smilei

I-129F May 2017 Filers

11,983 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Spain
Timeline
1 minute ago, Kpetraska said:

Where is vsc? Yeah it seems like everybody's are going to csc. I'm nervous about an rfe bcus of how many people had them this month so far. "/

But honestly how much proof can we give of intent to marry other than statements, photos of the ring and conversations about it? Can't make any real proof or plans if we don't know if and when we'll be approved!

I totally agree with you. I know this is totally necessary to get married there but sometimes the entire process is frustrating. Not only we are showing our private stuff to them, they also are giving RFEs very easily. For example we didn't send any conversation about weddings or rings... because we don't really talk about that. For us it is going to be a 5 minute civil ceremony at the court and that's all. But I understand that other couples may want to do a more prepared ceremony and they are struggling with dates because of all this.

VSC is Vermont Service Center.

K-1 JOURNEY!

05/09/2017 129-f sent
05/12/2017 Received Date
05/16/2017  NOA1

171 days of wait later...

10/27/2017 NOA2 (Notice Date in the hardcopy)

10/30/2017 NOA2 on USCISAPP/E-mail

12/08/2017 - Reached 6 weeks without any notice from NVC. Time to send the NOA2 copy to NVC and figure out what's going on.

12/18/2017 - NVC receives our case and assigns a number

12/21/2017 - Case headed to Spain Embassy in Madrid

01/02/2018 -  Spain Embassy received our 129f packet

01/08/2018 - Packet READY at Embassy - Received Packet 3

05/18/2018 - 4 months waiting to collect all documents... and then, documents sent to the Embassy.

05/30/2018 - Packet 4 received and interview scheduled.

06/13/2018 - Interview at the Embassy // Approved!
06/19/2018 - Visa Received :)
08/10/2018 - POE Chicago

10/16/2018 - Wedding

AoS JOURNEY!

01/07/2019 - AoS, EaD and AP package sent

01/11/2019 - NoA1

6 minutes ago, Kpetraska said:

Where is vsc? Yeah it seems like everybody's are going to csc. I'm nervous about an rfe bcus of how many people had them this month so far. "/

But honestly how much proof can we give of intent to marry other than statements, photos of the ring and conversations about it? Can't make any real proof or plans if we don't know if and when we'll be approved!

VSC = Vermont Service Center

ROC Filing:

4/21/2021 - Sent ROC Package via FedEx

4/22/2021 - FedEx package delivered and signed

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

5/14/2021 - Received NOA1 via mail (NOA1 date: 5/8/2021)

6/9/2021 -  Biometrics waived - Case updated to Fingerprints taken

8 minutes ago, Kpetraska said:

I agree with you both. But I'm finding from the ones that have gotten RFE's thus far is based on those that have only met once and then filed the K1 petition. Yes, that is one of the requirements, only meeting once, but I'm noticing that USCIS wants more proof of ongoing relationship. Normally, that type of proof is more for the interview at the Consulate. But looking at the comments from members about what their RFE's are for, seems to be USCIS is taking a more "complex" or more thorough approach when approving our petitions. Maybe they may be getting "push back" or instructed on how they are approving applications with the bare minimum requirement and need more proof.

Just something I've observed, I could be wrong.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

7 minutes ago, Kirin2002 said:

I totally agree with you. I know this is totally necessary to get married there but sometimes the entire process is frustrating. Not only we are showing our private stuff to them, they also are giving RFEs very easily. For example we didn't send any conversation about weddings or rings... because we don't really talk about that. For us it is going to be a 5 minute civil ceremony at the court and that's all. But I understand that other couples may want to do a more prepared ceremony and they are struggling with dates because of all this.

14 minutes ago, Kpetraska said:

I agree with you both. But I'm finding from the ones that have gotten RFE's thus far is based on those that have only met once and then filed the K1 petition. Yes, that is one of the requirements, only meeting once, but I'm noticing that USCIS wants more proof of ongoing relationship. Normally, that type of proof is more for the interview at the Consulate. But looking at the comments from members about what their RFE's are for, seems to be USCIS is taking a more "complex" or more thorough approach when approving our petitions. Maybe they may be getting "push back" or instructed on how they are approving applications with the bare minimum requirement and need more proof.

Just something I've observed, I could be wrong

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Kirin2002 said:

Exactly! We are about four hours from the ocean so we want to have a small beach wedding with just a few family members but we can't plan any of that without knowing our dates. I wouldn't want to purchase a wedding if for some reason were denied so it is a struggle. Esp if we do get an rfe, then the dates will have to be changed. I wrote on one of the photos of wedding conversations that we hadn't planned  anything yet because we are waiting on the approval to set actual dates so fingers crossed!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Trinab80 said:

I agree with you both. But I'm finding from the ones that have gotten RFE's thus far is based on those that have only met once and then filed the K1 petition. Yes, that is one of the requirements, only meeting once, but I'm noticing that USCIS wants more proof of ongoing relationship. Normally, that type of proof is more for the interview at the Consulate. But looking at the comments from members about what their RFE's are for, seems to be USCIS is taking a more "complex" or more thorough approach when approving our petitions. Maybe they may be getting "push back" or instructed on how they are approving applications with the bare minimum requirement and need more proof.

