carebearh707

Husband and I split, 2 year conditional card

33 posts in this topic

The vetting lies in the hands of the petitioner. All relationships need to be done in a way so that everyone can get to know the other persons true intentions. After all, it wasn't the government who brought you together. True there are systems in place but it still can be overcome by a scammer. But in situations like this it is the petitioner being scammed more than the officer. Remember, it is the petitioner who also brings all the evidence to prove the relationship is sincere. The petitioner is basically vouching for the beneficiary. Immigration does the checks and balances but there is only so much it can do without changing into a process that would severely invade your privacy; creating an even more tedious and arduous experience.

I agree that we all are sorry this has happened to you. We see cases like this way too often and it is never a pleasurable.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, carebearh707 said:

You all wouldn't say move on with your life if it had happened to you. There are serious flaws in the vetting system. For example, for our gc interview, hardly anything was asked and we were approved because of an emotional response of an officer. Furthermore, it's pretty bad when they can't see if an applicant has applied for other foreign visas or had other previous foreign relationships. Huge red flags. I'm not the first it has happened to either. Justice will be served in this life or the next and I will do my best to be sure it is in this one.

Sorry but I would indeed suggest moving on if it did happen to me.  I don't believe that vengeance is mine to make happen.  It's my responsibility not USCIS to be sure one has good intentions overall.  

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You need to take responsibility for your own poor choices you made

and should have spend more time with him to see who he really is. I can not believe you blame the government which you tried so hard to convince with the initial petition and then again the AOS. Seriously it's your fault for picking the wrong guy nobody else's just as I was accountable over a decade ago for petitioning a scammer and guess what I quickly moved on from the drama. I investigated him because I did not ignore red flags and he never made it here. Happy as a lark now with an awesome husband. 

Start taking responsibility for your own choices as a mature adult. So yes I say again move on. 

Spoiler

I-129F Sent : 3-31-2014, NOA2: 4-6-2014

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Consulate Received : July 30,2014 Transfer to right embassy complete.

Interview Date : Oct 22, 2014

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Oct 23 email notification visa approved.
Visa Received : Nov. 3 , 2014 VISA IN HAND.

US Entry : Nov. 21, 2014

Marriage : Dec 27, 2014

AOS send : May 12, 2015, received May 14, 2015 USPS priority

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

UPDATE: July 5, 2015 updated on all 3 cases, RFE received June 30, 2015.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

Emails : Aug 24, 2015, EAD approved, EAD card ordered.

I-797 EAD/AP approval notice received : Aug 27, 2015

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS April 21, 2016, case not assigned yet.
Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.
AOS Interview letter received Aug 12, 2016

AOS Interview September 21, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Second Biometrics completed Aug 17, 2016

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

EAD/AP (renewal) approval Aug 22, 2016, NOA2 received Aug 25, 2016

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.
July 21, 2017 HOME VISIT.  Went well. Topic thread in AOS forum.
Waiting to skip ROC and get 10 yr GC due to over 2 year while pending AOS
AOS APPROVED Oct. 4, 2017 * Green card in hand Oct 13, 2017 !!!!!

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

9 hours ago, carebearh707 said:

You all wouldn't say move on with your life if it had happened to you. 

Heres the thing.... something kinda resembling this did happen to me, and y'know what, I absolutely still do say that. 

There are serious flaws in the vetting system. For example, for our gc interview, hardly anything was asked and we were approved because of an emotional response of an officer. 

Maybe. It could be argued that the whole process doesn't work properly and is outdated but it is what it is.

My own immigrant visa interview took just a couple of minutes, and the whole process just over four months form start to finish (and could have been even quicker). Does that mean I wasn't vetted or somehow not worthy of it? 

To keep up an act in a convincing manner for potentially years, generally would mean that you either have to be a seriously good actor, suffering from some serious personality disorder, or ideally both. The people that control this process and conduct these interviews may in many respects be useless, but they aren't totally stupid. To fool your partner, subsequently spouse, plus usually family, friends, colleagues, and then the US govt - all consistently without slipping up or raising red flags -  means serious dedication, and thankfully many people DO get caught out doing this.

