Derwood

Traveling on Extension Letter?

1,156 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Hello! 

Sorry if this has been answered but there are alot of pages to read through! Hahha

My husband never recieved his physical green card. Our extension letter is on the way! Can we travel with just his passport and the letter!?!?! He's visa in his passport is expired! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
4 hours ago, SummerF said:

Hello! 

Sorry if this has been answered but there are alot of pages to read through! Hahha

My husband never recieved his physical green card. Our extension letter is on the way! Can we travel with just his passport and the letter!?!?! He's visa in his passport is expired! 

No. He needs an I-551 stamp. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Mike E said:

No. He needs an I-551 stamp. 

Okay so we just have to make an info pass appointment for that? What if I have his I 90 letter? The only field office is over 3 hours so I'm just hoping to avoid that. Hahaa 

Timeline
Just now, SummerF said:

Okay so we just have to make an info pass appointment for that?

yes. 

Just now, SummerF said:

What if I have his I 90 letter?

The airline won’t let him board the flight back to the USA.  

If traveling by land, CBP will let him in but might make him file I-193 and might make him pay the fee.  Or CBP might give him an I-90 stamp.  

Just now, SummerF said:

The only field office is over 3 hours so I'm just hoping to avoid that. Hahaa 

Presumably where you are living  is also more than 3 hours away.  

An alternative would be to request a re-entry permit (I-131). Since his biometrics are likely current, he likely would not hate to drive 3 hours for that, and the entire process would be done over the mail.  The permit has a fee and it can take months to get.  

I heard from a poster here that if your extension letter is not expired your passport will not be stamped. It might be in the previous pages, I will repost when I find it. 

4 hours ago, SummerF said:

Okay so we just have to make an info pass appointment for that? What if I have his I 90 letter? The only field office is over 3 hours so I'm just hoping to avoid that. Hahaa 

Can someone very this please? Preferably who traveled already. No need to get a stamp when your extension letter is valid?

Screenshot_20220714-124718_Chrome.jpg

Timeline
5 hours ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

Can someone very this please? Preferably who traveled already. No need to get a stamp when your extension letter is valid?

Okay awesome! So you think we won't even get one? Can we still travel though? 

Timeline
6 hours ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

The situation is the LPR never received a green card. 

Is that your situation?

3 hours ago, Mike E said:

The situation is the LPR never received a green card. 

Is that your situation?

No. But my gc is expired. 

5 hours ago, SummerF said:

Okay awesome! So you think we won't even get one? Can we still travel though? 

Call USCIS first and verify.

Timeline
8 hours ago, Southern_Belle07 said:

Call USCIS first and verify.

Yeah thats what i figured. I will call today! Thanks! 

Yeah he never received it  😒 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

So right now, my wife and step-son are in Brazil at the moment.  They both have the expired green card and the 24 month extension letter in hand.  Should be no issues, correct?  From what Ibread no I-551 stamp required.  I also sent our marriage certificate to her since her married name isnt on her plane ticket.  Plane ticket name matches the passport name. 

Timeline
11 hours ago, Ed&Midori1031 said:

So right now, my wife and step-son are in Brazil at the moment.  They both have the expired green card and the 24 month extension letter in hand.  Should be no issues, correct?  From what Ibread no I-551 stamp required.  I also sent our marriage certificate to her since her married name isnt on her plane ticket.  Plane ticket name matches the passport name. 

As long as the extension letter is not expired, legally the airline can board them without penalty.  Whether the airline will or not depends on the education level of the airline worker. 

On 7/15/2022 at 9:20 AM, Ed&Midori1031 said:

I just flew back into the US yesterday with an expired green card and the letter, I didn't change my last name when I got married. Granted, I was traveling with my husband and the agent just asked what's our relationship and we said we're married and he just asked what food we bought abroad and said welcome home. 

ROC timeline

Delivered: 3/1/22

Text with receipt number: 3/3/22

Biometrics Reuse notice: 07/14/2022

N400

Filed online 01/14/2023

Biometrics Reuse notice: 01/14/2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.