Hurry&Wait

Vietnam Drivers License for Americans

9 posts in this topic

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a Vietnam driver’s license? This is my third trip here since December and am spending six weeks here this time. It seems that I will have spent about 1/3 of the first six months in the country. I would like to be “legal” [if] riding a motorbike. I read that it is possible and even found directions, but found other sites that suggest a Tourist Visa is not sufficient when applying for a license.

I would appreciate advise from those who have actually applied for a license.

Thank you

Filed: Timeline
On 5/27/2017 at 6:02 PM, Thuy&Nathan said:

Has anyone been successful in obtaining a Vietnam driver’s license? This is my third trip here since December and am spending six weeks here this time. It seems that I will have spent about 1/3 of the first six months in the country. I would like to be “legal” [if] riding a motorbike. I read that it is possible and even found directions, but found other sites that suggest a Tourist Visa is not sufficient when applying for a license.

Thank you

I spend a lot of time in Vietnam and always tease my wife by saying I'll get a driver license.  Car, not bike.  No one will let me drive a bike.  I work in insurance and will spare you quotes of fatality rates on Vietnamese roads vs. the US.  It isn't good.

That said, I live in LA and the traffic in Vietnam is crazier...so...my advice...is don't.  I imagine anything is possible in Vietnam with a little money.  I have never heard the type of visa is an issue (I have a visa waiver as a spouse of a Vietnamese citizen).

Best of luck, and be safe out there!

Edited by JRF

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

The process to convert your license is pretty straight forward. Just like the directions that you found.  The VN license will expire at the same time as your visa.  

In reality you should be ok just showing your US license.  200k usually does the trick with the yellow clad officers.  No more than 500k.  Now if you get into an accident your insurance may or may not cover you.  So look into that.  Traffic stops are just a money shakedown in most places.  Occasionally you will get an officer that is actually enforcing the rules.  

https://www.vietnamonline.com/transport/how-to-obtain-a-vietnamese-driving-license.html

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

On 5/30/2017 at 10:10 AM, Anh map said:

The process to convert your license is pretty straight forward. Just like the directions that you found.  The VN license will expire at the same time as your visa.  

In reality you should be ok just showing your US license.  200k usually does the trick with the yellow clad officers.  No more than 500k.  Now if you get into an accident your insurance may or may not cover you.  So look into that.  Traffic stops are just a money shakedown in most places.  Occasionally you will get an officer that is actually enforcing the rules.  

https://www.vietnamonline.com/transport/how-to-obtain-a-vietnamese-driving-license.html

Thanks for this [again]. I appreciate your sound logic! 

We just purchased a couple of new motorbikes in her hometown and will be riding one back to HCMC (about 6 hours). The other is for her father.  He kept telling me not to purchase one for him, but we tricked him to coming to the Honda dealer by asking him to bring some paperwork and then asked him what color he liked. He told us and the dealership got it ready after he left. I just showed up with it and he is extremely pleased!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline
On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:02 PM, Thuy&Nathan said:

Thank you

coffee money will do the trick.

On 6/1/2017 at 6:59 AM, Thuy&Nathan said:

We just purchased a couple of new motorbikes in her hometown and will be riding one back to HCMC (about 6 hours). The other is for her father.  He kept telling me not to purchase one for him, but we tricked him to coming to the Honda dealer by asking him to bring some paperwork and then asked him what color he liked. He told us and the dealership got it ready after he left. I just showed up with it and he is extremely pleased!

You're a good son-in-law. :)

My father-in-law, on the other hand, asked if my wife could buy him a car and ship it to him in VN. I hope he wasn't serious.

4 hours ago, frontgear said:

You're a good son-in-law. :)

My father-in-law, on the other hand, asked if my wife could buy him a car and ship it to him in VN. I hope he wasn't serious.

Her father is a serious, caring man! I offered to purchase him one during the engagement, but he said no! I did not at that time as I was concerned that his friends and family members may believe that he used the $$$ given to us as gifts to us for this purpose. 

Now, he is extremely ill and needs to travel 35+- km to the hospital a few times a month. I just worry that he would break down in the pouring rain or excessive heat int he middle of nowhere. Plus, traffic travels up to 90 km/hr on the road he drives (many large trucks). Therefore, I insisted on the new motorbike and purchased a Honda Future. This is also powerful enough for us to ride when there. 

He is a "proud" man and would never ask for anything. However, besides the bike, I am now going to provide a monthly allowance. He has a son-in-law doing the same thing (VN)-though I did not know he was contributing until after I committed. I honestly feel that I found a companion from a strong family, but they need help...also, this is NOTHING like what I provide my own mother on a monthly basis!

I hope your father-in-law was joking, but it seems that people I meet here do not really joke about financial matters. I sincerely wish you the best!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline
On 6/16/2017 at 4:40 AM, Thuy&Nathan said:

Her father is a serious, caring man! I offered to purchase him one during the engagement, but he said no! I did not at that time as I was concerned that his friends and family members may believe that he used the $$$ given to us as gifts to us for this purpose. 

Now, he is extremely ill and needs to travel 35+- km to the hospital a few times a month. I just worry that he would break down in the pouring rain or excessive heat int he middle of nowhere. Plus, traffic travels up to 90 km/hr on the road he drives (many large trucks). Therefore, I insisted on the new motorbike and purchased a Honda Future. This is also powerful enough for us to ride when there. 

He is a "proud" man and would never ask for anything. However, besides the bike, I am now going to provide a monthly allowance. He has a son-in-law doing the same thing (VN)-though I did not know he was contributing until after I committed. I honestly feel that I found a companion from a strong family, but they need help...also, this is NOTHING like what I provide my own mother on a monthly basis!

I hope your father-in-law was joking, but it seems that people I meet here do not really joke about financial matters. I sincerely wish you the best!

FWIW: Just be aware that your generosity may morph into higher expectations.   Not an uncommon thing in VN.   

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.