If there WERE red flags and you still proceeded, then I am sorry, that is down to you. With all due respect it isn't the governments job to vet your spouse, for the most part they are merely in possession of the information provided to them by you as the petitioner and act accordingly.

The fact is that at the current time, a US citizen has the right to petition for permanent residency for their lawful spouse, and it takes precedent over most other methods for immigration.

That is the law as it currently stands, and you took full advantage of that right afforded to you as a a US citizen. That it went south for the winter at a later date is nothing to do with the law that you took advantage of at the time or somehow automatically means their intentions were less than honourable.

Don't like it or want to change the law? Then use your voice at the ballot box, run for office, or protest in some other manner. 

Furthermore, it's pretty bad when they can't see if an applicant has applied for other foreign visas or had other previous foreign relationships. Huge red flags. 

I have two passports stuffed full of visas from all over the world, and many of us have had multiple foreign relationships - including long distance, as many have on here - in our lifetimes.

Why on earth would that be an automatic red flag?

If they had actually been married and divorced before and lived overseas by virtue of an immigrant visa, then it would have to be declared on their application and you would (should) have known this. There isn't a central database of every persons movements worldwide, so again, how would the US govt know?

I'm not the first it has happened to either. 

No doubt.

However, you also aren't the first to accuse an ex-spouse of fraud. Thankfully we live in a society where an accusation without evidence is just that - an accusation.

If you do actually have evidence of this, then please do present it to USCIS, and if applicable and genuine, they will more than likely act on it.

Justice will be served in this life or the next and I will do my best to be sure it is in this one.

Loosely paraphrasing lines from Russell Crowe Gladiator was cool on forums for about half a day in 2000.  It doesn't make you sound scary, it makes you sound, well, odd, and could also be construed as a threat.

He has his ROC process to do now involving a divorce waiver, that you are no longer part of it ,and you have made it clear you would not co-operate. I will also point out that if you are seen to be making threats and/or things deliberately difficult, a competent lawyer could perhaps spin that into an abuse waiver (threats regarding immigration against an immigrant spouse can be classed as abuse).

I urge you to focus your energies on moving on with your life as you sound incredibly bitter, which is an entirely understandable, normal and natural reaction initially, but holding onto that will absolute eat you alive from the inside out. 

Edited by mindthegap

CR1 / DCF (London): 2012 / 2013 (4 months from I-130 petition to visa in hand)

I-751 #1- April 2015 [Denied]

April 2015 : I-751 Joint filing package sent fedex next day 09:00am from UK ($lots - thanks). 
Jan 2017: Notification that an interview has been scheduled at a local office. Bizarrely still no RFE... 
Jan 2017: 2hr wait, then interview terminated before it began, due to moving my ID to another state 2 wks prior. New interview 'in a few months...maybe.'   Informed them that divorce proceedings are underway, but not finalised at this time. 
March 2017: An Interview was scheduled - marked as no-show as they didn't actually send out a notification of interview. FML 
April  2017: Filed an official complaint with the ombudsman, and have requested Senator & Congressman assistance
August 2017: Interview - switched to a (finalised) divorce waiver. Told that decision will be made that afternoon, but no problems foreseen with my case. 
October 2017: Letter of Denial received - reason given as 'I-751 petition was not properly filed'. Discovered ex-spouse made false allegations to USCIS in 2015. No opportunity given to review & refute allegations  - contrary to USCIS policy.

I-751 #2 - Oct 2017 - Mar 2021[Denied] 

October 2017: Within 72hrs of receiving denial notice, a new waiver I-751, divorce decree & $680 cheque, sent to Vermont via FedEx overnight 9am priority.  
Dec 2019: Filed FOIA request for full A# file
Feb 2020: FOIA request completed - entire A# file received as a .PDF; 197 pages fully redacted, and 80 partially redacted. Don't waste your time!
March 2021: I-751 #2 denied for lack of evidence. No RFE, no interview, and evidence in previous I-751 not reviewed - contrary to policy. Huge errors in adjudication.

