dude9er

Candian Passport Photo From Abroad

21 posts in this topic

Timeline

Okay, so I'm trying to renew my Canadian passport from the US. I sent my renewal application to Canada at the end on January of this year and just received notice that my Passport photo does not follow the Canadian guidelines. The size of the photo MUST be 2"x2.75" and here in the states their standard is 2"x2". On top of this I must include the "commercial stamp" on the back on one photo and make sure that my face falls within a 1.25" measurement restriction. This has been virtually impossible to achieve down here. I have yet to find one place that will provide me with a photo that fits into these guidelines. I have spent hours trying to get this right at multiple Passport photo places and have not been able to produce one that is correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to have this done? This has been so difficult for something that should be so bloody simple. Why isn't there a UNIVERSAL passport standard?

This is really my last hope in finding a place to have it done correctly. Here is a list of places I have been (that actually have the required stamp):

1) Kinkos

2) Walgreens

3) JC Pennys

4) Sears (won't do, no stamp)

5) Kinkos again

PLEASE HELP!!! THIS SUCKS!!!

Thanks in advance.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know where you are currently at, but you should be able to go to a camera place that does passport photos... My fiance and I got them done at Wolf Camera, and I'm sure they could customize your size, but probably a little more expensive...

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Oh and I just found this:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/usa/photos.aspx?lang=e

"Photos must be no more than 2 inches wide X 2 3/4 inches long (50 mm X 70 mm) in size. However, Canadians residing in the U.S. may submit American-size photos providing all other requirements are met."

K1 Visa Journey

Met through an MMORPG: April 2005

Met in person: 9/23/2005

He proposed in front of Buckingham fountain: 8/20/2006

Sent I-129: 12/21/06

NOA1: 12/29/06

Touched: 3/27/06 (Happy belated bday to meee :P)

Received Email that they sent NOA2 yesterday!: 3/28/07

NOA2 in ze mail: 4/2/07

Called NVC to see if they have received the case and they haven't :( 4/13/07 and 4/19/07

NVC sent packet to MTL today! 4/24/07 (took 4 weeks from notice date)

MTL sent packet to my lawyer 5/2/07

Lawyer received Packet 3 finally! 5/17/07

Sent Packet 3 5/22/07

Now on the waiting list for an interview! 5/29/2007

Fiance gets his medical done: 7/16/07

Scheduled for Interview!: 10/24/07

Visa arrives!: 10/26/07

Fiance will be entering US: 1/18/08

Married: 2/4/08

Religious Ceremony: 4/5/08

AOS/EAD

Filling Date for AOS/EAD: 4/19/08

NOA: 5/01/08

Biometrics: 5/21/08

CSC Transfer Date 5/29/08

EAD Approved/Card Ordered 6/30/2008

EAD Card Arrived 7/11/2008

Green Card Production 7/23/2008

Removal of Conditions

Filing Date for RoC: 7/13/2010

Check Cashed: 7/15/2010

Timeline

Hi piosenka!! I just found that information too and printed it out. It's funny how the Canadian office that sent me my passport photo decline letter and guideline info did not include this little sizing clause. nice.

Now I just need to find a good quality photo shop that provides that special stamp -- (not all of them do).

Thanks for the help. I'm on a quest!!

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

are you near a Canadian embassy? They can do the photos in the acceptable format as well.

good point piosenka!!! apparently passport canada wasn't reading their own guidelines......shocked? ;)

Okay, so I'm trying to renew my Canadian passport from the US. I sent my renewal application to Canada at the end on January of this year and just received notice that my Passport photo does not follow the Canadian guidelines.
google.gif

I THINK that if you take a passport photo (say from Walgreens or K-mart or something) to the post office (USPS) they will stamp it for you. You can also get your pictures taken at most USPS offices - choose a bigger one or call ahead first to make sure. Some of the smaller ones around here don't offer that particular service.

Mo

timeline.gif

Full timeline can be seen in my profile

PAST - From K-1 to Citizenship (a love story)
K-1: Aug 12, 2006 to Jan 17, 2007 - mailed I-129F
AOS: Feb 26, 2007 - Jul 26, 2007
REMOVING CONDITIONS: May 4, 2009 - Oct 3, 2009
CITIZENSHIP: Nov 27, 2012 - May 9, 2013

Note: I immigrated from Canada, not T&T - the timeline is reflective of this.

PRESENT - IR-5 Story (reuniting a family)
I-130 for Parents - 2013
Aug ?? - mailed I-130 packages for both mother and father
Sept 10 - NOA1 date
Sept 16 - NOA1s received

Feb 25 - got emails saying that the cases had been transferred to another office for processing

Feb 26 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred to my local office for processing

Feb 28 - got emails saying that the cases have been transferred and are being processed

Mar 17 - got email, attached to one case number only, saying that my A number was changed relating to the I-130 filing

Mar 18 - got emails saying that the petitions are approved smile.png

Visit my website Dancing Light Stained Glass Studio to view my work.

are you near a Canadian embassy? They can do the photos in the acceptable format as well.

good point piosenka!!! apparently passport canada wasn't reading their own guidelines......shocked? ;)

Okay, so I'm trying to renew my Canadian passport from the US. I sent my renewal application to Canada at the end on January of this year and just received notice that my Passport photo does not follow the Canadian guidelines.

Seems to me that the last time Passport Canada read its guidelines was in 1982 (when I got my first Canuck passport). Prior to that, the Citizenship Card photos could be used without issues--but afterwards, the CC photos were about 2 mm too small on each side.

