1,454 posts in this topic

Hello all! Long time lurker, just joined VJ to give you all an update. 

Met at my now wife online in 2006 and we’ve been close friends ever since. We developed an online business selling 3D items in an online game (Second Life) and made good money for a few years. We were both married to other people at the time and there were no secrets about our online activities. She went on to get divorced and lived with her son; I didnt visit her until 2016 - as a friend only - when my then wife told me she wanted a divorce (and not for the reason you’re now thinking! lol) so I ended up staying in the USA. It was just before I was due to return to the UK on the expiration of my 90 days that my now wife proposed so I ended up staying.

We used a lawyer to file the I-130 and I-485 in June, PD was 7 June. An immediate RFE for the medical which I had on the 13th (and all clear according to the unofficial copy the doctor gave me (shhh)). Biometrics in July; then nothing until I received my EAD card at the beginning of November. Fortunately I’m retired and a reasonable public service pension so no need to work - my wife does that!

My field office is Portland, Oregon. Looking at the processing times I was expecting not to get called for interview until next March or April, so imagine my surprise when a notification came through for 13 December! 

Had the interview today, and called on time at 8.45 by a pleasant female officer. After the swearing in, photo & prints etc I was asked about my previous trips to the USA; to my wife how we met; what were my parents’ names (she had my mother right, didn’t know my father’s as he’s been dead 45 years and I don’t talk about him anyway); details of our wedding and she looked through some photos but didn’t keep them. She did take up copies of latest bank statements, joint insurances, my wife’s pay stubs. Then the usual security etc questions and at the end announced I was approved! Overall about 15 minutes of question and answer. The Green Card should be with me in 10 days or so; hopefully then I can sort out my SSN which I applied for on 1 November but STILL haven’t received!

Best of luck to you all!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Poland
Timeline

Hello, 

I had my AOS interview 3 weeks ago in SD.

I want to share my experience as it was really frustrating what happened to us.

We came to the Immigration Office 20 minutes before interview time. Our interview started right on time.

At first the officer was very strict and official. Not friendly at all.

He started the interview from looking at our ID’s and passports and my SSN card. He asked for our birth certificates. He kept copies which I prepared for him.

He asked me a few questions from I-485 form ( all criminal record questions ). I answered “no” to all of them.

Than he started to look for my medical records… and he couldn’t find it!!! He said that there is only Vaccination card and it seems that medical file is missing. I told him that I gave the sealed envelope to the officer at the airport when I entered Us on my US visa this May – they asked for it  He said that is correct and not to worry because it happens from time to time (!!!) .

You can imagine how stressed we were after we found out about it at the very beginning of the interview. L

After that he started to ask where and how we met and when did we start dating. Than officer asked my husband very detailed questions about his travel history (because he used to travel abroad around 4-5 times a year )  and for how long did he stay in Poland when we met and where he stayed when he met me ( almost 5 years ago ). He asked my husband where did he go to school and where did he work before and what is he doing now.

Than he asked me where I grew up, went to school, university, past work experience etc. He asked if I plan to find a job in the US and what kind of job will it be.

After that he took a look at printed photos we brought with us and asked a few questions about people on the pictures and our wedding guests. He asked if he can keep the pictures, I replied : “yes of course all 50 pages are for you” – so kept them all and he seemed quite happy about it ;)

He looked at our joint bank account documents & credit cards (copies), he kept those.

He kept also the prove of address (different letters) and copies of our sailing certificates ( the course we took together after we got married ).

He didn’t want to see any airplane tickets, messages (Imessage and skype printed ) or phone calls records. We had those with us as well.

Than he started to look for my medical documents again. He said that he is sorry , for him the case is approved but we have to go to the doctor and bring the new form I-639 . He said we could request to find the old one in the USIC warehouse but he would not recommend it as it may take weeks and they still may not be able to find it.

He gave us a letter (RFE) and said to bring it to the doctor and ask for I693 form alone (because he had my vaccination card in front of him).  

He said to speed things up we can go to the doctor asap and bring the form I-693  back to  the office in person ( instead of sending it by post).

The interview took about an hour.