N-400 - Feb 2018 - Apr 2021 [Denied]

February 2018: N-400 filed online.  $725 paid to the USCIS paperwork wastage fund

February  2019: Interview - cancelled after a four hour wait due to 'missing paperwork' on their end. Promised Expedited reschedule.

March 2021: Interview letter received, strangely dated after I-751 denial. No I-751 interview conducted. N-400 interview and test passed, given 'cannot make a decision at this time' paper due to the ongoing I-751 nightmare...

April 2021: N-400 denial received citing recent I-751 denial as basis for ineligibility, even though it should have been a combo interview 🤯

I AM JACK'S COMPLETE LACK OF SURPRISE

Service Motion - March 2021 [Sent via FedEx & COMPLETELY IGNORED by USCIS]

March 2021: Service Motion request sent overnight addressed direectly to field office director, requesting urgent review and re-opening, based on errors in adjudication - citing USCIS policy, AFM and memorandums as basis for errors. This was completely ignored by USCIS.

I-751 #3 - June 2021 - Jan 2024 [Denied]

IT'S GROUNDHOG DAY

June 2021: I-751 #3 (30+lbs/5000 pages of paperwork) & another $680 sent to USCIS via FedEx ($300+..thanks) .... 

June 2021: Receipt issued, card charged, biometrics waived, infopass scheduled for I-551 stamp number ten.....

Feb 2022: RFIE (no, not an RFE, a Request For Initial Evidence) received, for copies of the divorce paperwork that they already have 😑

July 2022: Infopass for I-551 stamp number eleven.....

August 2023: Infopass for I-551 stamp number twelve....

January 2024: Denial received, ignoring the overwhelming majority of the filing, abundance of evidence, and refutation of a provably false allegation. The denial also contradicts itself in multiple places, as if it was written by someone with an IQ <50.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

2024: FML. Seriously. I'm done. 

Timeline

If the petition, visa application or AOS would have been denied  you would be here complaining that the gov did not approve you

as many are here to do just that.
Now that your marriage didn't work out you complain that the gov did approve him.

As to the previous posts, if you have concrete evidence of fraud then submit it to USCIS and leave it up to them.
You are just making more drama than you need for yourself by not letting things go.
I suggest counseling to deal with your relationship issues.

Spoiler

NVC Received : some dinkelsberry yehoo in the house of clingons send our petition to the wrong consulate.

Interview Result : AP , requesting another PC (not expired) and certified divorce decree (was submitted)Stokes interview via phone for petitioner 4 hrs after interview.

Email &text : May 18, 2015, check cashed May 19,2015, return receipt May 21, 2015 stamped USCIS Lockbox, NOA1 (3x) May 22,2015

Biometrics : June 1, 2015 letter received for appointment June 8, 2015, successful walk-in June 1, 2015

RFE : June 12, 2015 for income not meeting guideline. Income does ( ! ) exceed guideline.

RFE response : June 26, 2015 returned with a boat load full of financial evidence.

Service request : Aug 12, 2015, letter received that it will be processed within 90 days from receipt of RFE.

UPDATE: Aug 24, 2015, EAD card being produced/ordered. ( 102 days from AOS receipt day and 55 days from RFE response received.) Thank you Jesus !

EAD/AP combo card mailed : Aug 27, 2015, EAD/AP combo card received: Aug 31, 2015

Renewal application send for EAD/AP : May 31,2016 (AOS pending over 1 year). Received June 2, 2016,Notice date June7, 2016, emails,texts, NOA1 hard copy

Service request for pending AOS June 14, 2016, tier 2 said performing background checks.
Expedite request for EAD/AP Aug 3, 2016, Aug10 notification >request was received, assigned, completed. RFE letter requesting evidence for expedite, docs faxed Aug18

*Service request for I-485 Aug 3, 2016, Aug11 notification> request was assigned. Service request Dec 2, 2016.

Second Biometrics appointment letters received for EAD and AOS on Aug 15, 2016 for Aug 17 ( 2 day notice).

