dude9er

Candian Passport Photo From Abroad

21 posts in this topic

Timeline

Thanks for all the responses. I was out for a couple hours last night and still di not get a result. I have access to two places that have the required stamps, Kinkos and Walgreens, however, both tak some pretty poor shots. For some reason my earlobes like to cast a shadow, they are not big or anything, they just act funny, so the photos look like I have a slight mullet.

I have a passport photo taken at Walgreens, it's the best one I have been able to get. There is a very very slight feathering on the right side of my ear, it is skin colored and you would have to look extremely close to even see it (i'm a graphic/web designer, so my eye picks these things up).

Has anyone sent in more than ONE version of their photo so that CANADA can pick which one passes their requirements? I'm considering sending in a few options for them. Is this a good idea. I would just hate to get declined AGAIN!!

I'm in California and my Canadian Passport expired in February, so I'm kinda stuck here.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'll keep trying to find the best photo to appease my homeland.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

ADDENDUM TO CANADA PASSPORT PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

Eyes must be open and clearly visible.

Glasses, including tinted prescription glasses, may be worn as long as the eyes are clearly visible. Sunglasses are unacceptable.

Facial expression must be neutral (not frowning nor smiling) with the mouth closed.

Photos must show both edges of the face clearly.

Photos must show a full front view of face and shoulders squared to the camera.

The face and shoulders image must be centred in the photo.

Photos must reflect/represent natural skin tones.

The length from chin to crown of head (natural top of head) must be 31 mm to 36 mm.

The image must be clear, sharp and in focus.

Photos with shadows on the face or background are unacceptable.

Photos must be taken with uniform lighting and not show shadows or flash reflection on the face and head.

Photos must be taken against a plain, uniform, white or light-coloured background.

Hats or head coverings are not permitted except when worn for religious reasons and only if the full facial features are clearly visible.

Black and white or colour photos are acceptable.

Only the head and shoulders of young children may appear in the photo (e.g. no hands holding the child).

IN ADDITION TO THE AFORE MENTIONED ITEMS , PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING CHANGES;

YOU MAY NOT APPEAR TO HAVE A MULLET

EARLOBES MUST BEHAVE DURING PHOTO SESSION

:devil:

google.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
ADDENDUM TO CANADA PASSPORT PHOTO REQUIREMENTS

IN ADDITION TO THE AFORE MENTIONED ITEMS , PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING CHANGES;

YOU MAY NOT APPEAR TO HAVE A MULLET

EARLOBES MUST BEHAVE DURING PHOTO SESSION

:devil:

LOL

O and don't forget, in order to receive your passport in a timely manner, CutienPurg has to switch to decaf... :P

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Timeline

Alright, here is what I know. I finally got to a point where I thought I had the perfect photo that met all of Passport Canada's regulations, in fact, I had three passport photos that I was going to send to them so they could choose their favorite. I called them on Friday to find out if I was in fact able to send multiple photos and here is what they told me.

1) 90% of all passports coming from Canadians living in the US are declined due to not meeting photo specifications

2) As a result, Passports applications that are coming from the US usually take about 6 months to complete processing

3) The photo must include all of your shoulders, if they are cropped off then your photo will be denied

4) Passport Canada does allow the US 2x2 format, however, in my experience, you will not be able to meet the HEAD min size of 1.25" and include your shoulders in this size of photo

5) Passport Canada informed me that the required commercial stamp on the back of the photo must include the address AND phone number of the photography studio. In fact, they said that the photographer can actually write their information on the back of the photo, in place of the stamp. Passport Canada DOES call the photgrapher to make sure that the photo was not photoshopped and that the commercial photographer is legit.

6) Passport Canada does not accept photos that include a STICKER of the photographer's info

7) You can send multiple photos for them to choose from

Steps to take if your photo is denied and you send them a new photo that follows all guidelines:

1) Send the new photo certified with tracking

2) Write on the envelope your case number "USxxxxx" for their reference

3) Send Passport Canada an email, include your information, your case number AND your certified tracking number, this is very important

4) When passport Canada receives your new photo they treat your application like they just received it, meaning you are at the back of the line or at the bottom of the pile and you must wait until they get to your application. So it can be up to another 10 weeks of waiting.

What I suggest:

Having spent 60 bucks on photos thus far and realizing NONE meet the requirements, I suggest going to a professional photographer, spending the money and getting it right the first time. I have my appointment on Monday and it will cost me $50, what's $110 for a passport photo anyway?

CALL THEM AND ASK PLENTY OF QUESTIONS IF YOU'RE UNSURE ABOUT YOUR PHOTOS!!!

Wow, Passport Canada, Canada's version of homeland security.

Edited by dude9er

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.