k1-2016

April 2017 AOS Filers

2,030 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Just got an update on informed mail, my EAD card is arriving on Thursday. 

And on the SSN card I applied the second day after my arrival and right after we got married I got my name changed on it all before my I-94 expired. 

Drivers lisence worked cause the lady who was very helpful at the DMV requested a verification via SAVE and a week later I got that too all before my EAD got approved. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline
9 hours ago, Sabazou said:

So we got the interview letter and I had a few questions.

It states that I need to bring a few things to the appointment...

1. Her birth certificate with translation. - I already submitted this in the original application AND they gave me an RFE for it so they got it twice. Is this really necessary that I need to pay for ANOTHER translation and have her mom ship out another certificate from Japan? Why do they need this so many times?

2. I-864 with income documentation (unless already submitted) - I submitted this with my original application back in April. I assume I don't need to bring it again but some time has passed since then. Can I just ignore this?

The letter also says you don't have to bring documents/applications you've submitted to the USCIS before. I did not bring the green card application nor the I-864 application. I did however bring original documents I had submitted with the applications (marriage certificate, birth certificate, tax documents etc.). Our officer did not ask to see the applications, but he did ask to see our birth certificates and marriage certificate. Remember to bring both original documents and copies of them.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Went to the social security office today. Had to wait for about 45 minutes. The officer only needed the SS-5 and my green card. Was easy and fast.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Japan
Timeline
9 hours ago, narakthisud said:

My opinion (take it for what it is) is to never give USCIS the opportunity to deny your application for a reason you could have avoided. It is for this reason that I suggest you comply with their requests for a birth certificate with translation and the I-864 as originally submitted. I would imagine that if you had copies of either document that it would be sufficient to bring them to the interview.

I know that this has to be frustrating for you and your wife, especially given that you've already submitted the birth certificate multiple times. But if they deny or slow down processing of your wife's GC because you decided to skip bringing them to the interview knowing full well they requested those items, is it worth the trouble to have to wait weeks or even months for a post-interview status update?

Maybe it's a mindset thing. As citizens, we're accustomed to questioning government bureaucracies and complaining until we get what we want most times. But non-citizen immigrants don't have that luxury as their fate is reliant on a single entity: USCIS. My advice is to bring as much documentation as possible. I'm glad to hear that you got an interview scheduled which means your wife will have her GC very soon!

8 minutes ago, RandB said:

The letter also says you don't have to bring documents/applications you've submitted to the USCIS before. I did not bring the green card application nor the I-864 application. I did however bring original documents I had submitted with the applications (marriage certificate, birth certificate, tax documents etc.). Our officer did not ask to see the applications, but he did ask to see our birth certificates and marriage certificate. Remember to bring both original documents and copies of them.

Thanks for the replies,

I'll err on the safe side and bring an updated I-864 since I've moved and change jobs since the original application and will bring all the important documents such as birth certificates and marriage certificates. I'm kinda worried about the I-693 though. She got her vaccination and medical exam done before entering the country and they put it all in the sealed envelope. I have a copy of the DS-3025 but it says it will expire on 9/30/2017. I know they are valid for a year to the point that you submit your original application so I hope it's ok if she doesn't get a new medical.

Spoiler

USCIS

7/20/2016 ... I-129F Petition mailed
7/27/2016 ... NOA1 (Digital)
8/01/2016 ... NOA1 (Hardcopy)
9/09/2016 ... NOA2 (Digital)

9/14/2016 ... NOA2 (Hardcopy)

NVC

9/19/2016 ... NVC received

9/21/2016 ... Case# and IIN assigned

9/22/2016 ... Petition left NVC

9/25/2016 ... "Ready"

Embassy TKY

10/03/2016 ... Packet 3 Received

10/17/2016 ... Police Records Received

10/20/2016 ... Medical Exam

11/14/2016 ... Interview (Approved)

11/17/2016 ... Visa In Hand

POE

1/02/2017 ... SFO

1/24/2017 ... Married

I-485

02/16/2017 ... I-485 Mailed ( LOST BY USPS!!! )

04/06/2017 ... I-485 Mailed again

04/21/2017 ... NoA 1

05/08/2017 ... RFE Received (Need English Translation for Birth Certificate)

05/15/2017 ... Biometrics appointment in San Francisco

05/18/2017 ... RFE Response Received

07/19/2017 ... I-485 Interview Ready to be Scheduled

10/04/2017 ... I-485 Interview Date

Timeline

Hey everybody,

I am back on visajourney after moving across this massive country and switching jobs. Glad to see that so many people had good news!