Third Biometrics appointment letter received Aug 19, 2016 for Sept. 1, 2016. WTH ?!

Renewal EAD in production notification text and online, expedite successful 4 days after RFE request response was faxed, Aug25mailed,Aug29received.

Sept. 21 Interview, 2 hour interview, we were separated and asked about 50 questions each for an hour each. IO was firm but professional, some smiles.
Several service requests made, contacted Senator and Ombudsman. Background checks still pending.

First K1 denied after 16 month of AP. Refiled. We are a couple since 2009. Not a sprint but a matter of endurance.

4 minutes ago, Ebunoluwa said:

If the petition, visa application or AOS would have been denied  you would be here complaining that the gov did not approve you

Now that your marriage didn't work out you complain that the gov did approve him.

As to the previous posts, if you have concrete evidence of fraud then submit it to USCIS and leave it up to them.
You are just making more drama than you need for yourself by not letting things go.

this is the most sound advice you will get

15 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

You need to take responsibility for your own poor choices you made

and should have spend more time with him to see who he really is. I can not believe you blame the government which you tried so hard to convince with the initial petition and then again the AOS. Seriously it's your fault for picking the wrong guy nobody else's just as I was accountable over a decade ago for petitioning a scammer and guess what I quickly moved on from the drama. I investigated him because I did not ignore red flags and he never made it here. Happy as a lark now with an awesome husband. 

Start taking responsibility for your own choices as a mature adult. So yes I say again move on. 

I did in fact take the time to get to know him but I didn't find out much until after marriage. Not my fault he's scum.

12 hours ago, mindthegap said:

Heres the thing.... something kinda resembling this did happen to me, and y'know what, I absolutely still do say that. 

Maybe. It could be argued that the whole process doesn't work properly and is outdated but it is what it is.

My own immigrant visa interview took just a couple of minutes, and the whole process just over four months form start to finish (and could have been even quicker). Does that mean I wasn't vetted or somehow not worthy of it? 

To keep up an act in a convincing manner for potentially years, generally would mean that you either have to be a seriously good actor, suffering from some serious personality disorder, or ideally both. The people that control this process and conduct these interviews may in many respects be useless, but they aren't totally stupid. To fool your partner, subsequently spouse, plus usually family, friends, colleagues, and then the US govt - all consistently without slipping up or raising red flags -  means serious dedication, and thankfully many people DO get caught out doing this.

If there WERE red flags and you still proceeded, then I am sorry, that is down to you. With all due respect it isn't the governments job to vet your spouse, for the most part they are merely in possession of the information provided to them by you as the petitioner and act accordingly.

The fact is that at the current time, a US citizen has the right to petition for permanent residency for their lawful spouse, and it takes precedent over most other methods for immigration.

That is the law as it currently stands, and you took full advantage of that right afforded to you as a a US citizen. That it went south for the winter at a later date is nothing to do with the law that you took advantage of at the time or somehow automatically means their intentions were less than honourable.

Don't like it or want to change the law? Then use your voice at the ballot box, run for office, or protest in some other manner. 

I have two passports stuffed full of visas from all over the world, and many of us have had multiple foreign relationships - including long distance, as many have on here - in our lifetimes.

Why on earth would that be an automatic red flag?

If they had actually been married and divorced before and lived overseas by virtue of an immigrant visa, then it would have to be declared on their application and you would (should) have known this. There isn't a central database of every persons movements worldwide, so again, how would the US govt know?

No doubt.

However, you also aren't the first to accuse an ex-spouse of fraud. Thankfully we live in a society where an accusation without evidence is just that - an accusation.

If you do actually have evidence of this, then please do present it to USCIS, and if applicable and genuine, they will more than likely act on it.

Loosely paraphrasing lines from Russell Crowe Gladiator was cool on forums for about half a day in 2000.  It doesn't make you sound scary, it makes you sound, well, odd, and could also be construed as a threat.

