MXcompadre

Form DS-5535 'SUPPLEMENTAL QUESTIONS FOR VISA APPLICANTS'

3,894 posts in this topic

Hello. I am an American citizen. I married my husband 6 years ago. We applied for an immigrant visa. He had his interview in August. They asked for proof of domicile so he had to come home and we sent it. Then they gave us this word document that says supplental questions for visa applicants. It had questions about his recent addresses which we already provided sibling names and birthdays and social media accounts. It didn’t even have an official seal or stamp or anything on it. Sent it. Didn’t hear back. Then I emailed and said the case is under administrative processing.  I can’t believe this is happening. Any ideas and help please 

34 minutes ago, Hahz said:

Hello. I am an American citizen. I married my husband 6 years ago. We applied for an immigrant visa. He had his interview in August. They asked for proof of domicile so he had to come home and we sent it. Then they gave us this word document that says supplental questions for visa applicants. It had questions about his recent addresses which we already provided sibling names and birthdays and social media accounts. It didn’t even have an official seal or stamp or anything on it. Sent it. Didn’t hear back. Then I emailed and said the case is under administrative processing.  I can’t believe this is happening. Any ideas and help please 

Hahz where was your husband interviewed 

Because I was interviewed here in seoul south korea and they gave me same piece of paper which I had to fill in my siblings names and dates of births,I scanned it and mail it back to them. Aside that nothing else was requested of me.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

How often do you see  updates on CEAC?  Is it common to get consistent updates after the ds5535?  Do they stop at some point?  Just curious...we submitted the questionnaire on the 30th and it has updated everyday since than.  Not sure if its a good sign or typical.

5 minutes ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

How often do you see  updates on CEAC?  Is it common to get consistent updates after the ds5535?  Do they stop at some point?  Just curious...we submitted the questionnaire on the 30th and it has updated everyday since than.  Not sure if its a good sign or typical.

Wow really?? That usually means your case is being touched. 30th of which month? 

Timeline
Just now, Sarac9 said:

Wow really?? That usually means your case is being touched. 30th of which month? 

October and we have had updates 31st, then Nov. 1st and 2nd.

We also had updates before they sent the questionnaire but I figure  it was just because they were putting together the email with the questions.

Just now, Ahmed&Freda said:

October and we have had updates 31st, then Nov. 1st and 2nd.

We also had updates before they sent the questionnaire but I figure  it was just because they were putting together the email with the questions.

Oh so yours was pretty recent. Yea, that happened with us too. We had two updates after submitting. Then it stopped. Last update was a month ago. 

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Sarac9 said:

Oh so yours was pretty recent. Yea, that happened with us too. We had two updates after submitting. Then it stopped. Last update was a month ago. 

So at least they were working on the case after the questionnaire then most likely got hung up on something and/or waiting to hear back from another source.    

I thought i saw somewhere a spreadsheet is someone updating one?  I'm curious to see if type of visa, if petitioner is  US born, beneficiary m/f or PD makes any difference.   Have you seen any patterns?

I honestly would have been OK with going through this process last year but the fact that my case was returned to USCIS and reaffirmed and now they decide to add extra scrutiny is extremely frustrating.  

1 hour ago, Labris said:

Hahz where was your husband interviewed 

Because I was interviewed here in seoul south korea and they gave me same piece of paper which I had to fill in my siblings names and dates of births,I scanned it and mail it back to them. Aside that nothing else was requested of me.

Cairo. Yes same for us. Even there is no update or anything 

18 minutes ago, Hahz said:

Cairo. Yes same for us. Even there is no update or anything 

It means it's been more than 60 days and yet no updates.  You should contact the embassy to findout why it's taking too long. Mine has been 45 days now but it was updated 3 times on October.  10th , 22nd and 24th. Let's hope for the best.

Edited by Labris

6 minutes ago, Labris said:

It means it's been more than 60 days and yet no updates.  You should contact the embassy to findout why it's taking too long. Mine has been 45 days now but it was updated 3 times on October.  10th , 22nd and 24th. Let's hope for the best.

There has literally been no updates. It just says that it’s at the embassy. Hasn’t been changed to anything. It hasn’t been 60 days yet. We sent the questionnaire sept 20 something can’t rmeber. Plus they said they can’t tell me how long it takes because each case is different. How about you? I also spoke to a lawyer they said no one can get involved once it’s at the embassy. I don’t get why this is happening. 

Also what do u mean updates? I haven’t gotten anything. Where does it show. If it’s on ceac nothing has changed since the case arrived at the embassy 

Edited by Hahz

1 minute ago, Hahz said:

There has literally been no updates. It just says that it’s at the embassy. Hasn’t been changed to anything. It hasn’t been 60 days yet. We sent the questionnaire sept 20 something can’t rmeber. Plus they said they can’t tell me how long it takes because each case is different. How about you? I also spoke to a lawyer they said no one can get involved once it’s at the embassy. I don’t get why this is happening. 

Also what do u mean updates? I haven’t gotten anything. Where does it show. If it’s on ceac nothing has changed since the case arrived at the embassy 

Actually the updates on th 10th was done base on US time while the other two updates where on korean time at around 9:15 AM. I guess it's not just stuck up at the embassy because they do carryout some of the check back in the states . Check on the blue slip you where given there must be an email through which you can reach out to the embassy. once it's 60days you mail them. My friend and I got updates same day and same time frame here in korea because I'm the one tracking both our cases. So his happens to have been 65 days today. He somehow mailed them 3 days ago and got a mail from them today saying they just checked his case and it was going through current administrative processing, after which it's done an officer will contact him with more information. 

6 minutes ago, Labris said:

Actually the updates on th 10th was done base on US time while the other two updates where on korean time at around 9:15 AM. I guess it's not just stuck up at the embassy because they do carryout some of the check back in the states . Check on the blue slip you where given there must be an email through which you can reach out to the embassy. once it's 60days you mail them. My friend and I got updates same day and same time frame here in korea because I'm the one tracking both our cases. So his happens to have been 65 days today. He somehow mailed them 3 days ago and got a mail from them today saying they just checked his case and it was going through current administrative processing, after which it's done an officer will contact him with more information. 

He didn’t even get a blue slip. The only thing we got that said AP, other, additional documents and that’s what they gave him 

i did email mail but they said AP

4 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

We have had zero updates via the CEAC portal for 13 months.

You can see the spreadsheet in my signature.

Edited by ibnfawzi

I am a naturalized US citizen waiting my Moroccan fiancee's i129f visa. Applied Feb 2017. She has been in AP since Oct 2017

*UPDATE* Fiancee received i-129f visa and returned passport Nov 2018. 411 days of AP.

Please feel free to add your information to the spreadsheet below. It may help us with extra data points for those under extreme vetting. Please do not add personal info as the document is public. Do not edit any other info except your own. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agwbg4go7ID6wnoNg-mN2qOI_ErRQN1lO1BUzOUKkTs/edit?usp=sharing

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.