I of course also had to switch field offices because of my move. Does anybody have experience with switching offices? Will it take longer?

I haven't heard anything in 2 months (after receiving the "Case is ready to be scheduled..." notification). Hope they haven't forgotten about me.

Package sent: April 20

E-mail NOAs: April 28

RFE: May 18 (sent back the same day)

Biometrics Letter: May 12

Biometrics appointment: June 1

Expedite request EAD: June 14

Expedite request for evidence: June 27 (faxed the same day)

EAD card is being produced: June 29

EAD mailed: June 30

Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview: July 3

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Every week I hope I'll get notification of a scheduling for my AOS....... Processing times for local office still states 'November 30, 2016', I guess we have a while to go yet. Sigh.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Spain
Timeline

Hi everybody! Hope you're all doing well.

Today I got a letter from my local office saying that they need more information on my case before making a decision. I am assuming that is an RFE, but my online status didn't change from Fingerprint Fee was Received. Good thing the mail system worked.

They want the I-693 even though my physical abroad was in January (less than a year) and my vaccinations were marked as complete. So yay, pay again for a physical! They also want evidence of our relationship.

I have one month to send these documents, and hopefully they approve my case soon after they receive them.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
2 hours ago, gray_cat said:

Hi everybody! Hope you're all doing well.

Today I got a letter from my local office saying that they need more information on my case before making a decision. I am assuming that is an RFE, but my online status didn't change from Fingerprint Fee was Received. Good thing the mail system worked.

They want the I-693 even though my physical abroad was in January (less than a year) and my vaccinations were marked as complete. So yay, pay again for a physical! They also want evidence of our relationship.

I have one month to send these documents, and hopefully they approve my case soon after they receive them.

Wow, 5 months into the process and they only sent it now. Unbelievable. Good thing  your EAD and AP have already been approved.

I hope they fix their online status page as receiving a letter with no corresponding change in the online status would scare anyone who has experienced shitty post service. 😔

Just send them loads of evidence. I hope it will increase your chance of getting an approval without an interview.

All the best of luck to you and your spouse.

======================

FOR K-1

Filed: 2016-07-08

Approved: 2016-09-12

Interview: 2016-11-03

US Entry: 2017-02-03

FOR AOS/EAD/AP

Filed: 2017-04-03

NOA1 Date: 2017-04-12

Bio. Appt: 2017-05-03

RFE: None

EAD/AP Approved: 2017-07-25

EAD/AP Card Received: 2017-07-31

RFE: None

AOS Interview Date: None

AOS Approved: 2018-03-17

Green Card Received: 2018-03-23

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Wales
Timeline
22 hours ago, Katrin.TX said:

Hey everybody,

I am back on visajourney after moving across this massive country and switching jobs. Glad to see that so many people had good news!

I of course also had to switch field offices because of my move. Does anybody have experience with switching offices? Will it take longer?

I haven't heard anything in 2 months (after receiving the "Case is ready to be scheduled..." notification). Hope they haven't forgotten about me.

I wouldn't worry about the duration of time that's passed. I've been waiting almost six weeks, myself. I don't expect to hear anything for a while.

You might be in the camp that ends up not having to attend an interview, which is a relief to many, but the obvious drawback is that the process for approval normally takes longer as a result of foregoing said interview.

Good luck!

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline

Has everyone here pretty much received their EAD already?

Lifting Conditions
Event Date
CIS Office : YSC
Date Filed : 2020-03-04
NOA Date : 2020-03-10
RFE(s) :  
Bio. Appt. : 2020-05-13 Case updated without Bio Appointment
Interview Date :  
Approval / Denial Date :  
Approved :  
Got I551 Stamp :  
Green Card Received :  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 hours ago, Troy P said:

Has everyone here pretty much received their EAD already?

