plantinseeds

Been out of the U.S. for last two years and no proof of employment overseas

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

1st some context,

I'm an American citizen and have been working under-the-table for companies overseas during the last two years. Just a couple questions:

- Will this affect my chances of petition getting approved (even if I use co-sponsor)?

- Do I need to state this fact anywhere? Or should I abstain from mentioning it anywhere?

- When they look at my finances, will I need to explain exactly where savings came from?

Sorry if I'm getting into a grey area or this is frowned upon in this forum. Just want to know if a fiancee visa is possible considering my life for the last two years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

They will question you on your domicile and whether your resident of the USA or that foreign country which you will have to be domiciled in the USA. They will want to see your taxes which you haven't and you will have to explain to them why you didn't. So you will have to tell them other wise they won't let your petition for further.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Seth And Quynh said:

They will question you on your domicile and whether your resident of the USA or that foreign country which you will have to be domiciled in the USA. They will want to see your taxes which you haven't and you will have to explain to them why you didn't. So you will have to tell them other wise they won't let your petition for further.

I see. I am domiciled in the U.S., but do you think these facts will affect my chances of getting approved for visa?

Timeline

They will ask you why you were gone for two years and why you didn't file your taxes and getting paid under the table is a red flag for them. So it could affect your visa because they will get the notion of not paying taxes.

Timeline

There's a lot of ramifications to this, not filing your taxes will show you don't have a good source of income. And it's also against the law to not file them and you will have to file for backed taxes. 

Timeline
17 minutes ago, Seth And Quynh said:

There's a lot of ramifications to this, not filing your taxes will show you don't have a good source of income. And it's also against the law to not file them and you will have to file for backed taxes. 

Well that's disconcerting, but I understand. I will file back-taxes as soon as possible.

I don't have a legal source of income at the moment, but that will change once I'm in America. Hopefully my odds aren't greatly diminished because of the last two years. What do you think?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.