So we left the office and went straight to the surgeon listed on UCIS website which was not far away from the immigration office. We ended up paying $350 for the doctor’s appointment and all lab tests which I had to do again :(

After 3 days results came back and we went back to the doctor’s office, she gave us the sealed envelope and we went back to the immigration office. We left the RFE at the reception and got the confirmation that we handed in the document. The lady at the told us that she will give our RFE to the Officer as soon as he becomes available.   

3 weeks later I finally received my green card in the mail :):):) A few days before I received NOA that my case was approved.

My online status did not change at all.

Good luck to all of you! Thank you so much for sharing your AOS/EAD/AP experiences - it really help me to survive this process ;) 

AOS Timeline

06/12: I-485, I-765, I-131 sent through USPS

06/15 : NOA1 SMS and email notification for I-485, I-765, I-131 received

06/19: NOA1 I-797 for I-485, I-765 and I-131 received by mail

06/23: I-797C appointment notice for biometrics received by mail

07/10: Biometrics appointment

08/01: online update for I-485 to : "Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview"

09/26: EAD Status Change to New Card is Being Produced

09/29: EAD Status Change to My Card Was Mailed To Me 

10/03: Combo Card EAD+AP Received 

10/19: Interview letter received - Interview scheduled for 27th of November. 

11/27 : Interview 

12/11: NOA - I-485 Case APPROVED

12/12: GREEN CARD RECEIVED :):):)

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 2:17 AM, OldBritAbroad said:

The Green Card should be with me in 10 days or so; hopefully then I can sort out my SSN which I applied for on 1 November but STILL haven’t received!

Best of luck to you all!

4 hours ago, Evara said:

AOS Timeline

08/01: online update for I-485 to : "Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview"

Thanks you guys for sharing experience. This forum seems to be quiet after receiving EAD :) I am still waiting for my turn. Wish it ends soon.

On 12/13/2017 at 11:17 PM, OldBritAbroad said:

Hello all! Long time lurker, just joined VJ to give you all an update. 

Met at my now wife online in 2006 and we’ve been close friends ever since. We developed an online business selling 3D items in an online game (Second Life) and made good money for a few years. We were both married to other people at the time and there were no secrets about our online activities. She went on to get divorced and lived with her son; I didnt visit her until 2016 - as a friend only - when my then wife told me she wanted a divorce (and not for the reason you’re now thinking! lol) so I ended up staying in the USA. It was just before I was due to return to the UK on the expiration of my 90 days that my now wife proposed so I ended up staying.

We used a lawyer to file the I-130 and I-485 in June, PD was 7 June. An immediate RFE for the medical which I had on the 13th (and all clear according to the unofficial copy the doctor gave me (shhh)). Biometrics in July; then nothing until I received my EAD card at the beginning of November. Fortunately I’m retired and a reasonable public service pension so no need to work - my wife does that!

My field office is Portland, Oregon. Looking at the processing times I was expecting not to get called for interview until next March or April, so imagine my surprise when a notification came through for 13 December! 

Had the interview today, and called on time at 8.45 by a pleasant female officer. After the swearing in, photo & prints etc I was asked about my previous trips to the USA; to my wife how we met; what were my parents’ names (she had my mother right, didn’t know my father’s as he’s been dead 45 years and I don’t talk about him anyway); details of our wedding and she looked through some photos but didn’t keep them. She did take up copies of latest bank statements, joint insurances, my wife’s pay stubs. Then the usual security etc questions and at the end announced I was approved! Overall about 15 minutes of question and answer. The Green Card should be with me in 10 days or so; hopefully then I can sort out my SSN which I applied for on 1 November but STILL haven’t received!

Best of luck to you all!

4 hours ago, Evara said:

Hello, 

I had my AOS interview 3 weeks ago in SD.

I want to share my experience as it was really frustrating what happened to us.

We came to the Immigration Office 20 minutes before interview time. Our interview started right on time.

At first the officer was very strict and official. Not friendly at all.

He started the interview from looking at our ID’s and passports and my SSN card. He asked for our birth certificates. He kept copies which I prepared for him.

He asked me a few questions from I-485 form ( all criminal record questions ). I answered “no” to all of them.