Just something I've observed, I could be wrong

My fiance and I have only met one. "/ But we've been talking for a long time and he spent an entire month here when he visited. It's hard to spend more time together because currently flights from England are $1,000 and up! It's hard to afford all of that, plus the k1 fees and getting time off work and school. It's just not possible right now. Hopefully they won't rfe us because we've only met once. People don't pay $535 for a piece of paper just to be denied "/ gahh I hope it works out. 

15 minutes ago, Kpetraska said:

My fiance and I have only met one. "/ But we've been talking for a long time and he spent an entire month here when he visited. It's hard to spend more time together because currently flights from England are $1,000 and up! It's hard to afford all of that, plus the k1 fees and getting time off work and school. It's just not possible right now. Hopefully they won't rfe us because we've only met once. People don't pay $535 for a piece of paper just to be denied "/ gahh I hope it works out. 

Listen I totally understand. Round trip ticket to Jamaica is between $500-750.00, because it depends on their peak season since it's a heavily tourist country.

Last year, I ran out of vacation in September and had to take 2 unpaid days because I went to go see him for a quick trip in November. Right now, I'm doing my best to hold at least a week's worth of vacation days, normally I would have made at least 4 trips between January and now (like quick weekend trips). But I'm trying to hold on to days so I can attend his interview and also fly back with him, simply because he was denied entry using his tourist visa last year which was cancelled at POE simply because he said he was spending the Thanksgiving holiday with his fiance and they used that as an excuse to say that they thought he would try and overstay and get married on a B2 tourist visa (it's a lonnng and emotionally draining story, but we lost money of plane tickets and the visa fee he paid because he couldn't even use the tourist visa). And because of the way he was treated; I vowed to make sure I'm there for the interview and POE. But again, that's more money out of pocket. I've been promising my son that I would take him the next time I go so he can meet him in person, but that requires double the amount of plane ticket and having to stay at a hotel because his "apartment" is like a small studio. So for now, they talk with chat and video. And let's not forget, we're trying to plan a small intimate wedding/reception in November which is tough because of no guarantee. And then still have to be ready for filing the AOS which is over $1k.

So, I get the frustration. Sometimes,I think I will welcome a RFE just to know that they touched and looked at our petition but at the same time, AS MUCH PROOF AS I PUT IN THE PETITION, what more can they possibly want as proof. But, all we can do is wait and pray that things will go smoothly and get approved. 

Sorry I typed so much...I guess I was kinda venting the frustration. The process bottom line....SUCKS!

Edited by Trinab80

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Timeline
1 minute ago, Trinab80 said:

Listen I totally understand. Round trip ticket to Jamaica is between $500-750.00, because it depends on their peak season since it's a heavily tourist country.

Last year, I ran out of vacation in September and had to take 2 unpaid days because I went to go see him for a quick trip in November. Right now, I'm doing my best to hold at least a week's worth of vacation days, normally I would have made at least 4 trips between January and now (like quick weekend trips). But I'm trying to hold on to days so I can attend his interview and also fly back with him, simply because he was denied entry using his tourist visa last year which was cancelled and because of the way he was treated; I vowed to make sure I'm there for the interview and POE. But again, that's more money out of pocket. I've been promising my son that I would take him the next time I go so he can meet him in person, but that requires double the amount of plane ticket and having to stay at a hotel because his "apartment" is like a small studio. So for now, they talk with chat and video. And let's not forget, we're trying to plan a small intimate wedding/reception in November which is tough because of no guarantee. And then still have to be ready for filing the AOS which is over $1k.

So, I get the frustration. Sometimes,I think I will welcome a RFE just to know that they touched and looked at our petition but at the same time, AS MUCH PROOF AS I PUT IN THE PETITION, what more can they possibly want as proof. But, all we can do is wait and pray that things will go smoothly and get approved. 

Sorry I typed so much...I guess I was kinda venting the frustration. The process bottom line....SUCKS!

Vent away! That's why we're all here ❤❤ wait to affidavit of support is over 1k? How is that possible? 

