ribki

Kyiv, Ukraine, medical exam

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for some information about medical exams in Kyiv, Ukraine. We are filing for I130, so the medical will be a little different than for K1, but still... helpsmilie.gif

I would like to know the following

1. How long did it take to schedule an appointment? Is it a week time wait or more?

2. How long did the medical last?

3. What was done during the medical? Tests? General medical history? Any tricky questions asked?

4. What vaccinations did the doctor say were absolutely necessary and which ones were waved?

5. When did you get the results?

6. I know the embassy gives a list of things to bring to the medical. Did you need anything extra?

7. How long the medical is good for? I am trying to decide whether to schedule an appointment before we get an official notification from the embassy about our I130 approval. My husband got the case number when he applied and was told that the Adam Walsh check will take about 2 weeks.

Thanks a lot.

4/06/2007 Cancelled, via USPS letter, I-130 filed in US and made appointment to file DCF in Kyiv

4/10/2007 Filed I-130 for IR-1 visa DCF in Kyiv, Ukraine

4/25/2007 Received approval from embassy via email to make an appointment for visa interview

4/25/2007 & 4/27/2007 Tried to make an appointment but Call Center doesn't have our info yet

5/03/2007 Finally, made the visa interview appointment, first date available June 11, 2007

6/11/2007 IR-1 interview--VISA APPROVED! Should be delivered in 7-10 days

6/15/2007 Visa and brown envelope delivered

7/2/2007 POE Charlotte, NC

7/28/2007 Received the permanent resident card (green card)

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I am looking for some information about medical exams in Kyiv, Ukraine. We are filing for I130, so the medical will be a little different than for K1, but still... helpsmilie.gif

1. How long did it take to schedule an appointment? Is it a week time wait or more?

3. What was done during the medical? Tests? General medical history? Any tricky questions asked?

4. What vaccinations did the doctor say were absolutely necessary and which ones were waved?

6. I know the embassy gives a list of things to bring to the medical. Did you need anything extra?

7. How long the medical is good for? I am trying to decide whether to schedule an appointment before we get an official notification from the embassy about our I130 approval. My husband got the case number when he applied and was told that the Adam Walsh check will take about 2 weeks.

Thanks a lot.

1) Depends on volume but she could have had it within a few days if she wanted but decided on a week later after call because she had to arrange travel into Kiev...

2) She arrived at 6 am to get in line... Clinic opened at 8 or 9. Exam lasted until about Noon or 1. Results suppose to be ready same day after 3 but she got them at 4:30.

3) Standard physical stuff (chest xray, blood and urine tests, breast exam, etc..). No trick questions I am aware of...

4) Embassy has list of required vaccinations for CR1/IR1 listed on website which is different than K-1. K-1 could receive any missing vaccinations or get booster (if required) on any of the required because will be needed for AOS but of course was optional at this time. Waived vaccinations typically based on medical conditions only.. ie... if pregnant then they will waive ones that are not good for pregnant women)

5) See #2

6) Vaccination Record, KEV # from Embassy, photos, passport (list from Embassy was complete)

7) 1 year.... KEV # is all that is required to call and schedule medical....

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Thanks a lot.

1) Depends on volume but she could have had it within a few days if she wanted but decided on a week later after call because she had to arrange travel into Kiev...

2) She arrived at 6 am to get in line... Clinic opened at 8 or 9. Exam lasted until about Noon or 1. Results suppose to be ready same day after 3 but she got them at 4:30.

3) Standard physical stuff (chest xray, blood and urine tests, breast exam, etc..). No trick questions I am aware of...

4) Embassy has list of required vaccinations for CR1/IR1 listed on website which is different than K-1. K-1 could receive any missing vaccinations or get booster (if required) on any of the required because will be needed for AOS but of course was optional at this time. Waived vaccinations typically based on medical conditions only.. ie... if pregnant then they will waive ones that are not good for pregnant women)

5) See #2

6) Vaccination Record, KEV # from Embassy, photos, passport (list from Embassy was complete)

7) 1 year.... KEV # is all that is required to call and schedule medical....

You rock, fwaguy. That's the most clear and complete information I've seen on this...it helps a lot!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Thank you, fwaguy, for your response.

I have a question about #2. Was it really necessary to arrive that early? Are there that many people? Or is it just because she came from Lviv on the train and went directly to the clinic? I kind of hoped they would just tell me what time to come. Is it one of those places where people who come first get served first?

Thanks

4/06/2007 Cancelled, via USPS letter, I-130 filed in US and made appointment to file DCF in Kyiv

4/25/2007 Received approval from embassy via email to make an appointment for visa interview

4/25/2007 & 4/27/2007 Tried to make an appointment but Call Center doesn't have our info yet

5/03/2007 Finally, made the visa interview appointment, first date available June 11, 2007

Timeline
Thank you, fwaguy, for your response.

I have a question about #2. Was it really necessary to arrive that early? Are there that many people? Or is it just because she came from Lviv on the train and went directly to the clinic? I kind of hoped they would just tell me what time to come. Is it one of those places where people who come first get served first?

Thanks

Yes, when she arrived at 6am it was directly from the train station, as she travelled all night from Kherson. However, at 6am there was already a line forming and she said she was the third group... two families of 4 and her and her son made a total of 10 at that time. She thought by the time the clinic opened, that there must have been 80-100 people and it does appear to be first come, first served, because I think all are told to be there at time of clinic opening. Some of the 80-100 people attempted to be "walk-ins" without scheduled appointment... She did not tell me how the clinic handled the walk-ins or if anyone was turned away.... I imagine had she not been there that early, her total time to transit through the 4 different exam rooms most likely would have added time to her day beyond the Noon timeframe....

