54 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi,

My husband does not earn above the poverty level, so that would mean that we need a co-sponsor, right? I did e-mail immigrations and they told me a co-sponsor is not a requirement, but if I feel I need one, then get one. I also have a lawyer and I asked him about it, he said when I get my work permit, then get a job, that will be proof that I can provide for myself, so I won't need a co-sponsor. So, I am a little confused as to whether I should have a co-sponsor, or not. I've heard of people on here that have been denied because they didn't have one. So, should I just be on the safe side and get one? I haven't got an interveiw date yet, but I'd like to know in advance of the AOS interveiw. Sorry if this has been asked a million times, and I hope I posted in the correct forum. Thanks for any advice in advance.

[color=#800080]AOS

Lawyer sent Aos package 07-27-2007

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

Biometrics scheduled - 09-12-2007

Biometrics for EAD and AOS 09-12-2007

Received RFE for medical and co-sponsor tax returns

(Tax returns were sent) also letter from employer

needed, and last 6 months pay stubs.

RFE: 09-11-2007

Sent RFE back to lawyer 10-10-2007

EAD card production ordered 06-11-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Interview date for 01-08-2008[/color]

Approved! Card Production ordered 01-08-2008

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi,

My husband does not earn above the poverty level, so that would mean that we need a co-sponsor, right? I did e-mail immigrations and they told me a co-sponsor is not a requirement, but if I feel I need one, then get one. I also have a lawyer and I asked him about it, he said when I get my work permit, then get a job, that will be proof that I can provide for myself, so I won't need a co-sponsor. So, I am a little confused as to whether I should have a co-sponsor, or not. I've heard of people on here that have been denied because they didn't have one. So, should I just be on the safe side and get one? I haven't got an interveiw date yet, but I'd like to know in advance of the AOS interveiw. Sorry if this has been asked a million times, and I hope I posted in the correct forum. Thanks for any advice in advance.

ok first of all, update your timeline.

It is says you applied for AOS already and you also say "you don't have an interview date yet", have you or have you not applied for AOS ? If you have, you have one stupid lawyer, because you should be asking this question prior to applying. You should FIRE your lawyer if he told you to wait for an EAD and use your income...

If your husband doesn't earn enough you need a co-sponsor, PERIOD. You can count your income in, but what if you get "approved" for a green card before your EAD even comes in the mail ? Then guess what ? You will get denied. Most people are not even getting an EAD anymore.... so tell us first, have you applied for AOS or not ?

Edited by florida_guy07

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Hi,

Review the I-864 requirements. If your husband does not earn above the poverty level, you definitely need a sponsor. I'd be very concerned that your lawyer didn't explain this to you - you can't qualify for your work permit or the rest of AOS without meeting the minimum!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

If your husband doesnt make above the poverty line for your household size, then you need a cosponsor.

2/23/07 - Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

2/25/07 - Package arrived in Chicago

3/05/07 - Checks cashed

3/05/07 - Received NOAs for I-765, I-485, & I-130!

3/09/07 - All touched

3/10/07 - Received biometrics appt letter

3/12/07 - All touched

3/13/07 - I-130 & I-765 touched

3/15/07 - I-485 touched

3/15/07 - Received email informing me that an RFE has been mailed to me about the I-485

3/19/07 - Received RFE for I-485 in the mail.

3/20/07 - Biometrics appt

3/21/07 - I-485 & I-765 touched

3/23/07 - Mailed back RFE with signature confirmation

3/26/07 - RFE was delivered to Lee's Summit, MO & was signed for by "Ashley Love"

3/27/07 - Received email saying that RFE has been received at MSC and that case processing has resumed

3/27/07 - I-485 touched

3/28/07 - I-485 touched

4/17/07 - I-765 & I-130 touched

4/18/07 - All touched

4/19/07 - All touched

5/10/07 - I-765 touched

5/14/07 - Received interview notice in the mail! Interview will be on July 18!!!

5/15/07 - I-765 touched!

5/15/07 - Received email saying that EAD card production has been ordered!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5/16/07 - I-765 touched

5/19/07 - Received EAD in the mail!!!!!!!!

5/21/07 - I-765 touched

7/18/07 - Had interview in Memphis, TN! GC Approved!!!

7/23/07 - Received Welcome Letter (with notice date of July 19th) in the mail.

7/24/07 - Received Card Production Ordered email!

8/02/07 - Received Permanent Resident Card!!!! No more USCIS until 2009!!!!!

Timeline
Hi,

It is says you applied for AOS already and you also say "you don't have an interview date yet", have you or have you not applied for AOS ? If you have, you have one stupid lawyer, because you should be asking this question prior to applying. You should FIRE your lawyer if he told you to wait for an EAD and use your income...

If your husband doesn't earn enough you need a co-sponsor, PERIOD. You can count your income in, but what if you get "approved" for a green card before your EAD even comes in the mail ? Then guess what ? You will get denied. Most people are not even getting an EAD anymore.... so tell us first, have you applied for AOS or not ?

Yes I applied for AOS over 2 years ago. There was a mix up with my paperwork, long story.......my paperwork got sent back to my country and they gave me an interview date for over in the UK. I haven't had an interveiw date over here as my paperwork is still in the UK. Thanks for your response.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hi,

Yes I applied for AOS over 2 years ago. There was a mix up with my paperwork, long story.......my paperwork got sent back to my country and they gave me an interview date for over in the UK. I haven't had an interveiw date over here as my paperwork is still in the UK. Thanks for your response.

You applied for AOS over 2 years ago ?????????????????? and you are now inquiring about I-864 ????

Unless you can give us better details about your case, noone will be able to offer you any help.

