jae

Assets

13 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

SO big question, as a note I have read the other topic...to poor to be in love, this is yet a bit different. Preferring to file w/o co sponsor, my questions are about the I-134. If my assets are enough to support at 125% poverty level for 3 years (based on spouse), will this be sufficient? I have not had work in past 5 years (except for a short stint of 7 mos. 3 years ago and unpaid internships and volunteerships in my career field) nor have I needed to file taxes in past 3. I am a bit worried these will be a red flag when listed on the G-325a. I have been living in Germany the last 3 years w my boyfriend now fiancé. I had left the US 5 yrs ago for Europe, previously I had a great job and savings that allowed me to walk away from the rat race to further my education. I completed my masters overseas and spent last year studying german, in hopes of getting a job there. No luck, have returned to the US as the job market seems better. I am still searching for work and have been offered a temp job (5 mos/ 4days a week) in my field, but not to start b4 July. I am still seeking permanent employment but not looking so good in my field, museum work. My fiancé hoped to come over but the closer we look at the paperwork (specifically affidavits), the more depressing it seems as so much seems to rely on my INCOME! Any advice?

AOS

07/08/08 - filed AOS

02/23/09 - greencard received

for more details see my timeline

If you don't have sufficient income, you will need to get a co-sponsor. You might consider a job that is not in your field, just so you have an income.

YOU NEED INCOME! Without a co-sponsor, your visa will be denied. You have to show the financial ability to pay for yourself & your fiance, so that he will not become a burden for the US. If you do not prove this, the visa will be denied.

Maybe you have family or friends that would be willing to be a co-sponsor?

12140.gif

You need steady income. It is fine if you have significant assest, which are valued at 125% over the poverty guidelines for 2007, but what the consulate is looking at, is in the "immediate" future (i.e. from the day your fiancee arrives on US soil) can you support him/her? That is why you need a job, providing you with regular income. The way they[consulates] look at it, your assets could be tied-up in such a way that it could take days/weeks/months to liquidate, during which time your fiancee could become a public charge....this is what they are trying to make sure doesn't happen...so you will need a steady income or co-sponsor by the time your application gets to the consulate stage. The assets are used in support of income to complete the financial "picture" if you will, but alone they will not be convincing.

Good luck!

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
You need steady income. It is fine if you have significant assest, which are valued at 125% over the poverty guidelines for 2007, but what the consulate is looking at, is in the "immediate" future (i.e. from the day your fiancee arrives on US soil) can you support him/her? That is why you need a job, providing you with regular income. The way they[consulates] look at it, your assets could be tied-up in such a way that it could take days/weeks/months to liquidate, during which time your fiancee could become a public charge....this is what they are trying to make sure doesn't happen...so you will need a steady income or co-sponsor by the time your application gets to the consulate stage. The assets are used in support of income to complete the financial "picture" if you will, but alone they will not be convincing.

Good luck!

Keep in mind assets are counted at 1/3 of their value as compared to income, so if income falls below poverty line then adding assets to make up the difference the assets need to be 3 times income. Example: if your income is $1000 short of the 125% line, then $3000 in assets are needed to make the difference. The 3 times comes from the theory that the immigrant may be able to attain citizenship withing 3 years of getting green-card, and then affidavit of support is no longer needed.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: Timeline

YuAndDan,

For an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, yes. But for a non-immigrant visa, including the K visas, there is no such guideline. A particular consulate may establish a guideline for treatment of assets on its' own, or a partucular consular officer may establish their own guideline, but if they do it need not be the same 1/3 guideline.

Yodrak

Keep in mind assets are counted at 1/3 of their value as compared to income, so if income falls below poverty line then adding assets to make up the difference the assets need to be 3 times income. ......
Edited by Yodrak

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
SO big question, as a note I have read the other topic...to poor to be in love, this is yet a bit different. Preferring to file w/o co sponsor, my questions are about the I-134. If my assets are enough to support at 125% poverty level for 3 years (based on spouse), will this be sufficient? I have not had work in past 5 years (except for a short stint of 7 mos. 3 years ago and unpaid internships and volunteerships in my career field) nor have I needed to file taxes in past 3. I am a bit worried these will be a red flag when listed on the G-325a. I have been living in Germany the last 3 years w my boyfriend now fiancé. I had left the US 5 yrs ago for Europe, previously I had a great job and savings that allowed me to walk away from the rat race to further my education. I completed my masters overseas and spent last year studying german, in hopes of getting a job there. No luck, have returned to the US as the job market seems better. I am still searching for work and have been offered a temp job (5 mos/ 4days a week) in my field, but not to start b4 July. I am still seeking permanent employment but not looking so good in my field, museum work. My fiancé hoped to come over but the closer we look at the paperwork (specifically affidavits), the more depressing it seems as so much seems to rely on my INCOME! Any advice?

If you are living in Germany for 3+ years, why are you petitioning toward a K-1 visa???

Especially if you need/want your partner's financial assitance for the immigration, I am surprised you did not look into a DCF/Direct Consular Filing toward an Immigrant Visa there.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I am wondering if one could use their cash advance limit on a credit card to add to the income level? Also what about a life insurance policy which is already paid for? Are these considered assets?

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

If you are living in Germany for 3+ years, why are you petitioning toward a K-1 visa???

Especially if you need/want your partner's financial assitance for the immigration, I am surprised you did not look into a DCF/Direct Consular Filing toward an Immigrant Visa there.

THank you! sounds more hopeful, but if you are meaning the I-130 visa, from what I understand we need to already be married and even if we did that it still takes far longer than the I-129f and the financial proof is the same meaning still need I-134. Am I wrong???

AOS

07/08/08 - filed AOS

02/23/09 - greencard received

for more details see my timeline

Nagishkaw,

A credit card is not an asset. A life insurance policy that has a cash value is an asset.

Yodrak

I am wondering if one could use their cash advance limit on a credit card to add to the income level? Also what about a life insurance policy which is already paid for? Are these considered assets?

jae,

I-130 is not a visa, it is a petition that is a prerequisite for an immigrant visa application.

The financial requirements are a bit more stringent for an immigrant visa than for a K visa, the I-864 affidavit of support is used not the I-134.

Yodrak

THank you! sounds more hopeful, but if you are meaning the I-130 visa, from what I understand we need to already be married and even if we did that it still takes far longer than the I-129f and the financial proof is the same meaning still need I-134. Am I wrong???

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The I-130 is a prerequisite to an Immigrant Visa; Direct Consular Filing is intended for USCs living abroad.

You do need to be married ( I hear there are faster countries for getting married nearby to Germany), and the financial requirements are often actually *easier* to manage for an IV, when the USC is living abroad.

It offers the opportunity to use assets in lieu of income and the ability to use a Joint Sponsor.

The DCF Guide may help explain it better: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...om&page=dcf

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Yodrak,

Thank you! (F)

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.