At 135 days, I figured we were the last of the April filers to receive ours :(

You might want to check out the awesome VJ timeline search system. I myself did a quick search on the AOS timeline page and found 20 timelines of people who filed in April of this year:

Spoiler

1.... Jan & Rich pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
2.... Leen J & Bren pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
3.... Elizabeth & Genard pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
4.... Raitu & Ginny pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
5.... Rhemy & Howard pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
6.... DH & CP pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
7.... Leah & Luke pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
8.... CL & EL pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
9.... Leizel & Gordon pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
10.... T & D pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
11.... Maria & Kelly pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
12.... Cris & Pat pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
13.... Scilla & Vida pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
14.... Ken & Nancy pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
15.... Y & A pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
16.... R & Y pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
17.... Rhemy & Howard pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
18.... Yoko & Jamison pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
19.... A & D pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif
20.... Marie & Chris pages_icon.gif atb_members.gif

K1 visa journey: 107 days from NOA1 to visa in hand

Spoiler

01 Oct 2016    Mailed I-129F packet (27 pages)
12 Oct 2016    NOA1 SMS and e-mail
03 Nov 2016    NOA2 SMS

24 Jan 2017    Interview
27 Jan 2017    Visa in hand
09 Feb 2017    POE Philadelphia, PA

AOS journey: 256 days from NOA1 to GC in hand

Spoiler

06 Apr 2017    Mailed I-485/I-131/I-765 packet (83 pages)

12 Apr 2017    I-485/I-131/I-765 packet delivered

26 May 2017    Biometrics appointment

25 Aug 2017    EAD/AP card approved

07 Dec 2017    AOS interview

18 Dec 2017    Conditional (2 year) GC in hand!

ROC journey: 374 days

Spoiler

09 Sep 2019    Mailed ROC packet via USPS Priority Mail (ETA 11 Sep)

20 Sep 2019    NOA1/18-month extension letter received

23 Jan 2020    Biometrics appointment

17 Sep 2020    Case approved without interview

Citizenship journey

09 Sep 2020      Submitted N-400 online

10 Dec 2020      Received biometrics reuse notice

20 Apr 2021      Received interview notice

25 May 2021      Interview - RFE for marital evidence

26 May 2021      RFE response submitted online

Cumulative number of pages sent to USCIS: 632

Hey folks, 

I'm curious - and have been unable to find a solid answer to this on the forums - about what the petitioner has to do in terms of the AOS interview? Will my husband (US Citizen/petitioner) be interviewed as well? I've never been entirely clear on this point. 

Thanks in advance, and also, congrats to everyone who has either already had their interview or have had it waived. 

Rock on.

2 hours ago, Simone_Lee said:

Hey folks, 

I'm curious - and have been unable to find a solid answer to this on the forums - about what the petitioner has to do in terms of the AOS interview? Will my husband (US Citizen/petitioner) be interviewed as well? I've never been entirely clear on this point. 

Thanks in advance, and also, congrats to everyone who has either already had their interview or have had it waived. 

Rock on.

Yes your husband must attend the interview with you for Adjustment of Status. 

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

3 minutes ago, Adam&Allison said:

Yes your husband must attend the interview with you for Adjustment of Status. 

Thanks. But, just so I'm clear, will he be interviewed at the interview for Adjustment of Status? Are we both interviewed? In separate rooms, by separate people, or...? 

Edited by Simone_Lee

1 minute ago, Simone_Lee said:

Thanks. But, just so I'm clear, will he be interviewed at the interview for Adjustment of Status? Are we both interviewed? In separate rooms, by separate people, or...? 

Typically no - you're both sat down at a USCIS officers desk together and the interviewer can ask either of you questions. Most people, unless they have red flags, get asked fairly simple questions such as how did you and your partner meet, whens their birthday etc. 

If they suspect immigration fraud they may conduct what is called a Stokes interview - where you're both separated and grilled for an extended period of time, questions such as 'How many TV's do you have in your house, what is the color of your partners underwear' etc. 

"Let us not seek the Republican answer or the Democratic answer, but the right answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future." - John F. Kennedy

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.