Than he started to look for my medical records… and he couldn’t find it!!! He said that there is only Vaccination card and it seems that medical file is missing. I told him that I gave the sealed envelope to the officer at the airport when I entered Us on my US visa this May – they asked for it  He said that is correct and not to worry because it happens from time to time (!!!) .

You can imagine how stressed we were after we found out about it at the very beginning of the interview. L

After that he started to ask where and how we met and when did we start dating. Than officer asked my husband very detailed questions about his travel history (because he used to travel abroad around 4-5 times a year )  and for how long did he stay in Poland when we met and where he stayed when he met me ( almost 5 years ago ). He asked my husband where did he go to school and where did he work before and what is he doing now.

Than he asked me where I grew up, went to school, university, past work experience etc. He asked if I plan to find a job in the US and what kind of job will it be.

After that he took a look at printed photos we brought with us and asked a few questions about people on the pictures and our wedding guests. He asked if he can keep the pictures, I replied : “yes of course all 50 pages are for you” – so kept them all and he seemed quite happy about it ;)

He looked at our joint bank account documents & credit cards (copies), he kept those.

He kept also the prove of address (different letters) and copies of our sailing certificates ( the course we took together after we got married ).

He didn’t want to see any airplane tickets, messages (Imessage and skype printed ) or phone calls records. We had those with us as well.

Than he started to look for my medical documents again. He said that he is sorry , for him the case is approved but we have to go to the doctor and bring the new form I-639 . He said we could request to find the old one in the USIC warehouse but he would not recommend it as it may take weeks and they still may not be able to find it.

He gave us a letter (RFE) and said to bring it to the doctor and ask for I693 form alone (because he had my vaccination card in front of him).  

He said to speed things up we can go to the doctor asap and bring the form I-693  back to  the office in person ( instead of sending it by post).

The interview took about an hour.

So we left the office and went straight to the surgeon listed on UCIS website which was not far away from the immigration office. We ended up paying $350 for the doctor’s appointment and all lab tests which I had to do again :(

After 3 days results came back and we went back to the doctor’s office, she gave us the sealed envelope and we went back to the immigration office. We left the RFE at the reception and got the confirmation that we handed in the document. The lady at the told us that she will give our RFE to the Officer as soon as he becomes available.   

3 weeks later I finally received my green card in the mail :):):) A few days before I received NOA that my case was approved.

My online status did not change at all.

Good luck to all of you! Thank you so much for sharing your AOS/EAD/AP experiences - it really help me to survive this process ;) 

AOS Timeline

Congrats!

N-400 Timeline

March 16 2021 - Interview & same day Oath Ceremony, Ft. Myers FL - Officially a US citizen!

February 8 2021 - Interview Scheduled for March 16th

January 20 2021 - Received Biometric Reuse Letter

September 1 2020 - Filed Online

ROC Timeline

December 14 2020 - Green Card Received

December 12 2020 - Approval Notice Received

December 8 2020 - Approval Email, Case Status Updated

November 4 2019 - Completed Biometric at USCIS Tampa

October 26 2019 - Received Biometric Appointment Letter - Scheduled Nov 4th

July 25 2019 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

July 23 2019 - Check cashed

July 22 2019 - Text notification, #YSC Potomac

July 17 2019 - Packet delivered

July 15 2019 - Packet mailed to Dallas

Just to add, NOA received today (12/18); hopefully the GC won’t be too much longer!

it wasn’t - GC arrived today (12/23) by USPS Priority Mail.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline

Hi fellow June filers, Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

I am just here asking if anyone filing from California is still waiting for their interview. We filed the request on June 17th and has been ready to be scheduled for interview since September 19th. It's been more than 3 months now and I am wondering if this is normal...

Filed: Other Country: Japan
Timeline
16 hours ago, raydamon said:

Hi fellow June filers, Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

I am just here asking if anyone filing from California is still waiting for their interview. We filed the request on June 17th and has been ready to be scheduled for interview since September 19th. It's been more than 3 months now and I am wondering if this is normal...

I know there were some August filers in LA got the interview. Based on the processing time updated today, As of 10/31/17 they proceed application in 03/19/17 and January is coming soon. Good luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline

Just in time for the holidays. Received letter to appear for 01/30/2018 interview appointment. Baltimore Maryland field office is where the interview will be held.