And I know what you mean about the apartment thing. I just moved to NC last year and still live with my grandmother.  So we have to get hotels also because she doesn't  like us staying at her place for the whole month which is  understandable. I'm on waiting list for an apartment but I won't take the apartment until we get the approval, that way I don't just get this apartment to be on my own without my fiance's help. And that's another reason why we can't buy plain tickets, the finances with this new apartment will be high. I have to get all new furniture and he won't be here to help me. He's paying for filing fees and plane tickets and I'm paying for everything we'll need here in the US. 

But the aos is really that expensive? 😢 When do we know it's time to fill that out?

Just now, Kpetraska said:

Vent away! That's why we're all here ❤❤ wait to affidavit of support is over 1k? How is that possible? 

And I know what you mean about the apartment thing. I just moved to NC last year and still live with my grandmother.  So we have to get hotels also because she doesn't  like us staying at her place for the whole month which is  understandable. I'm on waiting list for an apartment but I won't take the apartment until we get the approval, that way I don't just get this apartment to be on my own without my fiance's help. And that's another reason why we can't buy plain tickets, the finances with this new apartment will be high. I have to get all new furniture and he won't be here to help me. He's paying for filing fees and plane tickets and I'm paying for everything we'll need here in the US. 

But the aos is really that expensive? 😢 When do we know it's time to fill that out?

AOS also stands for Adjustment of Status....which has to be filed after you get married so they can become a permanent lawful resident. AOS which is the Affidavit of Support is free.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Trinab80 said:

AOS also stands for Adjustment of Status....which has to be filed after you get married so they can become a permanent lawful resident. AOS which is the Affidavit of Support is free.

I've just looked up qualifications for the affidavit of support form. It says for two ppl household you have to make like $20,000 a year. I'm not sure I've made that this year or last year because I was out of work for a few months. But I have like $11,000 in my savings. So I have the money, I just don't know if I qualify. Do you know how I can know for sure? I wouldn't want him to get here and then them say sorry you haven't made enough money.

3 minutes ago, Kpetraska said:

I just moved into a new apartment on May 1st, which is why I waited to file the petition so that the new address would be on the petition; and this way this apartment would be like "our apartment" (old apartment was previously shared with my ex...plus new landlord who was horrible and I'm putting that lightly). I figured new place for the both of us, but I agree, it's costly. 

When I go visit him, really doesn't want me to stay at this place because basically, it's like a "flat" or one shack that was split into like 3 small rooms that shares with his cousins. The bathroom is an out house and the shower is like a make-shift shower stall outside the house. The first time I went to see him, he wanted us to stay in a guesthouse or hotel and I told him no, if he can do it, so can I just as long as he's with me (keep in mind, I was born in NY, and 100% city girl, so this is NOT what I'm accustomed to). But I did it because I accept him and everything he has or does not have to offer and I can tell he's embarrassed every time I come, and I didn't want either of us to spend anymore unnecessary money on hotels. He'll take a day off to straighten, fix, and clean up the yard before I come even though I'm comfortable now. However, my son won't not be comfortable. But try explaining to a child why he can't go on vacation and how expensive it is just for me to go...that's like talking to a hole in a wall.

And now, this process is financially and emotionally training. But in the end, it's gonna be worth it. That's what I keep telling myself every day!

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

1 minute ago, Kpetraska said:

I've just looked up qualifications for the affidavit of support form. It says for two ppl household you have to make like $20,000 a year. I'm not sure I've made that this year or last year because I was out of work for a few months. But I have like $11,000 in my savings. So I have the money, I just don't know if I qualify. Do you know how I can know for sure? I wouldn't want him to get here and then them say sorry you haven't made enough money.

Did you file taxes the past 2 years? Do you still have your W2's? You can use the amount from your savings and combine it with other assets and income to get you over the poverty threshold. Or get a sponsor that will make enough and is willing to sponsor you and your fiance.

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I am so glad I found your profile.  I am experiencing a lot of the same things and this helps. I want to take my daughter as well but as you said, double the miney.  I just received a notice by email that they received our I129. They first made us send another money order because they said the 1st one was smudged. Thanks for sharing so much of your story. 

1 minute ago, Mysstownsemd said:

I am so glad I found your profile.  I am experiencing a lot of the same things and this helps. I want to take my daughter as well but as you said, double the miney.  I just received a notice by email that they received our I129. They first made us send another money order because they said the 1st one was smudged. Thanks for sharing so much of your story. 

Welcome and congrats on starting your journey. It looks like you're a June filer, so make sure to join that forum as well so that you can stay up to date with the rest of the June filers as you get closer to your month for review. However, you're more than welcome to stay and chat and share with us.

And you're welcome! If you have any questions feel free to send me a message. Good luck on your journey! :)

ROC Filing:

5/11/2021 - Check cashed

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Thank you and best of luck!!! Headed back in August.

I looked for similar timelines and it brought your profile up. I'll look at the June's as well. 💙

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.