He has his ROC process to do now involving a divorce waiver, that you are no longer part of it ,and you have made it clear you would not co-operate. I will also point out that if you are seen to be making threats and/or things deliberately difficult, a competent lawyer could perhaps spin that into an abuse waiver (threats regarding immigration against an immigrant spouse can be classed as abuse).

I urge you to focus your energies on moving on with your life as you sound incredibly bitter, which is an entirely understandable, normal and natural reaction initially, but holding onto that will absolute eat you alive from the inside out. 

Lol, I wasn't quoting anyone but cool :P

10 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

I don't have relationship issues. I'm loyal and give as much as I can to help others. I got stuck with a piece of .

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I'm sincerely sorry this happened to you. I try to put myself in your situation and I'd certainly want some guidance on this too. I suggest taking some time out for yourself. Do something nice for yourself. Get in a state of mind where you're caring about your own well being and not necessarily seeking revenge.

Then call a lawyer. Either Family Law or Immigration, but preferably Family Law. The tough part here, as you can see with the posts, is that you will find some people with sympathize with you whereas others will sympathize with your spouse/ex. You need someone who is going to look out for your interests. That's what lawyers are paid to do.

You have rights and you deserve to be made whole due to his Fraud or perhaps Negligence in the marriage. Lawyer-up. Please. That's what I'd do.

I truly hope you'll be able to get past the heartache. It takes time, but you will be happy again, and I hope that it will be someone who deserves you.

~Sofi~

Bismillah

4/11/17: Mailed I-751

4/13/17: Package Arrived, NOA1 dated

4/27/17: Check Cashed

4/29/17: NOA Received

5/6/17:   Bio-metrics Letter Received

5/19/17: Bio-metrics Apointment

Timeline
9 minutes ago, SofisPatience said:

I'm sincerely sorry this happened to you. I try to put myself in your situation and I'd certainly want some guidance on this too. I suggest taking some time out for yourself. Do something nice for yourself. Get in a state of mind where you're caring about your own well being and not necessarily seeking revenge.

Then call a lawyer. Either Family Law or Immigration, but preferably Family Law. The tough part here, as you can see with the posts, is that you will find some people with sympathize with you whereas others will sympathize with your spouse/ex. You need someone who is going to look out for your interests. That's what lawyers are paid to do.

You have rights and you deserve to be made whole due to his Fraud or perhaps Negligence in the marriage. Lawyer-up. Please. That's what I'd do.

I truly hope you'll be able to get past the heartache. It takes time, but you will be happy again, and I hope that it will be someone who deserves you.

Show me one post that sympathizes with her spouse. 

Spoiler

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ebunoluwa said:

Show me one post that sympathizes with her spouse. 

Take a deep breath. Breathe in and out through your nose. 

Read the following very clearly. This is a forum, this is not a WWF ring. I will not be fighting with you. That is pointless. If you don't like my post, that's fine. 

~Sofi~

Bismillah

29 minutes ago, SofisPatience said:

Take a deep breath. Breathe in and out through your nose. 

Read the following very clearly. This is a forum, this is not a WWF ring. I will not be fighting with you. That is pointless. If you don't like my post, that's fine. 

You wrote ostensibly looking for advice, EVERYONE told you to try and move on as the best course of action, yet you rebut every post and say we do not understand your hurt. I agree this is not the WWF but you continue to seek agreement that you should be bitter and seek revenge, if that is truly your choice, do it, hold on to the anger, destroy your inner peace, make fruitless efforts to punish him. It is your life, do as you please, but do not insult people trying to provide you guidance.

Timeline

2 hours ago, Randyandyuni said:

You wrote ostensibly looking for advice, EVERYONE told you to try and move on as the best course of action, yet you rebut every post and say we do not understand your hurt. I agree this is not the WWF but you continue to seek agreement that you should be bitter and seek revenge, if that is truly your choice, do it, hold on to the anger, destroy your inner peace, make fruitless efforts to punish him. It is your life, do as you please, but do not insult people trying to provide you guidance.

anyways....

I hope the OP Got the advice she was looking for. 

~Sofi~

Bismillah

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.