IAMX

Epidemic of non-drug/alcohol using teenagers & young adults with cirrhotic livers and T2 diabetes

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
4 hours ago, IAMX said:

I imagine some sort of acidosis through excess ketones but for the most part your body needs very few unless one is an athlete or bodybuilder. 

Ever heard of rabbit starvation? There are many ways consuming too much protein and not enough fat or carbs can kill you. Carbs are key for energy, concentration, recovery and better fluid balance. Fats also give you energy, but also support cell growth and help absorb nutrients among other things. Eating protein but no carbs or fat is kinda like changing your engine oil but not filling the tank up with gas :D 

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!

Timeline
53 minutes ago, OriZ said:

Ever heard of rabbit starvation? There are many ways consuming too much protein and not enough fat or carbs can kill you. Carbs are key for energy, concentration, recovery and better fluid balance. Fats also give you energy, but also support cell growth and help absorb nutrients among other things. Eating protein but no carbs or fat is kinda like changing your engine oil but not filling the tank up with gas :D 

It's funny, I've been on a ketogenic diet with less than 20g of protein a day, and not only did I quickly lose the 20 pounds I gained, but have had no issues whatsoever with low/moderate activity. Having sufficient protein and natural fat (i.e. from almonds, eggs, peanuts, lean meat, etc.) gives the body more than enough fuel not only to maintain body function but to prevent muscle degradation. I wouldn't suggest the same diet for everyone, but I've kept an eye on how terribly we've had a grasp on what's really healthy.

For example, look at what the government recommends:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/index.php

For a 34 year old, 5ft11 180 pound male with low activity they recommend a whopping 300-500g of carbs and nearly 3,000 cals. Absolutely insane.

My diet right now.. less than 20g of carbs a day, 100-120g of protein, 60-180g of fat, 1200-1800 cals a day. And I've felt way better than I did when I put on 20 pounds eating ~ 100-200g of carbs a day, less than 50g of protein, etc. It's mainly the effect with protein laden foods that curb satiety. Not only do carb foods mess with the brains reward pathway (psychological), but they stimulate ghrelin production that increases a person's desire to eat more (satiety trigger - physiological). 

The problem one can run into is if they're having very low carbs, low cals, and low protein.. in which case, the stored energy within the muscles will wind up being burned too and result in severe muscle weakness+degradation. I have no advice for anyone with underlying metabolic issues like your SO, but for a normal person, or even likely an obese person, if either of which do not engage in severe exercise or bodybuilding, they need practically no carbs per day as long as they are on a decent protein and moderate/high fat diet. Low cals tends to go hand in hand with this diet because of the significantly slower digestive process of protein, one will remain having the hormone ghrelin suppressed that much longer, whereas those eating carb foods will soon find themselves hungry again.

Edited by IAMX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline
2 hours ago, IAMX said:

It's funny, I've been on a ketogenic diet with less than 20g of protein a day, and not only did I quickly lose the 20 pounds I gained, but have had no issues whatsoever with low/moderate activity. Having sufficient protein and natural fat (i.e. from almonds, eggs, peanuts, lean meat, etc.) gives the body more than enough fuel not only to maintain body function but to prevent muscle degradation. I wouldn't suggest the same diet for everyone, but I've kept an eye on how terribly we've had a grasp on what's really healthy.

For example, look at what the government recommends:

https://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/interactiveDRI/index.php

For a 34 year old, 5ft11 180 pound male with low activity they recommend a whopping 300-500g of carbs and nearly 3,000 cals. Absolutely insane.

My diet right now.. less than 20g of carbs a day, 100-120g of protein, 60-180g of fat, 1200-1800 cals a day. And I've felt way better than I did when I put on 20 pounds eating ~ 100-200g of carbs a day, less than 50g of protein, etc. It's mainly the effect with protein laden foods that curb satiety. Not only do carb foods mess with the brains reward pathway (psychological), but they stimulate ghrelin production that increases a person's desire to eat more (satiety trigger - physiological). 

The problem one can run into is if they're having very low carbs, low cals, and low protein.. in which case, the stored energy within the muscles will wind up being burned too and result in severe muscle weakness+degradation. I have no advice for anyone with underlying metabolic issues like your SO, but for a normal person, or even likely an obese person, if either of which do not engage in severe exercise or bodybuilding, they need practically no carbs per day as long as they are on a decent protein and moderate/high fat diet. Low cals tends to go hand in hand with this diet because of the significantly slower digestive process of protein, one will remain having the hormone ghrelin suppressed that much longer, whereas those eating carb foods will soon find themselves hungry again.

I am not sure what you consider low/moderate activity, but I actually do consume probably anywhere from 2,000-3,000 calories a day and my weight never changes. As I've mentioned before in a different thread I'm also not afraid of fat. I'm a little more careful with carbs, but I do try to have some. Your ketogenic diet makes perfect sense because it is a high fat, adequate protein, low carb diet. As I said I'm not afraid of fat and it's entirely possible to consume alot of fat and lose weight. I gave as an example before the situation with the "fat free" half half, where they use milk and high fructose corn syrup. I'd rather just have cream because the corn syrup turns into fat and is worse for you anyway. I also don't go any lower than 2% fat milk...no skim thank you. However still a lower fat intake than yours, for sure. I definitely do more than 20g carbs per day. I don't know how you can stay that low...must give up on alot of things :P As far as protein, about half what you do. We also never count calories, we look at labels for the ingredients...if they are mostly(doesn't always have to be all of them) high quality ingredients that aren't terrible for you, then we're good... 

Protein/Amino Acids can do wonders for your body. However, it is very individual. For some, an excessive amount of certain amino acids can cause issues. For example people with a compromised liver should watch to make sure they don't end up with ammonia build up. However, I'm not sure would you mean about underlying metabolic issues - her conditions aren't really related to that. 

09/14/2012: Sent I-130
10/04/2012: NOA1 Received
12/11/2012: NOA2 Received
12/18/2012: NVC Received Case
01/08/2013: Received Case Number/IIN; DS-3032/I-864 Bill
01/08/2013: DS-3032 Sent
01/18/2013: DS-3032 Accepted; Received IV Bill
01/23/2013: Paid I-864 Bill; Paid IV Bill
02/05/2013: IV Package Sent
02/18/2013: AOS Package Sent
03/22/2013: Case complete
05/06/2013: Interview Scheduled

06/05/2013: Visa issued!

06/28/2013: VISA RECEIVED

07/09/2013: POE - EWR. Went super fast and easy. 5 minutes of waiting and then just a signature and finger print.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

05/06/2016: One month late - overnighted form N-400.

06/01/2016: Original Biometrics appointment, had to reschedule due to being away.

07/01/2016: Biometrics Completed.

08/17/2016: Interview scheduled & approved.

09/16/2016: Scheduled oath ceremony.

09/16/2016: THE END - 4 year long process all done!