Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,156 posts in this topic

50 minutes ago, nyoleg said:

i travel with stamp I-551 in my passport, never had any problems

This thread is about expired greencard and extension letter for I-751. I-551 stamp is another beast, but thank you for your input.

Edited by OldUser

Apologies if this was answered before.

In various posts I've seen there are I-551 stamp...a stamp on your passport to extend you GC while waiting for the I-751, correct?

Is that still a thing? How do I get one?

1 hour ago, Ronnie12345 said:

Apologies if this was answered before.

In various posts I've seen there are I-551 stamp...a stamp on your passport to extend you GC while waiting for the I-751, correct?

Is that still a thing? How do I get one?

Call USCIS and get an info pass appointment. Yes, it's a stamp in passport, only needed if you lost green card / I-751 extension letter or letter expired.

Edited by OldUser

Canada now allows US LPRs entering the country without eTA. Valid passport + expired GC + I-751 extension letter is all you need to enter Canada.

My experience is below.

Flight #1 (got cancelled due to weather).

Obviously, could not check in online or using machines. Had to see a human.

The airline agent took a while checking my GC, extension letter, could not do the math for 24 month extension and was generally confused. Asked her manager help, who sorted it out.

Flight #2 (successful one).

Ironically, the agent who checked me in and was super knowledgable and quick worked at Pet Check-In desk.

Upon arrival in Canada, went through automated system (passport scanned and photo taken). The border control officer neither was interested in seeing my passport nor green card. Just asked for the purpose of my visit. That's it. To be continued...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

machines. Had to see a human.

The airline agent took a while checking my GC, extension letter, could not do the math for 24 month extension and was generally confused

Wow you got a winner. 

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

Upon arrival in Canada, went through automated system (passport scanned and photo taken). The border control officer neither was interested in seeing my passport nor green card. Just asked for the purpose of my visit.

Did you use the ArriveCAN’t app?

Timeline
27 minutes ago, OldUser said:

No, but I'll give it a try next time.

No no.  It needs to die. I was just curious. 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline
23 hours ago, updown said:

When I arrived back in the States, I went through Global Entry and the officer asked to see and check my USCIS Extension Letter. It was very quick and they were satisfied.

What document did you use at the Global Entry kiosk? When I tried to use my expired green card, it wouldn't accept it. So I have been going through the regular lines. 

N400

8/27/2022 - Submitted N-400 Online

8/27/2022 - Receipt notice mailed, biometrics reused, case actively being reviewed (~ 10 months)

1/20/2023 - Interview was scheduled (2/24)

2/23/2023 - Interview completed & passed but decision cannot be made. 

3/16/2023 - We recommended that your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization, be approved. Your case was submitted for quality review.

3/16/2023 - Oath Ceremony will be Scheduled 

3/20/2023 - Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

4/11/2023 - Oath complete, naturalization certificate issued. 

ROC, joint filing 

8/5/2021 - Package delivered to Phoenix lockbox, signed by LOPEZ

8/7/2021 - Credit card charged for $680

8/7/2021 - Text message received with case # (LIN / Nebraska)

8/14/2021 - Extension letter received 

9/15/2021 - Biometrics waiver received 

11/4/2021 - 24 month extension letter received 

2/16/2023 - New Card is Being Produced

2/20/2023 - Approval letter received

2/24/2023 - Card was delivered

AOS, concurrent filing I-130 I-131 I-485 I-765. Same-sex marriage
11/23/18 - Package delivered to Chicago lockbox.
11/30/18 - Checks cashed.
12/14/18 - I-693 courtesy letter received in mail
12/28/18 - Biometrics completed.
2/11/19 - Ready to be scheduled for an interview
3/28/19 - Paper notice approval for I-765 and I-131
4/9/19, 4/16, 4/18 - I-765 card production ordered. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/23/19 - I-765 Card was mailed to me. I-131 - "Case Received".
4/25/19 - Combo card received. I-131 - "Case Received"

9/9/19 - Interview was scheduled 

9/14/19 - Interview notice received - Interview on 10/24 at Minneapolis FO 

10/24/19 - Interview complete. Case under review. 

10/25/19 - I-485 card being produced & then approved. I-130 approved. 

10/30/19 - Card received. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Vpanda85 said:

What document did you use at the Global Entry kiosk? When I tried to use my expired green card, it wouldn't accept it. So I have been going through the regular lines. 

Some if not most modern GE kiosks reportedly are facial recognition only or facial recognition primary. Thus, reportedly they don’t need a green card to accept an LPR.  

I  have GE but my wife doesn’t so I haven’t used GE in years.  I have however used  the general kiosks at Miami cruise port and they just wanted my face (U.S. citizen) and my wife’s face (green card).  

21 minutes ago, Vpanda85 said:

I had my UK Passport in hand, Global Entry Card and Expired Green Card, but I arrived at LAX and the kiosks there use facial recognition. I was flagged to see the officer as they must've known my GC has expired, so they asked to see the letter (which was also in my hand). 

It's exactly as Mike E said too 👇 

12 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Some if not most modern GE kiosks reportedly are facial recognition only or facial recognition primary. Thus, reportedly they don’t need a green card to accept an LPR.  

I  have GE but my wife doesn’t so I haven’t used GE in years.  I have however used  the general kiosks at Miami cruise port and they just wanted my face (U.S. citizen) and my wife’s face (green card).  

Has anyone travelled to Costa Rica with Expired Greencard and the I-751 Receipt Extension letter?

Their Consulate website mentions that anyone with a valid US visa does not require Costa Rica travel visa but in the fine print, they had mentioned that the Green card should be valid at least for 3 months and receipt notice extensions are not accepted. Just wanted to see if anyone had experienced this scenario

Has anyone been able to enter Mexico with the expired green card and extension letter? I know about some airlines not accepting it to enter Mexico but I would do it by land. Any insight will help!

23 minutes ago, Marie & Alexander said:

Has anyone been able to enter Mexico with the expired green card and extension letter? I know about some airlines not accepting it to enter Mexico but I would do it by land. Any insight will help!

I hope extension letter is still valid? If so, should be fine. 

Also see this thread

Timeline
4 hours ago, Marie & Alexander said:

We’ve done it a couple times by land.  

At the land port where we entered on foot (Nogales) there was  no passport / document check entering Mexico both times.   On return to the U.S., CBP checked for green card and extension letter. 

If you drive in, I suppose it is  a different story. Not an option for us. Our auto insurance doesn’t let us  drive into Mexico, and I wouldn’t do that regardless. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.