire on my case and probably not an update by its self.  I'm still trying to remain hopeful.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Hi,

I have a friend who received the questions below after her interview and then a few months later got the ds-5535. It has been 9 months since her interview. Has any one else received these questions? I had never seen them before and they have a more education/career focus than the 5535. 

Dear ...........................,

Thank you for the information provided.

As a part of your administrative processing, you are requested to provide our office the following information:

1. Your name and any family members who will be traveling with you.

2.  Please provide the name of the port of entry at which you plan to enter the U.S. with your immigrant visa.

3. List your research and/or business interests and whether you intend to continue this line of research or business in the U.S.  If you do plan to continue, state how and where.(The street address(es), Web site address(es), phone numbers of, and points of contact at, the organizations, institutes, and/or companies the applicant intends to visit in the United States (applicants going to academic institutions or conferences should give the name of an academic contact, not the name of the foreign student advisor);

4.  Please list detailed descriptions of your proposed research or work plans in the U.S. If any, please include a statement of purpose of your travel to the U.S.

5.  List your entire employment background. (List the most recent employment first and include specific duties and responsibilities.)

6.  Please list your entire educational background, including dates attended, degrees received, projects worked on, names of professors you worked with, and any publications you wrote.

Please provide

- Complete list of publications of the applicant

- List of references in your country of birth or residence

7.  List all overseas travel you have made, most recent trip first.

8. Name who or which organization will be funding your travel to the United States. Please provide

-Letters of invitation from the United States sponsor;

-Letters of recommendation from a United States source or from abroad;

-Letters of support from the financial sponsor;

9. Export license number (or, if pending, an export license application number) covering the activity in the United States (if relevant and available)

10. Mother name, Father name, Date and place of birth.

You may send your message to the e-mail address Iranivyerevan@state.gov.  Your subject line must read “ivadminprocessing” (no space between letters).

Please also attach an electronic copy of your CV (and if your spouse is accompanying you, please provide your spouse’s résumé too) to your e-mail.

Sincerely,         

Consular Section       

Immigrant Visa Unit         

U.S. Embassy Yerevan 

American Ave, Yerevan 0082, Armenia

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
5 minutes ago, paki-guy said:

I think your case updated because they are working on 2018 cases. They have lots of pending old cases. Their cabinet is full with passports and they are trying to clean the storage room as much as possible so make some room for new cases. So if they get any info ( clearance) from DC ,  they are putting that info in files. As a result some people ( including my sister) on AP getting updates I think you are very close to ...........Printed.

Good luck

Interesting insight about storage space :).  I can only imagine all those passports for people waiting in AP over the course of long time. On the other hand US embassy in Islamabad is pretty huge so I guess they can create more storage space if they need to.

44 minutes ago, paki-guy said:

I think your case updated because they are working on 2018 cases. They have lots of pending old cases. Their cabinet is full with passports and they are trying to clean the storage room as much as possible so make some room for new cases. So if they get any info ( clearance) from DC ,  they are putting that info in files. As a result some people ( including my sister) on AP getting updates I think you are very close to ...........Printed.

Good luck

Its very hard to say what the updates mean. Some people are waiting for a year without an update.

4 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

Our case updated again today (it's our second wedding anniversary) but I think its because I asked the Senator to inquire on my case and probably not an update by its self.  I'm still trying to remain hopeful.  

Happy wedding Anniversary. Mine is going to be 3 years wedding Anniversary next month.. The date update is because of the Senator inquiry as i also got date update because of that. But still one hope or one good news give us hope too. I pray we all get good news soon.

Filed: FB-4 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, paki-guy said:

Agreed. But I know one thing for sure update means someone touch your file either physically or electronically. So therefore mostly people get updates on and off. While on the other hand some people may not even get a single update in years. But I knew someone who did not get any update in 2 years but finally got three updates  back to back and then Embassy asked  him to re-do medical / fingerprint. That person is already in USA. My point is if you get updates on your case it is nice. But if you don't get updates it is still okay. AP will over one day if you are not a bad person.

On the topic of updates. My sister's case got updated before interview. Is it normal ?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline
3 hours ago, paki-guy said:

She is in AP for two different reasons.

1. Her education / employment background. This is common questionnaire especially people who are doing some kind of research education e.g. PhD. That's why they sent her this type of questionnaire on the day of interview. This issue has been resolved in three months.

2. After three months their is another issue came up. So they sent her Ds-5535. Tell her she will get visa in 12 months. Until then she can go back to her routine life.

Good luck

3 hours ago, paki-guy said:

Thanks so much for the quick reply! So do you think she would get her visa 12 months from the interview or 12 months from ds-5535? 

Have you seen other cases like this? Did anyone who got both sets of questions eventually get their visas? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.