Pmenon

I-751 RFE ... sigh

33 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
7 hours ago, Pmenon said:

Dear Sukie, thank you so much for your response - it helped put me and my mind at ease as right now I'm a bit of a mess. I had a few follow up questions:

1) Yes, the two letters they submitted had basically the same content that I suppose was not specific enough. I am going to get some of my friends that have known my spouse and I to submit more specific affidavits of support - I am thinking three in total. Any leads on what an example of a good affidavit letter? 

I cannot write a letter, but here are questions they can use to create their letters...each letter needs to be individually written - no boilerplate.

a.  Describe yourself and your relationship to the petitioner.

b.  When, how and where did you first meet the petitioner?

c.  Talk about what you know about the beginning of the relationship of the petitioner and the USC.

d.  How often do you interact with the petitioner and the USC?

e.  What can you, the affidavit writer, describe about the future of this couple?  (maybe talk about the new baby coming and how excited you are).

2) I earn much more than my wife on an annual basis. We started a joint account with the intent of using it a lot more than we actually have - I end up paying for most vacations and monthly TV/internet bills, and we split the monthly cell phone bill. We pick up groceries on a revolving basis - she'll do one trip, and I'll get the next one. How do we explain and demonstrate all of this?

You write it out on a sheet of paper - just like you have done it here.  Show charge records or bank debit card records that show you picking up groceries on xx/xx/xx and she picked them up on xx/xx/xx.  Hopefully the records can show your local grocery store.  Does your cell phone bill show both names and numbers?  We sent in our cell phone bills.

7 hours ago, Pmenon said:

4) i think i only redacted the actual contribution amounts and the cost of plans that were listed on the benefit sheet - didn't think USCIS needed to see that. I believe the summary sheet showed the name of my wife who was covered under my plan, so I don't know what more i could have done...

Send the same benefit sheet (do you have multiple years?  we send in three years' worth) without any redaction.  The government can get that info anyway.  Do you have any claims to show?  Send in claims from all three years.  Surely if you are pregnant, there are medical claims!

5) We tend to shred our boarding passes immediately after we return from our trips. I'll have to see if I can get them from the airline, but am not optimistic. Will check about hotels as well. In the event that I can't get either of these, what proof can I show about the numerous trips we've taken over the last 3 years?

You are pretty hosed on this because you do not have your boarding passes.  Save all of them from now on.  You can use them for the N-400 submission.  The only thing I can think of are pictures that have obvious landmarks - NYC skyline, Eiffel Tower, London Bridge, the Space Needle, Shanghai Pudong, that famous beautiful old gate in Seoul - the name of which I cannot remember) for example, with you both in them, with date stamps.  We sent in pictures from The Circle Line Ferry in NYC and the CN Tower in Toronto - date stamped.  We also had my S-I-L and B-I-L in the pictures.  Also, if you travelled with any of the people who are doing affidavits, they can mention it and you can cross-reference the pictures to them.

6) For the first year after we got married, we lived together in Seoul, South Korea. I was living in a corporate paid apartment and so only my name was on the lease and they wouldn't allow a second name on there. After that, we moved to NYC and lived in my wife's family's apartment for 6 months before moving out to Seattle in May 2015, where I had our names on a lease (submitted to USCIS) until February 2016. In February 2016 we moved back to NYC and have been living with family since. I think we can have an affidavit for the most recent move, but what else should I provide?

Easy.  Just write what you have written here, and cross-reference to whatever documents you can provide.  USCIS is not going to reject you.  The stuff you sent just didn't have the precision they wanted so that they can tick all the boxes.

Again - you'll be OK.  Just fill in the gaps that USCIS identified.

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

• 1 year later...

Would the original poster ease my mind and let me know how your RFE process turned out!? I'm going through the same thing now and wondering what to expect. Thank you!!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys! 

So, today - 5/1/20, I received the RFE letter. I wanted to share everything with you and see if you can help me with the preparation of the packet. I want to thank you in advance for your help. You guys are amazing!! 🏆

This is what I sent to USCIS on July 12, 2019. Vermont center. 

Evidence of our bona fide relationship:
• Copy of our Marriage Certificate
• Copies of our joint tax return for 2017 and 2018
• Copies of our tax transcripts for 2017 and 2018
• Copies of our W2's for 2017 and 2018 showing same address
• Copies of bank statements from our join bank account for the past 24 months
• Copy of our joint account debit cards
• Copy of our apartment renters insurance showing joint policy
• Copy of my spouse's life insurance policy showing my name as the beneficiary
• Copy of our original apartment rental contract showing joint cohabitation
• Copy of our renewed apartment rental contract showing joint cohabitation
• Notarized sworn affidavit letters of support from family and friends
• Letter from the Building Management Office confirming our tenancy and joint cohabitation
• Copies of electricity bills for the past 24 months showing joint account 
• Copy of our Costco joint membership
• Copies of checks that we have paid the apartment rent with from our joint bank account and the landlord's receipts.
• Copy of check that we have paid the IRS from our joint bank account
• Copies of medical records, phone bills, online orders, furniture deliveries, bank correspondence, IRS correspondence, Department of Motor Vehicles, USPS package deliveries, promotional materials and other showing same address
• Copy of an email from a real estate investor in regards to future investments addressed to both of us
• Copy of a reservation confirmation for a United Airlines client event that we attended in New York City showing both of our names
• Copies of Driver's Licence and State ID showing same address
• Copy of our airline tickets from our trip to Chicago, Illinois
• Copy of our hotel reservation confirmation letter in Chicago, Illinois
• Explanation to why we don’t have a joint health care insurance
• Explanation to why we don’t have a joint phone plan
• Pictures together from 2016 to 2019.

BELOW IS THE RFE LETTER. They are basically asking for the same things. I don't understand. Compared to other people that I know, who have gotten green cards, I think I have sent more than enough.

Unfortunately I don't have anything additional from what I sent 10 months ago. We don't have a kid, we don't have a car, we don't have a joint phone bill because his company pays for his bill and we don't have joint health insurance because we've been changing jobs frequently and we couldn't be on the same plan. 

Do you think if I send the same documents, but with new dates for the past 10 months it will be sufficient??? AWAITING FOR YOUR ADVICE :)) 

768858254_RFEnoticepage1-1.thumb.jpg.d6103cfbfbfdb7be297c468154f188a7.jpg

1257687137_RFEnoticepage2-2.thumb.jpg.279ca5df8b44ccead9707da251e84ada.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.