:ranting:

(also delinquent in Canuck-passport renewal at the moment--but then, I have a current YANK passport for most international travel)

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I second the suggestion to go to an actual photo place that does passport photos rather than a CVS or a Walgreen's. They'll be able to produce passport photos in any size you need.

K3 Timeline - 2006-11-20 to 2007-03-19

See the comments section in my timeline for full details of my K3 dates, transfers and touches. Also see my Vancouver consulate review and my POE review.

AOS & EAD Timeline

2007-04-16: I-485 and I-765 sent to Chicago (My AOS/EAD checklist)

2007-04-17: Received at Chicago

2007-04-23: NOA1 date (both)

2007-05-10: Biometrics appointment (both - Biometrics review)

2007-06-05: AOS interview letter date

2007-06-13: AOS interview letter received in mail

2007-07-03: EAD card production ordered

2007-07-07: EAD card received! (yay!)

2007-08-23: AOS interview (Documents / Interview review)

2007-08-23: Green card production ordered!!!

2007-08-24: Welcome notice mailed!

2007-08-27: Green card production ordered again... ?

2007-08-28: Welcome notice received!

2007-09-01: Green card received!

Done with USCIS until May 23, 2009!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I don't know if it's been said yet, but what about going to your closet AAA location and have them do the passport photos? That's what I did. Sure, I'm a USC (and therefore, don't have to deal with the different size requirements needed for a Canadian passport), but AAA is probably better staffed and a bit more professional in regards to travel documents than Walgreens or CVS.

Just a thought. ;)

That's odd you were to Kinko's and they couldn't do it. My husband works at Kinko's and they do Canadian passport photos all the time, I dropped him off his lunch last weekend and he was taking a Canadian passport photo when I was in. When they print the photos (at least at his store) every photo is 2" by 2.75" (I think) and then they have a passport trimmer that punches out the picture in a 2" square. I had him take my photos for my K1 visa and he showed me how they do that. For the Canadian passport photos they don't use the standard trimmer is all, you just trim it by hand. If you don't find anything else, call Kinko's again and ask if they can print the photo but not trim it.

Good Luck!

-Eli-

K-1

March 24-06------I129F sent to NSC

March 27-06------NOA1

...5 Months of waiting b/c of IMBRA ridiculousness...

September 5-06--APPROVED!! 162 days!

September 09-06-Received NOA2

January 03-07----Medical and Interview in Vancouver - APPROVED!! 285 days from filing!

January 04-07----POE at Vancouver Int'l Airport

January 12-07----Wedding Day!

AOS & EAD

February 20-07---AOS, EAD sent to Chicago

February 27-07---NOA1

March 15-07------Biometrics Appointment

May 09-07------AOS Interview - Approved pending new sponsor.

June 11-07-------Approved & Green Card Issued

Removal of Conditions

May 11-09--------I-751 Sent via FedEx Overnight

May 15-09--------Receipt date on I-797

June 16-09-------Change of Address Confirmed

...one giant address change/biometrics fuxxup later...

July 28-09--------Biometrics taken (walk-in)

July 29-09--------Touched :)

August 13-09---APPROVAL EMAIL!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Okay, so I'm trying to renew my Canadian passport from the US. I sent my renewal application to Canada at the end on January of this year and just received notice that my Passport photo does not follow the Canadian guidelines. The size of the photo MUST be 2"x2.75" and here in the states their standard is 2"x2". On top of this I must include the "commercial stamp" on the back on one photo and make sure that my face falls within a 1.25" measurement restriction. This has been virtually impossible to achieve down here. I have yet to find one place that will provide me with a photo that fits into these guidelines. I have spent hours trying to get this right at multiple Passport photo places and have not been able to produce one that is correct.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to have this done? This has been so difficult for something that should be so bloody simple. Why isn't there a UNIVERSAL passport standard?

This is really my last hope in finding a place to have it done correctly. Here is a list of places I have been (that actually have the required stamp):

Oh and I just found this:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/usa/photos.aspx?lang=e

"Photos must be no more than 2 inches wide X 2 3/4 inches long (50 mm X 70 mm) in size. However, Canadians residing in the U.S. may submit American-size photos providing all other requirements are met."

I am assuming they weren't worried about the size but the fact that it didn't have a stamp....

mvSuprise-hug.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

That's strange I submitted my passport stuff in Jan and I haven't gotten anything back yet. I got my photos done at Walgreens as well. Think 5 years ago I got them done there as well and never had a problem either...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Well I'll add my two cents and hope it helps. For those of you that have mailed them away in January it will probably take another month or so to get it back, whether approved or rejected for whatever reason. The mail in service is backed up beyond all belief. It's taking about 3 - 4 months to get your passport back.

For the original poster I have no idea of your location (it would help alot) so I could recommend a place to go. If you're close to the canadian border and you're allowed to leave the US just skip across and get photos done in Canada if possible and maybe even apply in a passport office in canada if it's possible. Most photos from the US are rejected due to shadows behind the head or ears. These pictures usually come from walgreens, cvs, etc. I'm surprised the Sears in your area does not stamp the back of the photos as I've seen US pics taken at Sears in Michigan that are the correct size with a stamp on the back. The reason for the stamp is so that the Passport folks know when and where the pic was taken so it shows that it's a recent (within the last year) photo of you. Don't forget that you have to send away your original birth certificate and copies of id signed by the guarantor too or else they send it all back to you. Try a portrait or photo studio. It will definately cost more but might solve the problem

If you have any more questions or anything feel free to ask me. Hope this helps :)

jynx - Canadian Chick

dragnfly - American Dude

July-07-07 - Married in Las Vegas

August-07-08 - CR-1 Visa activated

July-17-10 - Approval notice in mail, Conditions removed

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.