06/19/2017 - Mailed I-130 (G-1145, I-130A) & I-485 (G-1145, G-325A, I-864, I-765, I-131, I-693) 

06/21/2017 - Delivered Chicago Lockbox

06/28/2017 - USCIS Cashed check

06/29/2017 - I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 Received notification via text and email

07/08/2017 -  Received I-797C in the mail for ASC Appointment Notice (Biometric) scheduled for 07/18/2017 1pm

07/26/2017 - Got a notification online saying "we are ready to schedule your Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status, Receipt Number MSCxxx, for an interview. We will schedule your interview and send you a notice

10/06/2017 - Received EAD & AP Approval letter *approval date 10/02/2017*

12/26/2017 - Received Request For Applicant To Appear For Interview

Edited by ChrisMG

I just submitted 2 service requests online for our I-130 & I-485 cases.  Expecting a reply by January 18. 2018. 

Based on the USCIS processing times, we're hoping our interview would be scheduled before March 2018.  :unsure: *fingerscrossed*

Congratulations to all those who have received their GC/EADs lately.  Happy holidays everyone! :D

I-130 & I-485 (AOS) Concurrent Filing | Approved in 13 months & 10 days

Spoiler

05/27/2017: I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 Package sent to Chicago Lockbox via USPS

05/31/2017: Priority Date for I-130 & I-485; Received Date for all 4 cases

06/30/2017: Biometrics completed

07/13/2017: Ready to be scheduled for an interview

09/19/2017: Submitted online case inquiry for EAD

09/20/2017: Approval Date for EAD & AP (117 days from filing date)

09/25/2017: Received hard copy I-797 Notices of Action (EAD & AP)

09/27/2017: Received Combo Card (EAD & AP)

12/27/2017: Submitted online case inquiry/SR for I-485/I-130 

05/17/2018: Received email response re: SR  

05/29/2018: Notice Date for AOS Interview scheduled

07/06/2018: AOS Interview & Approval Date (406 days from filing date) 

07/13/2018: Conditional Green Card in hand (CR6)

I-751 Removal of Conditions (ROC) Filing | Approved in 12 months & 9 days

Spoiler

03/18/2020: USCIS sent Reminder to File Form I-751 notice (sent to old address)

03/31/2020: USPS processed Return to Sender mail to NBC (Reminder to File Form I-751 notice)

04/02/2020: NBC received  Return to Sender mail (Reminder to File Form I-751 notice)

04/06/2020: Received Reminder to File Form I-751 notice in the mail to our current address

04/07/2020: ROC window opens

04/11/2020: I-751 Package sent to Phoenix Lockbox via USPS

04/13/2020: Package delivered to Phoenix Lockbox; Received Date for I-751

04/15/2020: Credit Card charged

04/16/2020: Case was received, assigned to WACNotice Date for I-751

04/17/2020: SMS notification that case was received

04/20/2020: Received hard copy I-797 NOA

09/30/2020: Old fingerprints were applied to ROC application

12/30/2020: SMS/e-mail received that case was transferred and new office has jurisdiction

01/04/2021: Received Transfer Notice to NBC 

04/19/2021: New card is being produced; Approval Notice date (374 days from filing date

04/20/2021: Case was approved notification received

04/21/2021: Card has been mailed to me notification

04/22/2021: I-751 Approval Notice received

04/24/2021: Permanent Green Card in hand (IR6)

N-400 Naturalization Filing | TBD

Spoiler

04/07/2021: N-400 Window opens (based on 3 year residency rule)

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
21 hours ago, Jass said:

Hey guys, 

we checked the the mail today and we have our interview date set; January 29th!! 

That's great. When did you get confirmation that your case was completed?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
16 hours ago, Andre3000 said:

That's great. When did you get confirmation that your case was completed?

Case completed? We got the interview date on Wednesday 

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: England
Timeline

Today 

I received my interview letter for January 30th in Baltimore, my file date in July 3rd.

My online status did not update.

The good thing with the interview letter is that it tells you what to bring.

Any advice on how to prepare for the interview with be greatly appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.