0.14..MY%20TIMELINE.png

06/05/01 - Entered the U.S. on a B2 Visa with parents (17 years old at the time)

01/05/07 - Got married

04/04/07 - AOS package mailed :)

04/08/07 - On Easter Sunday - Package received DAY 1

04/17/07 - NOA1 Received. (Dated 04/13/2007) DAY 10

04/18/07 - Touched DAY 11

04/19/07 - Touched AGAIN DAY 12

04/20/07 - Biometrics appt notice received (05-02-07) DAY 13

04/27/07 - I-130 Touched DAY 20

05/02/07 - Biometrics (Took us 8 minutes - no kidding) DAY 25

05/03/07 - I-485 Touched DAY 26

05/17/07 - Interview letter arrived (07-17-07) DAY 41

07/17/07 - Interview - Everything went well but received an RFE DAY 102

08/28/07 - RFE sent - Took a long time to get what they needed DAY 144

08/29/07 - RFE received - DAY 145

10/04/07 - Email: Notice welcoming new resident mailed - DAY 180

10/05/07 - Touched - DAY 181

10/09/07 - Welcome Notice received. - DAY 185

10/10/07 - Card production ordered. - DAY 186

10/17/07 - Green card received !!!!!!!! - Day 193

Timeline
Hi,

You applied for AOS over 2 years ago ?????????????????? and you are now inquiring about I-864 ????

Unless you can give us better details about your case, noone will be able to offer you any help.

Yes, that's correct. I have already filed all the paperwork, and as I said before all my information got sent to the American Embassy, in the Uk, even though I applied for AOS in the US. Anyway, I think I've got the information that require from other posters here. I do need a co-sponsor.

Thanks to all that have replied, it is appreciated.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hi,

If I remember, it was something about not having an address here on the paperwork or them sending it to the wrong place ...but I'm a little vague on the details, she posted abt it once.

r again.

Anyway, if he makes less than the poverty level, yes you will need a cosponsor or you will not get approval.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
Hi,

If I remember, it was something about not having an address here on the paperwork or them sending it to the wrong place ...but I'm a little vague on the details, she posted abt it once.

r again.

Anyway, if he makes less than the poverty level, yes you will need a cosponsor or you will not get approval.

I sent my paperwork to my local NVC, when I posted before about my situation I found out that I should have sent it to the Chicago lockbox address. I did have my address here on all of the paperwork.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Hi,

r again.

I sent my paperwork to my local NVC, when I posted before about my situation I found out that I should have sent it to the Chicago lockbox address. I did have my address here on all of the paperwork.

I knew it was one or the other...hope you can get it fixed =/

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
Hi,

r again.

I knew it was one or the other...hope you can get it fixed =/

Thanks Meow Mix, I hope I will get it fixed soon too.

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: Country: Sweden
Timeline

Normally when you file for AOS you need to include the affidavit of support. I don't know what you and your lawyer filed, just saying that's what's normally done.

Obviously at that stage of the process most people would not have authorization to work yet. So at that point in time, you would need a joint sponsor if your husband does not earn the required 125% level (based on poverty guidelines), and also does not have enough assets to make up the difference. (He would need 5x the amount of the shortfall to make it up in assets.)

Your lawyer is also right. By the time the interview rolls around, you will hopefully have received your EAD (work permit) and found a job. You can add your income to your husband's for the affidavit of support. With two incomes you will probably make the required amount of money for your household size. So at the interview, you could ask if you could swap out the old affidavit (with the joint sponsor) with your new one (with your income counted). That way you don't have to leave your joint sponsor on the hook. Or if you got away with not submitting an affidavit of support when you first filed, you would never need a joint sponsor.

Please read the instructions to form I-864 if you have not already done so. It will give you a much better understanding of how the support issues work and what you/your husband can use to qualify.

"When all else fails, read the instructions."

Timeline
Normally when you file for AOS you need to include the affidavit of support. I don't know what you and your lawyer filed, just saying that's what's normally done.

Obviously at that stage of the process most people would not have authorization to work yet. So at that point in time, you would need a joint sponsor if your husband does not earn the required 125% level (based on poverty guidelines), and also does not have enough assets to make up the difference. (He would need 5x the amount of the shortfall to make it up in assets.)

Your lawyer is also right. By the time the interview rolls around, you will hopefully have received your EAD (work permit) and found a job. You can add your income to your husband's for the affidavit of support. With two incomes you will probably make the required amount of money for your household size. So at the interview, you could ask if you could swap out the old affidavit (with the joint sponsor) with your new one (with your income counted). That way you don't have to leave your joint sponsor on the hook. Or if you got away with not submitting an affidavit of support when you first filed, you would never need a joint sponsor.

Please read the instructions to form I-864 if you have not already done so. It will give you a much better understanding of how the support issues work and what you/your husband can use to qualify.

Thank-you, when I first started the AOS process I didn't have a lawyer. I only hired him recently as my paperwork is in my own country and it is meant to be over here. So I was hoping he could sort things out for me. And yes, I did file the Affidavit of Support. So, if my husband had enough in assets, and I had a job to cover the rest of houshold income, would I be able to give them this information at the interveiw, or should I sort that out before hand?

[color=#800080]AOS

Medical 08-01-2007

Check cashed -08-23-2007

NOA - 08-27-2007

EAD received 17-11-2007

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thank-you, when I first started the AOS process I didn't have a lawyer. I only hired him recently as my paperwork is in my own country and it is meant to be over here. So I was hoping he could sort things out for me. And yes, I did file the Affidavit of Support. So, if my husband had enough in assets, and I had a job to cover the rest of houshold income, would I be able to give them this information at the interveiw, or should I sort that out before hand?

I think for anyone to give you any useful information, you are going to have to explain your situation including your timeline and what you actually filed. If you have sent an I-864 and not heard anything about it, why is that and *where* is it.

You're asking for information that can't sensibly be applied to your situation.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.