Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,156 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, raviandquesty said:

Hi All -

has anyone left the US and realized too late they had forgotten their extension paperwork. I came back to Canada for the weekend and I’m flying back to the US tomorrow. I just realized I have forgotten my extension paperwork, but have photos on my phone and I have my expired GC with me. 

I’ve never had this happen before and I’m not sure what to expect. It would be pre-clearance in Canada. 

The airline might issue you a boarding pass but I would forget about checking a bag.  

Prepare yourself for denial of boarding and traveling to port of entry on the border.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

The airline might issue you a boarding pass but I would forget about checking a bag.  

Prepare yourself for denial of boarding and traveling to port of entry on the border.  

That’s what I was afraid of. Worst case scenario I can have my husband fly up the letter but that’s a more complicated solution. 

2 hours ago, raviandquesty said:

That’s what I was afraid of. Worst case scenario I can have my husband fly up the letter but that’s a more complicated solution. 

That's probably the easiest solution, considering the alternative is crossing by land or obtaining I-131A

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi All,

I have I-751 filed for CR1 category. My 24 month GC extension expires in a few months but still haven't heard anything about interview or another extension. I also filed for N400 in January 2022 so expecting a combo interview. I am planning to go out of the country while the 24 month extension expires. I called uscis to get an infopass appt to see if maybe they can give me an I-551 stamp, but the agent said they can give me the appointment only 60 days before the GC expiry date. Any suggestions from the experienced would be really appreciated. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

Hi All,

I have I-751 filed for CR1 category. My 24 month GC extension expires in a few months but still haven't heard anything about interview or another extension. I also filed for N400 in January 2022 so expecting a combo interview. I am planning to go out of the country while the 24 month extension expires. I called uscis to get an infopass appt to see if maybe they can give me an I-551 stamp, but the agent said they can give me the appointment only 60 days before the GC expiry date. Any suggestions from the experienced would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Would you be able to get a stamp closer to your departure date within 60 days of extenstion letter expiration? Maybe do that.

Or you suggesting you're leaving soon and staying overseas for a long period of time (30+ days)?  Did you have your biometrics appointment for N-400 already?

Edited by OldUser

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
16 minutes ago, OldUser said:

Would you be able to get a stamp closer to your departure date within 60 days of extenstion letter expiration? Maybe do that.

Or you suggesting you're leaving soon and staying overseas for a long period of time (30+ days)?  Did you have your biometrics appointment for N-400 already?

I leave a few days before the 60 days timeframe, so I might have to change my flight if needed. I am staying overseas from mid November to mid Feb, so yes more than 30 days. I did have the biometrics appt for N-400 already in Feb but no news on that.

4 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

I leave a few days before the 60 days timeframe, so I might have to change my flight if needed. I am staying overseas from mid November to mid Feb, so yes more than 30 days. I did have the biometrics appt for N-400 already in Feb but no news on that.

Leaving without I-551 stamp and trying to return with expired GC and expired extension letter will likely cause issues. You'll have to file I-131A etc. Better change dates of travel to avoid it or convince USCIS to give you that stamp earlier (not sure if anybody had experience with this). Also make sure your trip will not disrupt your N-400 residency requirements.

22 hours ago, Unicorn said:

I am planning to go out of the country while the 24 month extension expires.

Don't do this!  As advised above, return before your extension letter expires or do everything possible to get an I-551 stamp from USCIS before you travel.  Here is a report from a VJ member whose husband was denied boarding with an expired extension letter -- https://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/784906-husband-denied-boaring-for-expired-green-card-while-1-751-is-in-process/

On 7/28/2022 at 7:18 AM, digitalplumbing said:

I have Global Entry and my entry interaction with the immigration officer was about 3 seconds, when getting back into the country. Only the airline agent cared about the extension letter when checking us in/giving us our boarding passes.

Can you elaborate please? Did you go through Global Entry kiosk or normal line? If kiosk, was it using facial recognition? 

On 7/5/2022 at 8:20 AM, Reed1812 said:

Travelled from London Heathrow to Houston TX yesterday. Was unable to check in online so had to see the attendant at Heathrow and got checked in no problem

Arrived at Houston and the officer scanned my greencard, took my picture and finger prints and let me through. He only asked how long I had been out of the US, he did not want to see the letter. There was no being moved to secondary screening either.

Absolutely no problems either side. Same with Dallas when I flew in Feb 22

Travelled again back to the UK. Absolutely no problems at all with the extension letter. Immigration took less than 1 minute.

5 hours ago, digitalplumbing said:

I did go through the Global Entry Lin. The kiosk was using facial recognition.

That's super valuable information, thank you! Did you have to somehow enter extension letter information into the system? Like update profile on GE website or stop by their office?

1 hour ago, OldUser said:

That's super valuable information, thank you! Did you have to somehow enter extension letter information into the system? Like update profile on GE website or stop by their office?

You do not need to. Your Green Card (and by extension your A-number) is the identifier for Global Entry. So I am guessing, when you go to the kiosk and start the entry process, it scans your face, matches it to your A-number and validates the status.

I applied for ROC in January 2021 service center is MSC. The status is "ready to be scheduled for an interview" since November 2021. I have 24 months extension on my expired green card which is valid until February 23, 2023(feb next year). We are going for an overseas trip next month and coming back in November. Would this be problem on the way back. I'll still have 3 months of extension left when we will come back in November but i'm worried if it will cause any problems on the way back. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.