YMMV

That's what I was afraid of...

I have also noticed that your interview date is May 3. Is it the wait time at the embassy or did you just pick it yourself?

Thanks again.

Timeline
That's what I was afraid of...

I have also noticed that your interview date is May 3. Is it the wait time at the embassy or did you just pick it yourself?

Thanks again.

We sent in our request for interview on March 22 and it was the day assigned to us by the Embassy, we wanted earlier but that was the first available... I am not certain how they schedule the CR1/IR1 interviews but right now they are scheduling K-1 interviews for early June....about 6 - 7 weeks out... a few weeks ago it was only 3 weeks so they must have quite a few applicants they are trying to accomodate (maybe k-1's, k-3's and IR1/CR1's since they are all done by the immigrant visa (IV) unit)

We want to travel right after the school year is over so we are hoping for May 27th. So if all goes well on May 3rd, we should be good to go.

YMMV

• 3 weeks later...

My wife had her medical exam on Friday in Kyiv. This post adds some info not detailed earlier in case there are others who might benefit. Before all this, my wife did not have any vaccination records with a stamp from a medical clinic but she did have her medical records and from them compiled a list of the vaccinations. And with a little "encouragement" from her mother, the polyclinic in her hometown agreed to compile the list and put the clinic stamp on it. Thanks to this, my wife had an official document that showed her immunizations even though the polyclinic didn't really want to make this document. They, too, had some records but they often don't want to do their jobs unless you provide some financial encouragement. Fortunately, my wife didn't have to have any additional vaccines. The vaccines, though, can cost as much as 600 hryvnya (more than $120) if some are required. The exam now costs $75 and should be paid in US dollars.

My wife called before going, and it was basically that she could come any day she wanted but some days had a lot of people signed up already. This clinic does medical exams for four embassies. So she asked for a day that not many people were scheduled to come but still around 80 or so people were there when she got there. It seems there is no sense in trying to get there very early because if they let you in the line (they stop accepting people at noon or so), they will do your exam. They basically just stop taking people in the line and make sure everyone gets through who is in line. I don't recommend coming very late, though. They might just turn you away. Test results are then made available by 3:00 or a little later. So no matter what, you are going to have to sit there and wait. This clinic is not very conveniently located so plan to just stay there until results are ready. The taxi-van #198 goes straight there from the main train station.

There are four basic exams: a blood test, X-ray (which they give you in a big envelope), a simple physical exam (listening to hearts and lungs only), and a simple eye exam. She did not have a urine test. There may be something different for other kinds of visas. We are applying for an IR-1. They do ask what kind of visa you are applying for.

They asked if she had ever used drugs, been suicidal, ever been in the hospital.

They gave her a sealed envelope to take to the interview and we got a copy of the vaccination chart in English which we may need in America for some other bureaucratic hoop to jump through. Except for the blood test, she was told everything was fine. Since you have to wait for blood test results, they just hand you the sealed enveloped and you don't see a doctor after that. I guess you have to assume everything is OK.

In other matters, the Call Center they are now using for appointments is becoming a pain. We have called twice trying to make an appointment but they say they still say our info is not in the computer even though the embassy has said they sent the info. So, once you get approval of your petition, don't try to make the appointment the day you get the approval. Otherwise, you'll get to donate $12 to the Call Center.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline
My wife had her medical exam on Friday in Kyiv. This post adds some info not detailed earlier in case there are others who might benefit. Before all this, my wife did not have any vaccination records with a stamp from a medical clinic but she did have her medical records and from them compiled a list of the vaccinations. And with a little "encouragement" from her mother, the polyclinic in her hometown agreed to compile the list and put the clinic stamp on it. Thanks to this, my wife had an official document that showed her immunizations even though the polyclinic didn't really want to make this document. They, too, had some records but they often don't want to do their jobs unless you provide some financial encouragement. Fortunately, my wife didn't have to have any additional vaccines. The vaccines, though, can cost as much as 600 hryvnya (more than $120) if some are required. The exam now costs $75 and should be paid in US dollars.

My wife called before going, and it was basically that she could come any day she wanted but some days had a lot of people signed up already. This clinic does medical exams for four embassies. So she asked for a day that not many people were scheduled to come but still around 80 or so people were there when she got there. It seems there is no sense in trying to get there very early because if they let you in the line (they stop accepting people at noon or so), they will do your exam. They basically just stop taking people in the line and make sure everyone gets through who is in line. I don't recommend coming very late, though. They might just turn you away. Test results are then made available by 3:00 or a little later. So no matter what, you are going to have to sit there and wait. This clinic is not very conveniently located so plan to just stay there until results are ready. The taxi-van #198 goes straight there from the main train station.

There are four basic exams: a blood test, X-ray (which they give you in a big envelope), a simple physical exam (listening to hearts and lungs only), and a simple eye exam. She did not have a urine test. There may be something different for other kinds of visas. We are applying for an IR-1. They do ask what kind of visa you are applying for.

They asked if she had ever used drugs, been suicidal, ever been in the hospital.

They gave her a sealed envelope to take to the interview and we got a copy of the vaccination chart in English which we may need in America for some other bureaucratic hoop to jump through. Except for the blood test, she was told everything was fine. Since you have to wait for blood test results, they just hand you the sealed enveloped and you don't see a doctor after that. I guess you have to assume everything is OK.

In other matters, the Call Center they are now using for appointments is becoming a pain. We have called twice trying to make an appointment but they say they still say our info is not in the computer even though the embassy has said they sent the info. So, once you get approval of your petition, don't try to make the appointment the day you get the approval. Otherwise, you'll get to donate $12 to the Call Center.

Thanks, Ribki! Very useful information...this helps so much to know a little bit more what to expect!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.